Shared library problems with Steam [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pvh1987
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Shared library problems with Steam [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I decided to try out some games with Steam. I found that Dying Light crashes on launch with the message "FATAL ERROR Cannot initialize renderer".

Running Steam from the terminal gives the following errors:

Code:

>>> Adding process 8900 for game ID 239140
GameAction [AppID 239140, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp changed task to WaitingGameWindow with ""
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/user/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/user/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
/home/user/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Dying Light/DyingLightGame: /usr/lib64/libldap_r-2.4.so.2: no version information available (required by /home/user/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcurl-gnutls.so.4)
/home/user/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Dying Light/DyingLightGame: /usr/lib64/liblber-2.4.so.2: no version information available (required by /home/user/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcurl-gnutls.so.4)

I read somewhere that the gameoverlayrenderer.so errors are not to be worried about. The problem is clearly that Steam uses a mixture of system libraries in /usr/lib64 and Steam-bundled libraries. After a bit of research, I found out that openldap was not build with gnutls support. So I did a rebuild but I still get the same errors.

Next, I looked into libcurl-gnutls. I found out that by installing the libcurl-debian package, I got symlinks for libcurl-gnutls.so.4 and libcurl-nss.so.4 poiting to libcurl.so.4. However, these are located in /usr/lib64/debiancompat rather than /usr/lib64, so Steam cannot find them and still tries to use the bundled libraries.

I created new symlinks in /usr/lib64 and finally, Steam is now using the system libcurl-gnutls rather than the bundled version. But otherwise, still the same errors.

So, I found out that curl is build with openssl instead of gnutls. After setting CURL_SSL="gnutls" in my make.conf, this is the new output:

Code:

>>> Adding process 10677 for game ID 239140
GameAction [AppID 239140, ActionID 3] : LaunchApp changed task to WaitingGameWindow with ""
/home/user/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Dying Light/DyingLightGame: /usr/lib64/libcurl-gnutls.so.4: no version information available (required by libengine.so)

So there is still something wrong.

As a last resort, I tried to force Dying Light to use the Steam-bundled libraries:

Code:

$ cd ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Dying\ Light
$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/home/user/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/;/home/user/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu" ./DyingLightGame

This time the splash screen comes up, the game appears to start but crashed with a box saying "Materials database was not correctly initialized. Please make sure that the global_*.mp files are present in Assets_XXX (platform specific) folder or in build Data folder."

I am not sure what to make of the above message, but it is clear that I solved some major problems by forcing the Steam-bundled libraries. The question is now: How do I setup Steam to use the bundled libraries by default?

Thanks in advance :-)

Last edited by pvh1987 on Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
pvh1987
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow I managed to get the game started using the same command in the terminal, forcing the bundled libraries. I did not change anything. I am not sure why it suddenly works...

Furthermore, the next day, when I started Steam again, it updated itself. Now I can launch the game from within Steam as well and it appears to use the bundled libraries now. So I guess the issue is solved, at least for now :-)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: