Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] WICD - "No wireless networks found" kernel upgrade
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] WICD - "No wireless networks found" kerne Reply with quote

Hello all,

I am using the iwlwifi driver (with iwldvm) and the iwl6005-ucode firmware for my wireless NIC. Previously, I was running the 4.12.3 kernel, and WICD worked just fine. Now, on the 4.18.8 kernel, WICD only shows "No wireless networks found". I've been troubleshooting, but haven't found anything that may have caused the change in behaviour. I thought that possibly there was a change in how wifi scanning worked because `iwlist wlp3s0 scan` now shows "Interface doesn't support scanning", but I tried that same command using the previous kernel and the output is the same. Using `iw dev wlp3s0 scan | grep "SSID:"` shows a list of the available networks, though.

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

Cheers,
Nathan Zachary

Last edited by NathanZachary on Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: WICD - "No wireless networks found" after kern Reply with quote

NathanZachary wrote:
Any thoughts?

NathanZachary ... as wicd depends on (the now depreciated) WEXT (wireless extentions), and so too does net-wireless/wireless-tools (from which 'iwlist' is provided), then I expect that you're missing CONFIG_CFG80211_WEXT (the WEXT compatibility layer for NL80211/CFG80211). That would explain why 'iw' works as expected, as it uses NL80211 directly.

best ... khay
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the pointer; that was indeed the problem. Odd, though, since I had switched WICD to use the nl80211 WPA Supplicant driver. I'm guessing that it didn't actually honour that preference, so going back to WEXT and making sure that configuration was enabled in my kernel fixed the issue.

Thanks again for the suggestion; much appreciated!

Cheers,
Nathan Zachary
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NathanZachary wrote:
Thank you very much for the pointer; that was indeed the problem. Odd, though, since I had switched WICD to use the nl80211 WPA Supplicant driver. I'm guessing that it didn't actually honour that preference, so going back to WEXT and making sure that configuration was enabled in my kernel fixed the issue.

NathanZachary ... wicd uses wpa_supplicant for the authentication, etc (and wpa_supplicant is fully NL80211 aware), but for listing available networks, etc, it uses WEXT, and so wouldn't be able to provide network information without CFG80211_WEXT.

NathanZachary wrote:
Thanks again for the suggestion; much appreciated!

You're welcome & best ... khay
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: