"emacs: standard input is not a tty"
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goingfast
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: "emacs: standard input is not a tty" Reply with quote

Hey.

It's my first gentoo install and I got literally everything setup like I had on arch except I cant run emacs. If I launch it from a launcher like rofi, interrobang, dmenu etc etc then I get an error: "emacs: standard input is not a tty". What is the problem and how can I fix it? I'd really appreciate if anyone helps me out. Thanks
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: "emacs: standard input is not a tty" Reply with quote

goingfast wrote:
It's my first gentoo install and I got literally everything setup like I had on arch except I cant run emacs. If I launch it from a launcher like rofi, interrobang, dmenu etc etc then I get an error: "emacs: standard input is not a tty". What is the problem and how can I fix it? I'd really appreciate if anyone helps me out. Thanks

goingfast ... something of a guess: by default app-editors/emacs doesn't have x11/gtk+ useflags enabled, so while you may expect the launcher to launch the full, all bells and whistles, "emacs", the minimal build you have installed expects to be run in a terminal (and so have a tty).

best ... khay
goingfast
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: "emacs: standard input is not a tty" Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
goingfast wrote:

goingfast ... something of a guess: by default app-editors/emacs doesn't have x11/gtk+ useflags enabled, so while you may expect the launcher to launch the full, all bells and whistles, "emacs", the minimal build you have installed expects to be run in a terminal (and so have a tty).

best ... khay

I checked "equery uses emacs" and it shows that its installed with "gtk gtk3 acl alsa inotify jpeg png ssl systemd threads xft xpm zlib" flags
goingfast
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after hours of headache I figured it out. The USE flags were enabled, but they werent installed. So new question is whats the correct procedure to add a new USE flag and update the packages? I did emerge -avDuN <package>. had to do emerge -1 <package> to fix my issue
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goingfast wrote:
after hours of headache I figured it out. The USE flags were enabled, but they werent installed. So new question is whats the correct procedure to add a new USE flag and update the packages? I did emerge -avDuN <package>. had to do emerge -1 <package> to fix my issue

goingfast ... if you provide '-u,--update' and no "update" is available, then there is nothing in atom to merge. Generally to have use changes selected, you would use '--changed-use', or '--newuse', eg:

Code:
# emerge --oneshot --ask --changed-use app-editors/emacs

'--changed-use' is not strictly needed here (it's most often used with a @set ... eg, @world), as 'emerge -1 <package>' is enough (as your experience shows).

best ... khay
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: