[SOLVED]Extracting DVD subtitles
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED]Extracting DVD subtitles Reply with quote

Hi,

I usually rip DVDs with Handbrake, but a particular disc is proving problematic. It's a French-language film (Taxi, 1998) and ghb can't detect any subtitle track. The subtitles are displayed perfectly when playing the disc in VLC or mplayer.

I had a look at the data files on the disc, and there are .IFO and .BUP files (which are identical to each other) to match each .VOB file in the VIDEO_TS folder. GNU file tells me these are subtitle files. However I can't load these manually into Handbrake as it only takes .srt files as external input, and I haven't found any app that can convert or otherwise work with them. (I did find info that avidemux could do a two-step conversion, but the version in portage seems pretty broken and doesn't have the options mentioned in its documentation for doing this.)

I have found some .srt downloads for this film, but the user-ratings for them are poor and I'd like to crack the problem of extracting the subtitles that are on the disc if I can, as I've got other DVDs which may present the same issue.

Any advice would be welcome.

Last edited by Havin_it on Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my knowledge the DVD subtitles are bitmaps, so you need some sort of text recognition software to convert them into text (srt).
Avidemux dropped this feature, the documentation is outdated.
You may have better luck using Gaupol to fix the srt files to your liking, it is very versatile tool and can do practically anything needed. You will need this tool even if you decide to convert from bitmaps, because there will be lots of errors.
P.Kosunen
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MakeMKV rips also subtitles.
Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys, sorry I didn't get a chance to reply for a while (hate it when life impinges on more important things lol).

Having had no further success with the tools you mentioned, I was about to try something else when I realised what was up. The DVD subs are actually burned-in to the video track (hence why Handbrake couldn't find the track, although it's odd that ffprobe did indicate presence of a subtitle track ... anyhoo...).

Thing is, the subs were positioned in the lower margin of the frame (black area) which Handbrake was auto-cropping when transcoding. Soooo, all I needed to do was disable this, and reduce the cropping on the bottom so the sub lines were still in view.

This is a foreign-language film (as is the other DVD I have from this publisher, Prism Leisure) so I'm not so bothered about the subs being burned-in. Would be a bit annoying otherwise.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: