[SOLVED] Failing to create new project with .ui in QtCreator
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pusrob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Failing to create new project with .ui in QtCreator Reply with quote

Hi.

I'm having a problem with creating a new project in Qt Creator. I do the following to achieve the problem:
New File or Project -> Qt Widget Application -> (Location) next -> (Kits) next -> Details

This is where the problem occurs. When I hit the "Next" button and the "Generate form" box is checked in, I get the following error message:
Quote:
Failed to obtain Designer plugin code generation service.

Pressing OK here will close the wizard. If I uncheck the "Generate form" box, than I can create a project without problem, but I will not be able to edit the GUI, because the Design button on the side panel is disabled and there is no .ui file generated. Interestingly, I do have Qt Designer installed as well, which seems to work fine, so I'm not sure what the problem might be. I have all use flags turned off for Creator, as I wanted a minimal installation of it.

I also read some posts/bug reports at Qt with the same problem (there is a gentoo specific one here: https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-19260), but they say it is a distro related issue.

Does anybody have some clues how can I fix this?

Thanks.

Last edited by pusrob on Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
pusrob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here's what I found out so far from the source code of the Qt Creator wizard:

The wizard needs "QtDesignerFormClassCodeGenerator" plugin to generate code and put it into header and source files. If the header and source contents are empty (because there was no generator to fill them), it will display the error message in my original post and return with false.

Ergo, what I need to do is to find the above mentioned plugin. Does anybody have any idea which use flag I need to turn on to get it?
Or let's turn the question around: how can I check which use flag disables the compilation of qtdesignerformclasscodegenerator.cpp?

In the meantime, I'll just keep looking...
pusrob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I found the problem. After searching here and there I found out that the designer use flag must be turned on, which is not a default (but webengine is for some reason). Probably it would be best if designer was also turned on by default, as it is quite a crucial part of creator, but it is just my opinion. I don't know how did I overlook it, but it doesn't matter, as the solution has been found.

Thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: