How to build a toolchain for arm cortex-m and cortex-r
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rapsure
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: How to build a toolchain for arm cortex-m and cortex-r Reply with quote

So crossdev almost can build a functioning toolchain for embedded arm development. I do embedded arm development for my job so this is critical to have a fully functioning toolchain. Here is how to do it.

Step 1:
Code:
crossdev --lenv 'USE="nano -nls -threads -unicode"' -s3 -t arm-unknown-eabi

Step 2:
Code:
crossdev --lenv 'USE="nano -nls -threads -unicode"' --genv 'USE="cxx -nls -nptl -pch -pie -ssp" EXTRA_ECONF="--with-multilib-list=rmprofile --disable-decimal-float --disable-libffi --disable-libgomp --disable-libmudflap --disable-libquadmath --disable-shared --disable-threads --disable-tls"' -s4 -t arm-unknown-eabi

Step 3:
Code:
emerge cross-arm-unknown-eabi/newlib

Step 4: to get gdb
Code:
crossdev --lenv 'USE="nano -nls -threads -unicode"' --genv 'USE="cxx -nls -nptl -pch -pie -ssp" EXTRA_ECONF="--with-multilib-list=rmprofile --disable-decimal-float --disable-libffi --disable-libgomp --disable-libmudflap --disable-libquadmath --disable-shared --disable-threads --disable-tls"' -s4 --ex-gdb -t arm-unknown-eabi

Now you'll have a functioning multilib / multiarch for embedded arm development with small code output size. Maybe someday these changes can be incorporated into crossdev.

Maybe make this a sticky. I took a lot of time to figure out all of the switches and the process.

With changes to toolchain.eclass as of August 2018 you will need to edit the file to disable --enable-float=soft

Change on line 1116:
Code:
        yes)   confgcc+=( --with-float=soft ) ;;

to
Code:
        yes)    ;;

eugene-bright
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: eclass fix Reply with quote

Thanks for your post!
The eclass fix on it's way.
https://bugs.gentoo.org/666896
KAMIKAZE_
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After upgrading I've got my micropython firmware build failing with:

Quote:

CC build-PYBV11/pins_PYBV11.c
LINK build-PYBV11/firmware.elf
arm-none-eabi-ld: error: build-PYBV11/firmware.elf uses VFP register arguments, /usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/8.2.0/libgcc.a(_udivmoddi4.o) does not
arm-none-eabi-ld: failed to merge target specific data of file /usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/8.2.0/libgcc.a(_udivmoddi4.o)
make: *** [Makefile:528: build-PYBV11/firmware.elf] Error 1

rapsure
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
After upgrading I've got my micropython firmware build failing with:

That is because your comping with hardware fpu support and linking against a soft fpu gcc. The instuctions I gave above gives a multilib build of libc-nano and the smallest code size for a Cortex-M or Cortex-R.
triffid_hunter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that lots of modern toolchains want arm-none-eabi to have hardfp support, however by default, cross-arm-none-eabi/newlib won't make hardfp libraries but it can be convinced to build them with a configure flag - that means we can make a arm-none-eabi toolchain with -mfloat-abi=soft,softfp,and hard support with this command:

Code:
crossdev --lenv 'USE="nano -nls -threads -unicode" EXTRA_ECONF="--enable-newlib-hw-fp"' --genv 'USE="cxx -nls -nptl -pch -pie -ssp" EXTRA_ECONF="--with-multilib-list=rmprofile --disable-decimal-float --disable-libffi --disable-libgomp --disable-libmudflap --disable-libquadmath --disable-shared --disable-threads --disable-tls"' -s4 --ex-gdb -t arm-none-eabi

Note the added EXTRA_ECONF="--enable-newlib-hw-fp" under --lenv.
rapsure
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:26 pm    Post subject: The instructions are functional Reply with quote

So I've use the above process to create binaries for the nrf51, and nrf52 and any Cortex-M... architecture. Never had a problem. I could even find compiler bugs by comparing between several different versions.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: