how to setup i3status?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
howdoIusegentoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: how to setup i3status? Reply with quote

I want my i3status config is located in /etc/status.conf but I want it to be located in ~/.config/i3status/config but I cant create a file there. I have my XDG_CONFIG_HOME="$HOME/.config" but when I uninstalled and reinstalled i3status it still putted the config to /etc/status.conf. I have my PATH set to $HOME/.Scripts/ so my question would be that how do I put my config to $HOME/.config and make it so that it would go there as default? Right now it wont recognize any configs not even the /etc/status.conf
howdoIusegentoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:47 am    Post subject: config files Reply with quote

how do I set it so that if I install for example i3status that the config comes to my $HOME directory, specifically ~/.config/ because right now all the config files are only in /etc/ it seems. Do I copy them over (doesnt seem to work) or create a symbolic link or what?
coolparadox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently use i3blocks instead of i3status; however as their configs are very similar perhaps my setup can be useful to solve your issue.

First, /etc/i3status.conf is a default system config for this package that is eventually updated during package updates; so I would avoid using it for personal tuning of i3status parameters. As you mentioned, ~/.config/i3status/config is a better choice.

As per my understanding of i3status manpage, if XDG_CONFIG_HOME is unset then ~/.config/i3status/config is tried as default. (I don't have XDG_CONFIG_HOME in my system, and my ~/.config/i3blocks/config is read just fine by i3blocks).

In my ~/.config/i3/config, i3blocks is called without any argument by status_command inside bar section:

Code:
bar {
        mode dock
        hidden_state show
        modifier none
        status_command i3blocks
}
coolparadox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe such setting is possible as config files are static parts of installed packages with predefined locations, /etc being the directory for system wide configuration of packages.

The correct approach would be you to create your own ~/.config/i3status/config by yourself (copy from /etc/i3status.conf and make your desired changes).

In which way this approach doesn't seem to work for you? (What have you tried?)

Note: not sure it helps, but i3status has -c option for forcing a specific configuration file.
howdoIusegentoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh okay, well I'll just do that then, I dont have problem with /etc files but specifically problem that I dont seem to have ~/.config files
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folder's starting with a period/dot are automatically hidden. So to see these folders, you need to make sure to use the -a option for ls (there is often a option to display all files in with ever file manager you use). As far as config changes for your account, you either have to file where i3status hidden it (not all packages put their config in .config). There is even times that the personal config will not be made automatically, and you will have to create the file (in the correct place for automatic loading). I don't use i3status, so I don't know where it looks for configs.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merged the topic config files with its three (3) replies from Other Things Gentoo, as it seemed to be about this same issue.

Due to the timing of the posts, the first reply by coolparadox is to the first post of the current topic, and the initial post of the merged topic landed betwixt, which may seem confusing. The replies after that are to the second post.

Sore wa sore, kore wa kore.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: