Migrating my Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
josephg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Migrating my Gentoo Reply with quote

So I have another device.. a netbook. Small by CPU, memory, diskspace, size etc. but Big by battery efficiency i.e. lasting far longer. It is also much easier to carry around.

How can I transfer or migrate my Gentoo on this big laptop to the other small one? I would like to keep the world file and configs in sync, if possible.

I think I only want to install binpkgs on the netbook, as I don't want to build on the netbook. I would mostly use my netbook on the go. Perhaps, when I am home, I could just issue a sync to install updated binpkgs.

Can I compile separate binpkgs for my netbook on my laptop? CPUs are still Intel but different. Laptop is Core2Duo but Netbook is Celeron. I use 32bit everywhere, which I will keep on my netbook along with the laptop.

I would also like to compile the kernel for the netbook on the laptop, so I don't need to have any build packages/dependencies on the netbook and I can keep it perhaps leaner & cleaner.

I have seem many forum posts asking to Google for Stage4, but I don't find useful posts for my usecase.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partition and format disk, rsync all your files and reinstall grub.
You're welcome
Maitreya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure that the compiled binpkgs are compatible with your other CPU.
What are the cflags used on the old machine?
Also start installing the newer laptop anyway because you probably want it to boot to a minimal system before applying binpkgs and the world file.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can look into a stage 4 or rsnapshot to create an image. As long as the CPU is similar but newer, ie both intel, you should be fine.

What I would do is put portage, including your packages, on an nfs share. When you want to install a package you would manually mount this share and install away. This also saves extra syncs.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: