Anybody using Fritzing?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmichal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:42 am    Post subject: Anybody using Fritzing? Reply with quote

I installed fritzing-0.9.2 using the in-tree ebuild and had a number of problems. I'm curious if these have been seen elsewhere, and can provide some hints on getting around them.

1) First problem, the ebuild currently doesn't install the 'parts' resources fritzing looks for on startup. There is a patch to the ebuild in a bug report:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=548624

2) Second problem. For me, Fritzing crashed with a segmentation fault as soon I tried to select a part. I tracked this down into libqxcb in dev-qt/qtgui-5.4.2-r1.
I added a one-line patch to qglxconvenience.cpp :
after line 153:
XVisualInfo *visual = glXGetVisualFromFBConfig(display, chosenConfig);
I added:
if (visual == NULL) continue;

3) Things are good then, until trying to load or save a file, at which point Fritzing crashes with a segfault again.
This appears to be a problem with quazip. The ebuild strips out a bundled version and uses system quazip. I tried both versions of quazip currently in portage, 0.6.2-r1 and 0.7.1, but fritzing doesn't seem to like either. Allowing the bundled quazip to be built (and re-enabling linking to zlib) in the ebuild appears to have solved all my problems.

Has anybody else run across any of these issues?
russK
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I duplicated your report. Got really excited when the patch fixed the parts folder issue but crashed when trying to save. Bummer.

I did not do your step number 2 and it did not crash for me when selecting a part. I'm using nvidia graphics and opengl, I wonder if that's the difference there.

I did an strace to try to see why it crashes when saving but could not really tell why. Perhaps building with debug would shed some light.
cmichal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah,

I just noticed the use flags on quazip. I had qt4 -qt5. Changing that to qt5 -qt4 it seems to work!

I built it on a machine with nvidia graphics and the patch to qtgui wasn't necessary for me there either.

Looks like the qbuild should have
dev-libs/quazip[qt5]
as a dependency.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just stepping away from the software/Gentoo .

Please reconsider Fritzing. From an electrical point of view it really doesn't help much and if you show Fritzing diagrams to others, they are really hard to follow
russK
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmichal wrote:
Ah,

I just noticed the use flags on quazip. I had qt4 -qt5. Changing that to qt5 -qt4 it seems to work!

Yes that fixed it for me too.

package.use:
Code:
dev-libs/quazip -qt4 qt5

Regards
tchiwam
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, all if this thread helps :)
The patch and the quazip USE dep on qt5

I will try it on arm after this.
tchiwam
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did use it extensively and now noticed it needs a maintainer. I was long time ago a dev, I can keep and eye on it as I use it for the workshops with the kids in town. Maintainer Proxy maybe ?

I simply don't want it to be dropped from the tree.

arm64 , arm and x86_64 are all working well.
psutokth
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Status in early 2019 Reply with quote

Hi, here is an update for anyone looking at this around February 2019.

The version of Fritzing in portage is 0.9.2 from 2015. The current version available directly from fritzing.org is 0.9.3 from 2016.

I use gnome and portage wanted to pull in several QT packages. Combined with the version being older, I declined to try it.

Instead I followed in instructions on the website, which didn't actually say to install it. I downloaded the 64-bit package, unzipped it into a folder in my home directory and ran the executable from there. It seemed to work fine for my first sketch. I'd never used Fritzing before, so I can't say if it didn't look right or had any hitches. There was occasional lag and contradictory reporting about nets/connections routed, but those were the only small issues.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again... Please don't
Please learn to draw proper electrical diagrams. Kicad is kept upto date in-tree and it's schema is one that all electrical engineers understand.
steve_v
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
Kicad is kept upto date in-tree and it's schema is one that all electrical engineers understand.

I've tried to get into KiCAD, and I can't seem to do it. Even though it's neither open nor free, I'm still using my ancient (pre autodesk) copy of Eagle for pretty much everything.
psutokth
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
Again... Please don't
Please learn to draw proper electrical diagrams...that all electrical engineers understand.

Hey this is an open source linux forum right? Different people make different decisions and just might even have different use cases! I'm not making a PCB, I'm showing how I connected off-the-shelf parts to an Arduino to make the system do what I wanted. That view, the kind of cartoon of physical objects, helps us normal people understand what someone has done with their parts. It seems to me Fritzing is quite good at that, having a lot of Arduino parts and being fairly well integrated with an Arduino workflow.
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
Again... Please don't
Please learn to draw proper electrical diagrams. Kicad is kept upto date in-tree and it's schema is one that all electrical engineers understand.

That's a silly comment. In what way does using fritzing impact Gentoo or Linux? Perhaps rephrase it as "I recommend using a different package if you want to draw circuit diagrams".

I quite liked fritzing and its handling of breadboards - maybe that feature is in other packages, but I didn't find any at the time I used it a few years back.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:
Naib wrote:
Again... Please don't

That's a silly comment. In what way does using fritzing impact Gentoo or Linux? Perhaps rephrase it as "I recommend using a different package if you want to draw circuit diagrams".

I quite liked fritzing and its handling of breadboards - maybe that feature is in other packages, but I didn't find any at the time I used it a few years back.
It isn't a silly comment because it is a PSA because reviewing a fritzing diagram is beyond painful. This is from an electrical engineering point of view, the use of Fritzing is actually a short-term hindrance than ignorant hobbyist dont fully appreciate. "ooo pretty it looks like I build" and medium/long its non-viable.

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/244482/how-do-you-connect-a-load-cell-to-a-raspberry-pi-3-through-an-amplifier-and-anal
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: