View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhoenixStarEclipse
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: [Solved] Where is default $TERM set? Reply with quote

In recent linux systems, xterm has 256color support, so xterm-256color doesn't have to appear. However, my $TERM happens to be xterm-256color. I've checked .bashrc and /etc/bashrc, but found nothing about $TERM. I'm just curious where it was initially set.

I don't tend to change /etc/bash/bashrc, since it should only affect interactive shells, while I'd like it to affect everything.

Thanks for your time :D.

Last edited by PhoenixStarEclipse on Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Where is default $TERM set? Reply with quote

PhoenixStarEclipse wrote:
In recent linux systems, xterm has 256color support, so xterm-256color doesn't have to appear. However, my $TERM happens to be xterm-256color. I've checked .bashrc and /etc/bashrc, but found nothing about $TERM. I'm just curious where it was initially set.

PhoenixStarEclipse ... it's set/reported by the terminal, or in the case of console by inittab/agetty. So, if you run screen, or tmux, within your xterm it'll detect the term supports 256 colours and set/report 'screen-256color'. For this reason you shouldn't set TERM in .bashrc or what-have-you.

HTH & best ... khay
PhoenixStarEclipse
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Where is default $TERM set? Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:

PhoenixStarEclipse ... it's set/reported by the terminal, or in the case of console by inittab/agetty. So, if you run screen, or tmux, within your xterm it'll detect the term supports 256 colours and set/report 'screen-256color'. For this reason you shouldn't set TERM in .bashrc or what-have-you.

HTH & best ... khay

So why did inittab set TERM to xterm-256color, something that doesn't even exist?
And why does simply running "xterm" gives me 256color support?
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
xterm-256color, something that doesn't even exist?

What do you mean by 'it doesn't exist'?
Code:
# ls -la /etc/terminfo/x/xterm-256color
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3713 Mar 26 20:26 /etc/terminfo/x/xterm-256color

# qfile /etc/terminfo/x/xterm-256color
sys-libs/ncurses (/etc/terminfo/x/xterm-256color)

Last edited by mike155 on Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is default $TERM set? Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
[...] it's set/reported by the terminal, or in the case of console by inittab/agetty. So, if you run screen, or tmux, within your xterm it'll detect the term supports 256 colours and set/report 'screen-256color'. For this reason you shouldn't set TERM in .bashrc or what-have-you.

So why did inittab set TERM to xterm-256color, something that doesn't even exist?

PhoenixStarEclipse ... read carefully, the statement about "inittab" was prefaced with "in the case of console", and as I said, for xterm, urxvt, st, etc, TERM would be set by the terminal itself.

And why does simply running "xterm" gives me 256color support?

Because x11-terms/xterm supports 256 colours and so is distinct (terminfo wise) from the original xterm.

best ... khay
reavertm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer then since at least mc built with ncurses doesn't seem to play nice with mouse in X11 terminal, when TERM is set to xterm-*color.

See https://midnight-commander.org/ticket/3954
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So just change inittab if you are running OpenRC
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: