Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Q about make.conf and hardware change based on forums view.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mightysilentsaint
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Q about make.conf and hardware change based on forums view. Reply with quote

hello, i am a somewhat of an experienced gnu+linux user for the last 5 years, it has been 3 years since i fully moved to arch as my daily driver and i recently moved to gentoo.

i followed the amd64 handbook and no other source when installing the base system with openrc and no gui, i also didn't compile my own kernel and took the "genkernel all" route as it looked like it requires some in depth studying. I'm currently running gentoo with i3-gaps.

after the base install, i listed every installed software on my arch install and cherry picked the every single thing that i need, found the gentoo equivalent of the package names and went to the installation process with emerge. it took me around 9 hours to add the use flags required, emerge world, rinse and repeat. after 9 hours of only compiling the use flags, it took me 5 or more hours to compile software themselves that required the use flags to get compiled. i also saw that installing xorg-server installs every gpu driver even though i only use xf86-video-intel.

my first question is, am i doing something wrong with the use and other flags in my make.conf so that it takes so much time to compile things or is it just because i need a better cpu in the first place?

i have:
>intel pentium k g3258@4.3ghz core and 3.8ghz uncore clocks. (it's literally a i5 4690k split in half minus the vt-d support)
>2x4gb 9 9 9 24 1600mhz corsair vengeance ram, 8 gigs in total.
>1tb 7200rpm 64mb cache wd caviar blue hdd

here's my make.conf:

Code:

CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=haswell -O2 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx mmxext pclmul popcnt sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3"
VIDEO_CARDS="intel i965"

MAKEOPTS="-j2"

GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://mirror.bytemark.co.uk/gentoo/"

USE="d3d9 staging run-exes lcms fluidsynth mad cxx  cms mono gecko abi_x86_32 abi_x86_64 berkdb crypt ipv6 samba ssl syslog tcpd  truetype type1 cleartype corefonts X aac aalib alsa bzip2 cairo curl cxx dbus dri ffmpeg flac fontconfig ftp gif git gnome-keyring gstreamer gtk gzip hddtemp imlib javascript jpeg jpeg2k lame lm_sensors matroska modules midi mp3 mp4 mpeg mtp ncurses nls networkmanager opengl png threads  realtime udisks xcomposite posix perl pulseaudio python ruby samba sound ssl tiff unicode usb vcd videos vnc -libproxy -webkit x264 xml zsh-completion -debug -experimental -gnutls -iodbc -kerberos -kinit -libressl -minimal -odbc -overlays sasl (-selinux) -slp -smbkrb5passwd -static-libs"

# NOTE: This stage was built with the bindist Use flag enabled
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"

# This sets the language of build output to English.
# Please keep this setting intact when reporting bugs.
LC_MESSAGES=C

this was my first question.

my second question is, i have around 300 quid to spend on a new build or a thinkpad.

my options are:

1: thinkpad x250 12.5" ips = i7-5600u 2c/4t, single channel 8gb ddr3, 500gb ssd
2: custom build = xeon w3680 6c/12t overclocked to 4ghz+, triple channel 12gb ddr3, x58 rampage gene ii mobo, gtx 970/960 4gb

i am well aware of the fact that the w3680 is way better than a low tdp laptop chip but i want to have a machine that i can carry around and have around as a trusty friend for ages, but if i'm going to pull my hair and have heart attacks every single time i want to install something via portage, that'll be a big issue.

i do not want build/laptop advice, these are my options i have in mind and i want to go with the thinkpad route if it won't cause extreme time loss based on the performance like my g3258@4.3ghz does, i know that 5600u has worse performance compared to my g3258@4.3ghz based on the geekbench4 results.

what should i do about these two questions? thanks all for replying.
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might be interested in the desktop profiles (eselect profile list), it would let you cut down the USE section of your make.conf (since it does the desktop based ones for you)... i'm not sure if 14 hours is unreasonable, it depends on how many packages you installed, and which ones (libreoffice can take forever for example).

banned from #gentoo since sept 2017
mightysilentsaint
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunder wrote:
you might be interested in the desktop profiles (eselect profile list), it would let you cut down the USE section of your make.conf (since it does the desktop based ones for you)... i'm not sure if 14 hours is unreasonable, it depends on how many packages you installed, and which ones (libreoffice can take forever for example).

i already selected the profile when i'm installing the base system if that's what you are referring to.

currently
Code:
  [12]  default/linux/amd64/17.0 (stable) *

is selected.
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for not being concise, I was referring to one of these:

Code:
  [16]  default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop (stable) *
  [17]  default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop/gnome (stable)
  [18]  default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop/gnome/systemd (stable)
  [19]  default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop/plasma (stable)
  [20]  default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop/plasma/systemd (stable)

The base "17.0" is adequate, but as you saw, you had to add a lot of use flags to get desktop apps installed, using one of the desktop profiles can help cut down on that.

Cheers

banned from #gentoo since sept 2017
mightysilentsaint
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunder wrote:

Code:

The base "17.0" is adequate, but as you saw, you had to add a lot of use flags to get desktop apps installed, using one of the desktop profiles can help cut down on that.

Cheers

i already have done the compiling for all the desktop thingy and have a fully working system though, wouldn't it take ages to make such a change in the system as the wiki says?
HungGarTiger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightysilentsaint wrote:
bunder wrote:

Code:

Cheers

i already have done the compiling for all the desktop thingy and have a fully working system though, wouldn't it take ages to make such a change in the system as the wiki says?

Switching profiles can take some time recompiling but it's not debilitating. For example I'm running an Intel Atom Celeron N2840 @2.16GHz and it takes me several hours (a full emerge -e @world takes over 12 hours) but, I just leave the system running over night. Even on my light system, it's still functional during the compile process.
mightysilentsaint
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HungGarTiger wrote:
mightysilentsaint wrote:
bunder wrote:

Code:

Cheers

Switching profiles can take some time recompiling but it's not debilitating. For example I'm running an Intel Atom Celeron N2840 @2.16GHz and it takes me several hours (a full emerge -e @world takes over 12 hours) but, I just leave the system running over night. Even on my light system, it's still functional during the compile process.

thank you for your response but your situation is what i'm trying to avoid in both of the questions. what can you say about the hardware part of my questions? is it slow because my hardware is limited, which path should i take with the money i have?
HungGarTiger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightysilentsaint wrote:
HungGarTiger wrote:
mightysilentsaint wrote:
bunder wrote:

Code:

Cheers

thank you for your response but your situation is what i'm trying to avoid in both of the questions. what can you say about the hardware part of my questions? is it slow because my hardware is limited, which path should i take with the money i have?

Switching profiles is something that happens very rarely, so the longer compile time is easily planned for to minimize disruption on your daily drivers. It's honestly not as bad as you might initially think, remember you have just recently completed a full installation, the next time you update it will take you a fraction of the time. There are very few packages that take a while to compile, Firefox, Chrome, GCC, Clang, being some of the main offenders. These take hours for me but some members have them done in around 30 minutes.

Also, "slow" is a relative term. The Thinkpad would seem lightning fast to me but I'm sure some users would probably get frustrated with it. I'm sure it will be more than sufficient for your needs, in which you seem to prioritize mobility. So I would suggest that option, Thinkpads are known to be Linux friendly so as far as I'm aware they present very few issues.

In regards to Xorg pulling in every GPU driver, that doesn't sound right to me but that may have something to do with your insane amount of USE flags.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
VIDEO_CARDS="intel i965"

I run all AMD but I suspect that the above line is what's causing all gpu drivers to be installed. Either than or your kernel is loading every driver in the world because you haven't edited it.

You have a tremendous number of use flags that I suspect are not needed except for specific packages. An example:
Code:
#first as policy no RedHat stuff
USE="-acl -perl -caps -ldap -nls -libav -mysql -orc \
     -gnome -gnome-keyring -policykit -consolekit -udev -dbus -jack -pulseaudio  \
     -udev -udisks -upower -networkmanager"
#now remove other useless stuff
USE="$USE -accessability -bluetooth -guile -qt4 -qt5 -ipv6 -gtk3"
#now add stuff I want
USE="$USE alsa dvb dvd dvdr ffmpeg v4l ftp jpeg gbm \
     gstreamer python scanner sndfile samba sqlite suid tahoma truetype tk xpm \
     xv multislot gtk3  X"

Notice I spend a lot of time specifying this I don't want. If you don't care about fighting RedHat like most people, then that could be simplified to:
Code:

USE="alsa dvb dvd dvdr ffmpeg v4l ftp jpeg gbm  gstreamer python scanner sndfile samba sqlite suid tahoma truetype tk xpm \
     xv multislot gtk3  X"
That still has many flags that most people don't want. Most of your custom flags should come from your profile, especially if you run KDE or GNOME. All my machines, except one old headless machine use profile:
Code:
default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop (stable)

You may also have polluted your world file with libraries. Try "grep lib /var/lib/portage/world".

My AMD hardware seems roughly equivalent to your Intel equipment. Nine hours for a substantial build is not unreasonable. Gcc alone would take that long. Most weekly updates take ten minutes to an hour, depending on the size of the package. I don't compile firefox or thunderbird. I use firefox-bin and thunderbird-bin because I see no performance difference.[/code]
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thumb rule for MAKEOPTS is number of virtual cores plus one, which helps keep them busy. Doing that should result in a modest compile time reduction.

- John
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightysilentsaint wrote:
Where does the Wiki say that? Switching profiles only changes what options are selected by default. If you already had those options selected by hand, no recompilation will be needed.

The system should not install all Xorg drivers unless you configured it to do so. Please post the output of emerge --pretend --verbose x11-base/xorg-drivers. More generally, whenever you question whether the system is doing the right thing, please post the output showing the questionable result, instead of only a description of what happened.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
The system should not install all Xorg drivers unless you configured it to do so.
In the absence of the VIDEO_CARDS and INPUT_DEVICES variables in make.conf, x11-base/xorg-drivers does build a larger default selection of drivers. It's not all by any means, though.

@mightysilentsaint, take a look at the Xorg Guide on the Gentoo Wiki for details.

- John
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but his initial post has a make.conf that seems to show him setting VIDEO_CARDS correctly. It's possible that he only set them correctly after X11 was installed, which would be reflected in the output I requested.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightysilentsaint, Regarding drivers, can you post the output of "emerge -pv xorg-drivers" ?
Example:
Code:
tony@MSI ~ $ emerge -pv xorg-drivers

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R    ] x11-base/xorg-drivers-1.20::gentoo  INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse -elographics -evdev -joystick -libinput -synaptics -tslib -vmmouse -void -wacom" VIDEO_CARDS="radeon -amdgpu -ast -dummy -fbdev (-freedreno) (-geode) -glint -i915 -i965 -intel -mga -nouveau -nv -nvidia (-omap) -qxl -r128 -radeonsi -siliconmotion (-tdfx) (-tegra) (-vc4) -vesa -via -virtualbox -vmware (-voodoo)" 0 KiB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 KiB
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
Yes, but his initial post has a make.conf that seems to show him setting VIDEO_CARDS correctly. It's possible that he only set them correctly after X11 was installed, which would be reflected in the output I requested.
Yes; sorry. Somehow I didn't see that variable. My bad.

- John
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Q about make.conf and hardware change based on forums vi Reply with quote

mightysilentsaint wrote:
my first question is, am i doing something wrong with the use and other flags in my make.conf so that it takes so much time to compile things or is it just because i need a better cpu in the first place?

Compilation time depends A LOT on the actual software you're installing. Especially some of the larger desktop applications (like libreoffice or firefox) can consume tons of resources. And USE flags can have a massive effect on which software is compiled as well.

But of course, a dual-core CPU also won't break any speed records. 5 hours doesn't seem unreasonable for a desktop system.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: