Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
New Gentoo Discord Server
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why discord?
These type of communications come and go as gamers preference change... Teamspeak, ventrillo, Skype, discord.... They come and go as they come in and out of fashion
Same with text... as you can then add slacks to this list. The last 10years there have been soo many either voip or chat software it's rediculous and it usually means you end up with mulitple installed due to different cliques use different mediums...

Now discord, it's their servers not yours. It's their infra not yours. If this is what you want then fine but you are subject to what they allow and they have been closing servers for using words like "retard"

To throw in another option.... Riot.im. It's open source as well.

Finally... Whats wrong with IRC, from a pure chat point of view it does it all
Hund
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWCZE wrote:
Hund: Can you clarify unethical terms of use? I understand that there ware rumors about discord selling user data and as a reaction on that discord updated it's terms of use to specify third party like Google analitics and third party analitic firm that they use to gather informations to improve user experience which seems ethical. There is still the thing that CEO had simmilar service before that was used strictly to sell userdata, but they clarified that its no longer a case: https://twitter.com/discordapp/status/1023767938623569920 and since i coudn't find any other resource that proves it i have no problems with it.

This: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8248596.html?sid=41755eb9349bd6c5d2b6ed61a7c20967#8248596

KWCZE wrote:
And when i join any IRC channel it broadcast my IP adress to the world which is the main reason for me not to use it..

Your IP-adress is available to a lot of people when you connect to the Internet. If that's an issue, you should either just cut the connection or hide your ass behind a VPN. :)
Sir Platypus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu, I wanted to address the matter of Discord not being able to serve as a public resource. We do not by any means believe that it is a suitable replacement for the forums. It is intended for casual chat and possibly help with issues that do not belong here. As members of the Gentoo community anyone with enough experience to come to a constructive answer to a problem would know to redirect the person asking to the forums before actually giving them an answer.

As for the matter of Discord coming and going, we come and go with it, and we already use it anyway (or some of us do). Why worry, we aren’t trying to build anything vital here. (I don’t even game much, I hadn’t heard of teamspeak or ventrillo until everyone moved to discord) :D
KWCZE
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultory:
Quote:
Unless you are referring to gateway cloaks, they are expressly available to anyone by way of unaffiliated cloaks.

Noted, but still it's not available by default so if there is anyone with open/filtered ports (or closed) then the attacker can easily use them..

Hu:
Quote:
I did not find any indication that Discord offers a similar benefit to future help-seekers, since there appears to be no supported way for the public to anonymously obtain transcripts of all useful sessions.

i believe that you can set a webhook for this and then shere it on desired website. but more efficient solution to me is to set a bot which will react to frequently asked questions with solutions. We also have a text channel named Handbook to which we want to add some resources for users to use.

Ant P:
Quote:
I needed telling to shut up. I'll leave this alone.

rly? Why do you have so much anger agains new gentoo users..

L.W: We don't want to replace IRC our intension it to expand Gentoo community with skilled users. I undestand that due steap learning curve most of the new users will refuse to use Gentoo Linux.
Personally i spend 2 months before i was able to access TWM on Gentoo.. And i'm a debian user with 10+ years of experience.. After another week everything seemed much easier and intuitive. We also have users who tried gentoo wasn't able to install it and quit using it forever or there are users who compiled gentoo + gnome and made a lot of mistakes during installation and using USE flags which poisoned they're experience with gentoo too.

Take this for example: i read a USE flags on wiki and invoked
Code:
less /usr/portage/profiles/use.local.desc
then i just read a USE flags description and add them to chroot based on hardware info as comment to use later and i came up with this::
Code:
USE=X aac alsa cxx emacs encode flac fontconfig ftp gif gimp git
gstreamer gtk hddtemp java javascript jpeg joystick jpeg2000 latex libnotify lua mad matroska
mime mp3 mp4 mpeg multilib musepack mysql mysqli neXt netboot nls ogg opengl openmp oss php png
portaudio posix pulseaudio python gmail-spp qt4 qt5 quicktime raw ruby
shorten smp sockets socks5 sound speex ssl svg svga szip tiff udisks udev unicode upnp upnp-av upower usb vaapi vhosts videos x264 xcomposite
xemacs xface xml xmp xvid

which is obviously bad idea as i got bashed for it on Linux discord where they also help me to solve it and where i could ask questions in that time i didn't even know about IRC..

and since Linux Discord is general for all linux users and strict rules we decided to make Gentoo Linux Discord to use as a gateway for other linux users to chat and get help with Gentoo and where they can ask newbie questions for everything else we can use IRC.

Also there it another example which i would like to share there was a compatibility issue for League Of Legends using Wine which was resolved with other community members on discord and reddit and which i believe helped with the development for a wine optimization. We would like to organize simmilar community efford to provide new features for Gentoo and other Linux users. Which is based on my experience with IRC impossible there..

+ with the help of skilled Gentoo users our effort would be even more effective thus a reason for us to post it here. We honesly didn't expect such a hate agains it and personally i don't understand why would anyone act in such a way as Ant P. and others..
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWCZE wrote:
i don't understand why would anyone act in such a way as Ant P. and others..
Look at it like this, a new user posts with a link and then posts the same link quite quickly.

Aspects of this do appear to be that of some form of spammer (looks like a duck, sounds like a duck).
KWCZE
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Look at it like this, a new user posts with a link and then posts the same link quite quickly.

Sorry about it :?
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

np, im just pointing out how this could look to explain a possibly salty reply
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
https://discordapp.com/terms wrote:
By uploading, distributing, transmitting or otherwise using Your Content with the Service, you grant to us a perpetual, nonexclusive, transferable, royalty-free, sublicensable, and worldwide license to use, host, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, and display Your Content in connection with operating and providing the Service.
Just "No". GPL, Creative Commons ... but that's like we can do what we want with your content.
Yeah, that's a total non-starter. Looks like yet another scam..
KWCZE wrote:
Hund: Can you clarify unethical terms of use? I understand that there ware rumors about discord selling user data and as a reaction on that discord updated it's terms of use to specify third party like Google analitics and third party analitic firm that they use to gather informations to improve user experience which seems ethical. There is still the thing that CEO had simmilar service before that was used strictly to sell userdata, but they clarified that its no longer a case: [bs url] and since i coudn't find any other resource that proves it i have no problems with it.
Is it just me who finds this "analysis" and the facts it seeks to euphemise, alarming?
KWCZE wrote:
Also there was a bug in the discord system that allows third party to access user data before GDPR. The bug was fixed and its no longer possible to access those data this way and personally i don't know about any other way to do so.
I understand that there ware simmilar issues on IRC like showing user IP to everyone, allowing third party to access private chat, etc.. which is not possible on discord which feels more secure to use for me. :?
Oh well, that's hunky-dory then, if you don't personally know and you feel it's more secure, then I guess we should all just sign-up for the kool-aid.

I am not knocking your enthusiasm in general; just your willingness to be such a dupe, and more to talk us into being dupes.
Since you seem reasonably intelligent, I am inclined to conclude you know what you're doing - which makes it so much worse.
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hund wrote:
KWCZE wrote:
Hund: Can you clarify unethical terms of use? I understand that there ware rumors about discord selling user data and as a reaction on that discord updated it's terms of use to specify third party like Google analitics and third party analitic firm that they use to gather informations to improve user experience which seems ethical. There is still the thing that CEO had simmilar service before that was used strictly to sell userdata, but they clarified that its no longer a case: https://twitter.com/discordapp/status/1023767938623569920 and since i coudn't find any other resource that proves it i have no problems with it.

This: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8248596.html?sid=41755eb9349bd6c5d2b6ed61a7c20967#8248596

KWCZE wrote:
And when i join any IRC channel it broadcast my IP adress to the world which is the main reason for me not to use it..

Your IP-adress is available to a lot of people when you connect to the Internet. If that's an issue, you should either just cut the connection or hide your ass behind a VPN. :)

For that matter, what's the big deal about somebody knowing your IP address with respect to a chat?

AFAIK the only reasons one would want to hide it would be (in the order I thought of them):

1. You're doing something which is illegal according to the government where you are located (which may be a valid concern in a dictatorship)
  2. You're doing something which is considered shameful to people you know. Or to you.
  3. You're asking questions about how to configure your firewall, and you know nothing about it.

OK that last one may actually be a good reason. Never mind.
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4. Your ISP provides highly revealing reverse DNS (city level or better granularity) and you'd rather people not know your real world location so precisely.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has passed the point where its useful to anyone.
Time to let it sink with passing time.

Locked.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: