Gentoo leaves democracy: concern over choice of words
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Gentoo leaves democracy: concern over choice of words Reply with quote

If he really is as old as he claims to be, that is certainly one more proof that age alone does not make you wiser. Also, display of dangerous ignorance.

ADMIN EDIT: This post was originally in response to the report by mike155 quoted in this post below. Since the original report had been deleted, it was no longer obvious where this post belonged. --pjp
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Gentoo leaves democracy: concern over choice of words Reply with quote

ADMIN EDIT: Split from Report violations, duplicates, misplaced posts, etc. --pjp

mike155 wrote:
User: Tony0945
Topic: Gentoo leaves democracy
Reason: personal attack on one of the developers. Furthermore, it's a criminal offense, at least here in Germany, for very good reasons.
The forums are not in Germany. Please keep such criminal offenses there
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
The forums are not in Germany

And that's exactly the point. This forum is international and the language is English. Tony0945 decided to attack a developer. He knows or thinks that the developer is German, so he uses German language and accuses him of being a German Nazi. That's one of the worst attacks I've read in the Gentoo discussion forums so far. Really, "Sieg Heil" is the worst thing you can say in Germany - it's by far worse than any of the words banned in the US.

Moderators: please delete Tony0945's post.
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike155 wrote:
Moderators: please delete Tony0945's post.
Generally, we only delete spam, and then only when in duplicate. Everything else goes into the respective parties' permanent record.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proving my point, in support of Ant P., that Gentoo has become a dictatorship. Not only dissent not wanted but not even to be heard.

As to my supposed anti-German bias, my maternal grandparents were ethic Germans from Austria-Hungary and spoke Plattdeutsch (sic?)
My paternal grandparents came from Southern Italy. Make of that what you will.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone just needs to chill out.

One can take offense at any phrase or symbol, it's neither the phrase nor the symbols fault, but the one taking offense.
Sieg hiel (sp?) predates the Nazi's, just as the broken cross predates them.
That the German people are so ashamed that they allowed themselves to be besotted by nazism is sad albeit understandable in hindsight.
And thus they want to outlaw certain phrases or symbols, all of which is ultimately doomed to fail.

Having said all this, I reiterate, everyone just needs to chill.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In further explanation, it is quite common, at least in Illinois to respond to to a dictatorial order or proclamation with a derisive "S___ H___", meaning "You are acting like a Nazi".
If using these very words are offensive to Europeans, then I am quite willing to edit the post, deleting them. I meant to offend no one but the devs that are acting in an anti-democratic manner.

I'm asking permission in advance to replace them with a quote from the King James Bible "And men loved darkness rather than light because their deeds were evil." If it is absolutely verboten for the peons to criticize the superhuman devs, then I will just erase them.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
In further explanation, it is quite common, at least in Illinois to respond to to a dictatorial order or proclamation with a derisive "S___ H___", meaning "You are acting like a Nazi".
If using these very words are offensive to Europeans, then I am quite willing to edit the post, deleting them. I meant to offend no one but the devs that are acting in an anti-democratic manner.

I'm asking permission in advance to replace them with a quote from the King James Bible "And men loved darkness rather than light because their deeds were evil." If it is absolutely verboten for the peons to criticize the superhuman devs, then I will just erase them.
a very slippery slope being advocated here... Either people must accept they could be "offended" or all possible sources of offense are censored (this is before even questioning what does being offended actually do to a person....). No one country has a monopoly on exporting their laws onto others. Just because Germany has laws that punish speach with prison time is not justification we all should respond everywhere. Just because Pakistan have laws that punish blasphemy with death is not a reason all should respond everywhere.

Offense is taken not given
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945: thanks for your follow-up posts. So you probably wanted to say "you are acting like a dictator".

First of all: I think it's fine to say that if you think that Ulrich is acting like a dictator.

Here in Germany, if you say "You are a Nazi", especially using the German words 'S___ H___!' - it doesn't mean: "you are a dictator". It means: 'you are a criminal and murderer' - and this is something totally different! Hitler and his Nazi-friends surely built a dictatorship, but - what is worse - they also brutally murdered several million innocent people - because of their religion, because they were political opponents or simply because the Nazis didn't like them. Industrially organized mass murder and war crimes - that's what we associate with Nazis - and that's why I think nobody should be called a Nazi... Unless he is one, of course.

I'm glad it turned out to have been a misunderstanding. So let's stop discussion of this ambiguous post and let's go back to the discussion of the relationship between developers and users. It certainly can and should be improved.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike155 wrote:
I'm glad it turned out to have been a misunderstanding. So let's stop discussion of this ambiguous post and let's go back to the discussion of the relationship between developers and users. It certainly can and should be improved.

Yes. I agree.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: