Playing with LLVM, gold linker and CLANG
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ginta
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:01 am    Post subject: Playing with LLVM, gold linker and CLANG Reply with quote

I installed a fresh stage3 on a chroot to play and test with LLVM, gold linker and CLANG, with the goal of testing to compile as much as possible with clang instead of gcc.

Once installed llvm and clang, I set the default compiler as clang in /etc/portage/make.conf as follows:

Code:

CC="clang"
CXX="clang++"
AR="llvm-ar"
NM="llvm-nm"
RANLIB="llvm-ranlib"

Of course, I also enabled gold linker by setting the following to binutils' environment:
Code:
EXTRA_ECONF="--enable-gold=default"

Then I thought, like gcc that compiles with itself... may it be possible to compile LLVM and CLANG with CLANG? Then I ran a
Code:
emerge -1 llvm
using
Code:
clang[default-compiler-rt default-libcxx static-analyzer xml]
and found some things:

a) With sys-libs/libcxxabi[libunwind] + sys-libs/libcxx[libunwind] combination makes LLVM fail compilation with undefined references.
b) With sys-libs/libcxxabi[-libunwind] + sys-libs/libcxx[-libunwind] combination LLVM compiles fine, but then clang is unusable because of:
Code:
clang: symbol lookup error: clang: undefined symbol: _ZN4llvm3sys2fs17getMainExecutableB5cxx11EPKcPv

I played with disabled as-needed, with using bfd linker instead of gold linker to link itself, and the result is the same, LLVM compiled ok, its executables seem to run properly, but clang is broken.

So I thought, ok, maybe I can rebuild clang with gcc and then rebuild with itself as a second stage? Then I ran

Code:

CC="gcc" CXX="g++" AR="ar" NM="nm" RANLIB="ranlib" LDFLAGS="${LDFLAGS} -fuse-ld=bfd" emerge -1 clang

And then it failed to compile with:
Code:

[28/1289] : && /usr/bin/g++  -march=native -O2 -pipe -fPIC -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -Werror=date-time -std=c++11 -Wall -W -Wno-unused-parameter -Wwrite-strings -Wcast-qual -Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wdelete-non-virtual-dtor -Wno-comment -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-common -Woverloaded-virtual -fno-strict-aliasing -pedantic -Wno-long-long  -fuse-ld=bfd     -Wl,-O3 -Wl,--gc-sections utils/TableGen/CMakeFiles/clang-tblgen.dir/ClangASTNodesEmitter.cpp.o utils/TableGen/CMakeFiles/clang-tblgen.dir/ClangAttrEmitter.cpp.o utils/TableGen/CMakeFiles/clang-tblgen.dir/ClangCommentCommandInfoEmitter.cpp.o utils/TableGen/CMakeFiles/clang-tblgen.dir/ClangCommentHTMLNamedCharacterReferenceEmitter.cpp.o utils/TableGen/CMakeFiles/clang-tblgen.dir/ClangCommentHTMLTagsEmitter.cpp.o utils/TableGen/CMakeFiles/clang-tblgen.dir/ClangDataCollectorsEmitter.cpp.o utils/TableGen/CMakeFiles/clang-tblgen.dir/ClangDiagnosticsEmitter.cpp.o utils/TableGen/CMakeFiles/clang-tblgen.dir/ClangOptionDocEmitter.cpp.o utils/TableGen/CMakeFiles/clang-tblgen.dir/ClangSACheckersEmitter.cpp.o utils/TableGen/CMakeFiles/clang-tblgen.dir/NeonEmitter.cpp.o utils/TableGen/CMakeFiles/clang-tblgen.dir/TableGen.cpp.o  -o bin/clang-tblgen -L/usr/lib64/llvm/6/lib64 -Wl,-rpath,"\$ORIGIN/../lib64:/usr/lib64/llvm/6/lib64" /usr/lib/llvm/6/lib64/libLLVMSupport.so.6.0.1 /usr/lib/llvm/6/lib64/libLLVMTableGen.so.6.0.1 -lpthread && :
FAILED: bin/clang-tblgen
: && /usr/bin/g++  -march=native -O2 -pipe -fPIC -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -Werror=date-time -std=c++11 -Wall -W -Wno-unused-parameter -Wwrite-strings -Wcast-qual -Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wdelete-non-virtual-dtor -Wno-comment -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-common -Woverloaded-virtual -fno-strict-aliasing -pedantic -Wno-long-long  -fuse-ld=bfd     -Wl,-O3 -Wl,--gc-sections utils/TableGen/CMakeFiles/clang-tblgen.dir/ClangASTNodesEmitter.cpp.o utils/TableGen/CMakeFiles/clang-tblgen.dir/ClangAttrEmitter.cpp.o utils/TableGen/CMakeFiles/clang-tblgen.dir/ClangCommentCommandInfoEmitter.cpp.o utils/TableGen/CMakeFiles/clang-tblgen.dir/ClangCommentHTMLNamedCharacterReferenceEmitter.cpp.o utils/TableGen/CMakeFiles/clang-tblgen.dir/ClangCommentHTMLTagsEmitter.cpp.o utils/TableGen/CMakeFiles/clang-tblgen.dir/ClangDataCollectorsEmitter.cpp.o utils/TableGen/CMakeFiles/clang-tblgen.dir/ClangDiagnosticsEmitter.cpp.o utils/TableGen/CMakeFiles/clang-tblgen.dir/ClangOptionDocEmitter.cpp.o utils/TableGen/CMakeFiles/clang-tblgen.dir/ClangSACheckersEmitter.cpp.o utils/TableGen/CMakeFiles/clang-tblgen.dir/NeonEmitter.cpp.o utils/TableGen/CMakeFiles/clang-tblgen.dir/TableGen.cpp.o  -o bin/clang-tblgen -L/usr/lib64/llvm/6/lib64 -Wl,-rpath,"\$ORIGIN/../lib64:/usr/lib64/llvm/6/lib64" /usr/lib/llvm/6/lib64/libLLVMSupport.so.6.0.1 /usr/lib/llvm/6/lib64/libLLVMTableGen.so.6.0.1 -lpthread && :
utils/TableGen/CMakeFiles/clang-tblgen.dir/ClangAttrEmitter.cpp.o: In function `(anonymous namespace)::PragmaClangAttributeSupport::generateParsingHelpers(llvm::raw_ostream&)':
ClangAttrEmitter.cpp:(.text._ZN12_GLOBAL__N_127PragmaClangAttributeSupport22generateParsingHelpersERN4llvm11raw_ostreamE+0x997): undefined reference to `llvm::Twine::str[abi:cxx11]() const'
utils/TableGen/CMakeFiles/clang-tblgen.dir/ClangAttrEmitter.cpp.o: In function `clang::CalculateDiagnostic(llvm::Record const&)':
ClangAttrEmitter.cpp:(.text._ZN5clangL19CalculateDiagnosticERKN4llvm6RecordE+0x7b8): undefined reference to `llvm::Twine::str[abi:cxx11]() const'
utils/TableGen/CMakeFiles/clang-tblgen.dir/ClangDiagnosticsEmitter.cpp.o: In function `groupDiagnostics(std::vector<llvm::Record*, std::allocator<llvm::Record*> > const&, std::vector<llvm::Record*, std::allocator<llvm::Record*> > const&, std::map<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, (anonymous namespace)::GroupInfo, std::less<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > >, std::allocator<std::pair<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const, (anonymous namespace)::GroupInfo> > >&) [clone .constprop.521]':
ClangDiagnosticsEmitter.cpp:(.text._ZL16groupDiagnosticsRKSt6vectorIPN4llvm6RecordESaIS2_EES6_RSt3mapINSt7__cxx1112basic_stringIcSt11char_traitsIcESaIcEEEN12_GLOBAL__N_19GroupInfoESt4lessISD_ESaISt4pairIKSD_SF_EEE.constprop.521+0xf19): undefined reference to `llvm::Twine::str[abi:cxx11]() const'
utils/TableGen/CMakeFiles/clang-tblgen.dir/ClangDiagnosticsEmitter.cpp.o: In function `clang::EmitClangDiagsDefs(llvm::RecordKeeper&, llvm::raw_ostream&, std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)':
ClangDiagnosticsEmitter.cpp:(.text._ZN5clang18EmitClangDiagsDefsERN4llvm12RecordKeeperERNS0_11raw_ostreamERKNSt7__cxx1112basic_stringIcSt11char_traitsIcESaIcEEE+0x61): undefined reference to `llvm::StringRef::upper[abi:cxx11]() const'
utils/TableGen/CMakeFiles/clang-tblgen.dir/ClangDiagnosticsEmitter.cpp.o: In function `clang::EmitClangDiagDocs(llvm::RecordKeeper&, llvm::raw_ostream&)':
ClangDiagnosticsEmitter.cpp:(.text._ZN5clang17EmitClangDiagDocsERN4llvm12RecordKeeperERNS0_11raw_ostreamE+0xcd6): undefined reference to `llvm::Twine::str[abi:cxx11]() const'
utils/TableGen/CMakeFiles/clang-tblgen.dir/NeonEmitter.cpp.o: In function `(anonymous namespace)::Intrinsic::DagEmitter::emitDag(llvm::DagInit*)':
NeonEmitter.cpp:(.text._ZN12_GLOBAL__N_19Intrinsic10DagEmitter7emitDagEPN4llvm7DagInitE+0xfda): undefined reference to `llvm::SetTheory::addOperator(llvm::StringRef, std::unique_ptr<llvm::SetTheory::Operator, std::default_delete<llvm::SetTheory::Operator> >)'
NeonEmitter.cpp:(.text._ZN12_GLOBAL__N_19Intrinsic10DagEmitter7emitDagEPN4llvm7DagInitE+0x101c): undefined reference to `llvm::SetTheory::addOperator(llvm::StringRef, std::unique_ptr<llvm::SetTheory::Operator, std::default_delete<llvm::SetTheory::Operator> >)'
NeonEmitter.cpp:(.text._ZN12_GLOBAL__N_19Intrinsic10DagEmitter7emitDagEPN4llvm7DagInitE+0x106a): undefined reference to `llvm::SetTheory::addOperator(llvm::StringRef, std::unique_ptr<llvm::SetTheory::Operator, std::default_delete<llvm::SetTheory::Operator> >)'
NeonEmitter.cpp:(.text._ZN12_GLOBAL__N_19Intrinsic10DagEmitter7emitDagEPN4llvm7DagInitE+0x10c3): undefined reference to `llvm::SetTheory::addExpander(llvm::StringRef, std::unique_ptr<llvm::SetTheory::Expander, std::default_delete<llvm::SetTheory::Expander> >)'
utils/TableGen/CMakeFiles/clang-tblgen.dir/NeonEmitter.cpp.o: In function `(anonymous namespace)::Intrinsic::DagEmitter::emitDagCall(llvm::DagInit*)':
NeonEmitter.cpp:(.text._ZN12_GLOBAL__N_19Intrinsic10DagEmitter11emitDagCallEPN4llvm7DagInitE+0x3a1): undefined reference to `llvm::Twine::str[abi:cxx11]() const'
utils/TableGen/CMakeFiles/clang-tblgen.dir/TableGen.cpp.o: In function `llvm::cl::opt<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, false, llvm::cl::parser<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > > >::~opt()':
TableGen.cpp:(.text._ZN4llvm2cl3optINSt7__cxx1112basic_stringIcSt11char_traitsIcESaIcEEELb0ENS0_6parserIS7_EEED2Ev[_ZN4llvm2cl3optINSt7__cxx1112basic_stringIcSt11char_traitsIcESaIcEEELb0ENS0_6parserIS7_EEED5Ev]+0x3): undefined reference to `vtable for llvm::cl::opt<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, false, llvm::cl::parser<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > > >'
utils/TableGen/CMakeFiles/clang-tblgen.dir/TableGen.cpp.o: In function `__static_initialization_and_destruction_0(int, int) [clone .constprop.52]':
TableGen.cpp:(.text.startup._Z41__static_initialization_and_destruction_0ii.constprop.52+0xc4e): undefined reference to `vtable for llvm::cl::OptionValue<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > >'
TableGen.cpp:(.text.startup._Z41__static_initialization_and_destruction_0ii.constprop.52+0xc7d): undefined reference to `vtable for llvm::cl::opt<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, false, llvm::cl::parser<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > > >'
TableGen.cpp:(.text.startup._Z41__static_initialization_and_destruction_0ii.constprop.52+0xca5): undefined reference to `vtable for llvm::cl::parser<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > >'
utils/TableGen/CMakeFiles/clang-tblgen.dir/TableGen.cpp.o: In function `llvm::cl::opt<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, false, llvm::cl::parser<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > > >::~opt()':
TableGen.cpp:(.text._ZN4llvm2cl3optINSt7__cxx1112basic_stringIcSt11char_traitsIcESaIcEEELb0ENS0_6parserIS7_EEED0Ev[_ZN4llvm2cl3optINSt7__cxx1112basic_stringIcSt11char_traitsIcESaIcEEELb0ENS0_6parserIS7_EEED5Ev]+0x3): undefined reference to `vtable for llvm::cl::opt<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, false, llvm::cl::parser<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > > >'
utils/TableGen/CMakeFiles/clang-tblgen.dir/ClangOptionDocEmitter.cpp.o: In function `clang::docs::(anonymous namespace)::emitOptionName(llvm::StringRef, llvm::Record const*, llvm::raw_ostream&)':
ClangOptionDocEmitter.cpp:(.text._ZN5clang4docs12_GLOBAL__N_114emitOptionNameEN4llvm9StringRefEPKNS2_6RecordERNS2_11raw_ostreamE+0x266): undefined reference to `llvm::Twine::str[abi:cxx11]() const'
utils/TableGen/CMakeFiles/clang-tblgen.dir/ClangOptionDocEmitter.cpp.o: In function `clang::docs::(anonymous namespace)::emitDocumentation(int, clang::docs::(anonymous namespace)::Documentation const&, llvm::Record const*, llvm::raw_ostream&)':
ClangOptionDocEmitter.cpp:(.text._ZN5clang4docs12_GLOBAL__N_117emitDocumentationEiRKNS1_13DocumentationEPKN4llvm6RecordERNS5_11raw_ostreamE+0x1f9): undefined reference to `llvm::Twine::str[abi:cxx11]() const'
ClangOptionDocEmitter.cpp:(.text._ZN5clang4docs12_GLOBAL__N_117emitDocumentationEiRKNS1_13DocumentationEPKN4llvm6RecordERNS5_11raw_ostreamE+0x40e): undefined reference to `llvm::Twine::str[abi:cxx11]() const'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.

So yes, this is unsupported probably, and it is just a test playground for learning, but, since it is already out of my knowledge, any hint for successfully building clang and llvm with clang and its libc++, or is it simply not prepared for doing so (a thing I can't believe)?

Many thanks for the hints!
virtguru
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
llvm::Twine::str[abi:cxx11]() const

maybe an ABI issue , so you may have to build llvm with same compiler ?
Ginta
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed up with the tests, indeed, it seems a problem with libcxx:

I recompiled clang with -default-libcxx and -default-compiler-rt so it uses gcc's C++ libraries, and then I could build both, LLVM and clang with clang.

So now I am curious, because I have a kind of academic question:

If clang provides a libc++ replacement for libstdc++ why it can't be used to bootstrap itself?
virtguru
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested to know the answer to that as well I don't know clang / llvm that well.

Cheers
Ginta
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been digging, reading and thinking.

Of course it makes sense that compiling LLVM with libc++ instead of libstdc++ will cause clang not to be buildable with gcc and libstdc++, and I am suspecting this is the cause.

I made up to this thinking, because when recompiling LLVM, then clang got unusable and I had to recompile with gcc (even I was using libstdc++), so I just thought that some other way to bootstrap it would be neccesary.

And then I found up this: https://libcxx.llvm.org/docs/UsingLibcxx.html#using-libc-with-gcc

So what I am going to try next (when I have time) is to rebuild clang with default libc++ and bootstrap it with:

Code:

CFLAGS="${CFLAGS}  -nostdinc++ -I<libcxx-install-prefix>/include/c++/v1"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -nostdinc++ -I<libcxx-install-prefix>/include/c++/v1"
LDFLAGS="${LDFLAGS}  -nodefaultlibs -lc++ -lc++abi -lm -lc -lgcc_s -lgcc"

And then having a clang bootstraped with gcc, hopefully I could rebuild clang with itself..

Will tell the results of the tests asap I can do them :)
Dr.Willy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember there being a topic about LLVM/Clang here on the forums, where people ran into similar issues.
IIRC the solution was to build llvm:5 and clang:5 using gcc and then use llvm:5 and clang:5 to build llvm:6 and clang:6 or something along those lines.
Ginta
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr.Willy wrote:
I remember there being a topic about LLVM/Clang here on the forums, where people ran into similar issues.
IIRC the solution was to build llvm:5 and clang:5 using gcc and then use llvm:5 and clang:5 to build llvm:6 and clang:6 or something along those lines.

Thanks for the hint, I am currently trying what I said in my previous post, since this is about learning more than other thing, will keep you all updated, and if fails, will try what you say :)
Perfect Gentleman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've to build llvm/clang with clang when i'd build llvm/clang statically. but the downfall is no possibility to build mesa with use=llvm
Ginta
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect Gentleman wrote:
i've to build llvm/clang with clang when i'd build llvm/clang statically. but the downfall is no possibility to build mesa with use=llvm

There is no need to build them statically, but they need to be correctly bootstrapped.

I finally made them work and compile clang with clang :)

Following these steps:

• Compile LLVM and CLANG with gcc like normal, paying attention to enable default-compiler-rt default-libcxx USE flags
  • Backup packages in case of fire
    Code:

quickpkg llvm clang sys-libs/libomp sys-libs/libunwind sys-libs/libcxxabi sys-libs/netbsd-csu sys-libs/libcxx sys-libs/compiler-rt sys-devel/clang-common sys-libs/compiler-rt-sanitizers sys-devel/clang-runtime # in case we need it urgently

• Prepare make.conf to make use of CLANG as system's compiler
    Code:

CC="clang"
    CXX="clang++"
    AR="llvm-ar"
    NM="llvm-nm"
    RANLIB="llvm-ranlib"
    FCFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
    CFLAGS_BASE="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
    CFLAGS_LTO="-flto=thin"
    CFLAGS="${CFLAGS_BASE} ${CFLAGS_LTO}"
    CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
    CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
    LDFLAGS_BASE="${LDFLAGS} -march=native -Wl,--sort-common -Wl,-O3"
    LDFLAGS_STRIP="-Wl,-S"
    LDFLAGS_BFD="-fuse-ld=bfd"
    LDFLAGS_GOLD="-fuse-ld=gold"
    LDFLAGS="${LDFLAGS_BASE} ${LDFLAGS_GOLD} ${LDFLAGS_STRIP}"

• Compile LLVM with CLANG
    Code:
    emerge -1 llvm clang

And ignore the error, because once LLVM is installed being compiled with CLang, then Clang will be broken, we'll fix this in the next step.
    If LLVM fails, recompile clang's libraries without libunwind support (it will use gcc_s then, but it causes problems with some packages) and retry LLVM compilation
  • Recompile Clang again with GCC, but using libc++ instead of libstdc++ from glibc:
    Code:
    CC="gcc" CXX="g++" CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe -nostdinc++ -I/usr/include/c++/v1" CXXFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe -nostdinc++ -I/usr/include/c++/v1" LDFLAGS="-lc++ -lc++abi -lm -lc" emerge -1 clang

This will compile a working version of clang using the newly compiled llvm with libc++ support.
    If it succedes, we can now compile clang with itself as normal:
    Code:
    emerge -1 clang

Be aware that there are some packages failing to compile with clang (I made some patches/reports about some of them), I am still trying to recompile the whole world with clang

I will post an entry in my blog soon with a better redaction, but I hope this can help somebody while I do so.

Quote:
Please notice that this bootstrap process is needed whenever a new major version of LLVM and Clang is released

5UrNkC27BJ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bumping..

I am following the clang wiki, halfway through the gcc clang build, but i am seeing multiple conversations like this one and not much recent (2020+) summary.

is there a recent/unified stage4 clang recipe thread?

Ginta wrote:
Perfect Gentleman wrote:

There is no need to build them statically, but they need to be correctly bootstrapped.

Following these steps:

• Compile LLVM and CLANG with gcc like normal, paying attention to enable default-compiler-rt default-libcxx USE flags
    Code:

quickpkg llvm clang sys-libs/libomp sys-libs/libunwind sys-libs/libcxxabi sys-libs/netbsd-csu sys-libs/libcxx sys-libs/compiler-rt sys-devel/clang-common sys-libs/compiler-rt-sanitizers sys-devel/clang-runtime # in case we need it urgently

Code:

CC="clang"
    CXX="clang++"
    AR="llvm-ar"
    NM="llvm-nm"
    RANLIB="llvm-ranlib"
    CFLAGS_LTO="-flto=thin"
    CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
    LDFLAGS_STRIP="-Wl,-S"

Code:
    emerge -1 llvm clang

And ignore the error, because once LLVM is installed being compiled with CLang, then Clang will be broken, we'll fix this in the next step.
    If LLVM fails, recompile clang's libraries without libunwind support (it will use gcc_s then, but it causes problems with some packages) and retry LLVM compilation
  • Recompile Clang again with GCC, but using libc++ instead of libstdc++ from glibc:
    Code:
    CC="gcc" CXX="g++" CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe -nostdinc++ -I/usr/include/c++/v1" CXXFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe -nostdinc++ -I/usr/include/c++/v1" LDFLAGS="-lc++ -lc++abi -lm -lc" emerge -1 clang

This will compile a working version of clang using the newly compiled llvm with libc++ support.
    Code:
    emerge -1 clang

Be aware that there are some packages failing to compile with clang (I made some patches/reports about some of them), I am still trying to recompile the whole world with clang

I will post an entry in my blog soon with a better redaction, but I hope this can help somebody while I do so.

Quote:
Please notice that this bootstrap process is needed whenever a new major version of LLVM and Clang is released
Blademasterz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5UrNkC27BJ wrote:
bumping..

I am following the clang wiki, halfway through the gcc clang build, but i am seeing multiple conversations like this one and not much recent (2020+) summary.

Ginta wrote:
Perfect Gentleman wrote:

Following these steps:

Code:

Code:

CC="clang"
    CXX="clang++"
    AR="llvm-ar"
    NM="llvm-nm"
    RANLIB="llvm-ranlib"
    CFLAGS_LTO="-flto=thin"
    CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
    LDFLAGS_STRIP="-Wl,-S"

Code:
    emerge -1 llvm clang

Code:

Code:
    emerge -1 clang

Quote:

Hello, there is clang + musl experimental overlay available,
https://github.com/clang-musl-overlay/clang-musl-overlay
You might want to look into it, thank you ;)
Ginta
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5UrNkC27BJ wrote:
bumping..

Ginta wrote:
Perfect Gentleman wrote:

Following these steps:

Code:

Code:

CC="clang"
    CXX="clang++"
    AR="llvm-ar"
    NM="llvm-nm"
    RANLIB="llvm-ranlib"
    CFLAGS_LTO="-flto=thin"
    CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
    LDFLAGS_STRIP="-Wl,-S"

Code:
    emerge -1 llvm clang

Code:

Code:
    emerge -1 clang

Quote:

Finally I've made a repository with CLang+LLVM profiles (based and extending Gentoo's ones) and also playing with Intel CET, you can make your own stage* with LLVM enabled with it.

https://github.com/StormBytePP/StormByte.Repository and I have also a little repository for some patches https://github.com/StormBytePP/StormByte.Repository.Patches

In order to enable it, follow these steps:

• Start with a vanilla stage3 for your arch (only x86/amd64)
  • Update GCC with graphite enabled
  • Emerge Clang (with gcc)
  • Select your desired Clang enabled profile
  • Update world
  • emerge -e world

Hints:

• There are some packages with custom-cflags enabled (like gcc) and this is because currently gcc fails to compile with Intel CET + -march=native both enabled and this will "fix" it.
  • Review <repo_dir>/profile, specially make.defaults to adapt CFLAGS to your machine (specially gcc-tricks where native flags are unrolled)
  • If CMake gives you undefined references once libc++ is used (instead of libstdc++), unmerge jsoncpp and cmake and reemerge cmake (this way a new bootstrap will be started)

Feel free to test and contribute, since I do this with in my free time and it is not perfect

EDIT: If someone is going to test CET beware with https://bugs.gentoo.org/908523 if using -march=native on some CPUs!

Last edited by Ginta on Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Juippisi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ I see you've worked hard and congratulations for that! I want to point out we have "official" llvm-only stages available,
https://www.gentoo.org/downloads/

Check the "amd64 – Advanced choices" section and "LLVM-based stage archives" or "Musl stage archives" (which has llvm-musl stage).

There's also default/linux/amd64/17.1/*clang or default/linux/amd64/17.0/musl/clang profle available with many overriding default settings.
Ginta
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juippisi wrote:
^ I see you've worked hard and congratulations for that! I want to point out we have "official" llvm-only stages available,
https://www.gentoo.org/downloads/

Check the "amd64 – Advanced choices" section and "LLVM-based stage archives" or "Musl stage archives" (which has llvm-musl stage).

There's also default/linux/amd64/17.1/*clang or default/linux/amd64/17.0/musl/clang profle available with many overriding default settings.

Jep, but for this playground (and learning) I mixed no-multilib+llvm+intel CET, like this tree (based on 17.1):

Code:

[36]  StormByte:StormByte (stable)
  [37]  StormByte:StormByte/intel-cet (stable)
  [38]  StormByte:StormByte/intel-cet/clang (stable)
  [39]  StormByte:StormByte/desktop/intel-cet (stable)
  [40]  StormByte:StormByte/desktop/intel-cet/clang (stable)
  [41]  StormByte:StormByte/no-multilib (stable)
  [42]  StormByte:StormByte/no-multilib/intel-cet (stable)
  [43]  StormByte:StormByte/no-multilib/intel-cet/clang (stable)
  [44]  StormByte:StormByte/no-multilib/desktop/intel-cet (stable)
  [45]  StormByte:StormByte/no-multilib/desktop/intel-cet/clang (stable)

I done on testing up to stage5 (with Desktop functional) with profile 45, with only 2 packages built with gcc (besides gcc itself and glibc of course).

Next step is to try musl and also try to patch them to make compile with clang only (cdrtools and app-crypt/efitools)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: