View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davydm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: minor oddness: Dolphin vs ntfs-3g: mounted dirs "disapp Reply with quote

This is just a minor annoyance because of how I use Dolphin, particularly with two media drives that I have:
- monolith, where new media arrives
- piggy, where watched media goes in case a friend wants it, until I need space

Both are mounted under /mnt, with fstab entries:

Code:

UUID=A2CA0AEBCA0ABC13                     /mnt/monolith   ntfs-3g    defaults,noatime,nodiratime,users,auto,windows_names,big_writes 0 2
UUID=B0B87580B875463E                     /mnt/piggy      ntfs-3g    defaults,noatime,nodiratime,users,auto,windows_names,big_writes 0 2

unmounted, the dirs under /mnt look like:
Code:

drwxrwxrwx  2 daf  daf  4.0K Dec 30  2016 monolith
drwxr-xr-x  2 daf  daf  4.0K Dec 30  2016 piggy

(where "daf" is my username) and they appear when browsing to /mnt in Dolphin, as they always have. Mounted, they look like:
Code:

drwxrwxrwx  1 daf  daf   20K Jul 15 17:27 monolith
drwxrwxrwx  1 daf  daf  8.0K Jul 15 17:30 piggy

and mysteriously, they disappear in Dolphin. This seems to be as of the last update of ntfs-3g (according to genlop):
Code:

Tue Jul 10 21:53:00 2018 >>> sys-fs/ntfs3g-2017.3.23-r1

Other file managers like Krusader don't exhibit this behavior. I can type the address "/mnt/piggy" into dolphin's address bar manually and navigate there. I can also click the "piggy" entry in the "places" sidebar, and it works as expected (same for monolith). It's just if I'm already in a sub-folder of one and alt-up to /mnt, neither is there any more, so I can't (easily) keyboard-navigate from one to the other. Minor, I know, but strange.

Any ideas? I've tried removing ~/.config/dolphinrc -- no joy (though all my other settings are naturally nuked). I've tried a bunch of different fstab settings (no uid/gid, for example) -- doesn't seem to make a difference. This only applies to the ntfs-3g drives I have mounted -- /mnt/dump, which is ext4, is perfectly visible. The other two are ntfs so I can access them on the occasions that I reboot to "that other os", eg to play a game where the developer has only provided a windows port. I don't really want to format them (and I'm not even sure that I have enough contiguous space elsewhere to hold their contents during a reformat/recopy anyway: one is 4Tb, the other is 3Tb and neither has more than 350gig free).

I'd just like to use keyboard navigation again, as I did before. Any help appreciated.
i4dnf
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is due to dolphin/kio respecting the hidden flag on directories and files on an ntfs, as reported by ntfs3g. ntfs3g reports the root of ntfs partitions as hidden (so called administrative shares on windows), hence those directories become hidden in dolphin too. There is ongoing discussion/work (on kde bugtracker) to ignore the hidden flags for the mountpoints, so it will probably be solved in a future dolphin/kio release (most likely in the 18.08 series).
davydm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thanks! My google-fu was obviously too weak to find that bug being tracked.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: