Ryzen killer script
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marlo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Ryzen killer script Reply with quote

hello@,

because of this experience to (alleged) hardware problems with Ryzen and his RAM management I would like to test my hardware again.
I think a good way would be if the GCC is compiled. It consumes about 2.5 GiB of RAM. My machine has 16 GiB RAM and 16 Gib Swap.
That would be 12 to 13 instances of parallel GCC compilation operations. And if possible for 24 hours. Should the PC crash, a log must record
the evidence of the last 100 lines.

With portage and emerge, you can not run parallel instances of the same program being compiled. In addition, the time factor is missing.

At the moment I start "emerge chrome/gcc/libreoffice/firefox" in parallel from severel terminals. That is not sufficient.

But with a bash script would it work?

Does anyone have any idea how such a script could look like?

Many Thanks
Ma
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall, you are thinking of the wrong tool to use to do the parallel compilations. If you are not intending to install the compiled files, you would be better of just running ebuild (the layer below emerge). Even then, you get into a issue of not being able to do multiple compiles at once of the same package.

So, what would work for your purpose is to run make (what portage ends up running anyways to start compiling the packages) in the directory of the source files. Note, you will need separate copy of the source files for each independent compile run. From there, you can have your script run make in each separate (work) folder in parallel.

Someone more knowledgeable than me, could help identify if bash script or some other scripting language would suit your needs better.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marlo ...

probably a better idea would be to use a benchmark suite designed for this sort of testing, app-benchmarks/stress-ng comes to mind ... see manual (pdf).

best ... khay
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: