How to use a downgraded package of openssl
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rejoy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:42 am    Post subject: How to use a downgraded package of openssl Reply with quote

Hi,

Please refer an earlier post https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1083656-highlight-.html. I was able to install all packages for the profile I had selected after using the --exclude=openssl option alaong with emerge --ask --deep --newuse --with-bdeps=y @world. But I don't know what the exclude option really does. Would this command have build packages factoring in the dependencies of openssl 1.0.2 or without it. Essentially what I am seeking to know is what is the right way to use a downgraded package, specifically openssl 1.0.2 and also the correct way to upgrade the entire system without upgrading the specific package.

Thanks
Rejoy
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, exclude option does as the name infers, in that portage will exclude openssl from the output. For example, I often use exclude when I do depclean to exclude gentoo-sources, so depclean will not clean any versions of that package.
As far as beyond that, portage will go by the current version of openssl installed for dependency resolution. For the few packages that depend on 1.0.2, it will either also exclude or throw an error (more likely if the other package is a dependency for something else).
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: How to use a downgraded package of openssl Reply with quote

Rejoy wrote:
Essentially what I am seeking to know is what is the right way to use a downgraded package, specifically openssl 1.0.2 and also the correct way to upgrade the entire system without upgrading the specific package.

Rejoy ... that sounds as if you still have an unmask for >=dev-libs/openssl-1.1.0h-r2 because the available packages are both 1.0.2o. Anyhow, the advice/lesson here should be don't use '--autounmask-write' ... particularly when lacking the experience of how to deal with the issues it will inevitably lead to.

best .... khay
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No openssl-1.0.2 isn't a declassed package, it's correct version for stable or unstable gentoo.
openssl-1.1.0 is hard masked and should not be installed in a gentoo system (for now because has ABI chenged and may package fails to build).
Now thare is some case how portage want to install openssl-1.1.0 because --autounmask options is enabled, in this cases you can simply disable this option (--autounmask n)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: