Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
SLI Laptop + VT-d = windows guest gaming?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
statikregimen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: SLI Laptop + VT-d = windows guest gaming? Reply with quote

Greetings!

Just wanted to do a quick sanity check before I drop $1800 on a laptop upgrade.

Currently, I have an MSI GT72S with a single GTX980M 8gb GPU

I'm looking to grab a nearly identical model but that has dual 980M GPUs in SLI, with the goal being to dedicate one of the GPUs to a virtual machine running Windows to fill in the gaming gap. I've tried Steam in-home streaming, but just not getting great results (gigabit LAN, but still loads of input lag, and other annoyances like some/all games wont use my joystick or controller, resolution issues, etc).

I did confirm that my BIOS supports VT-d so I have no reason to suspect the upgraded laptop wouldn't also. I believe that is all I need for this sort of thing? Will the SLI bridge cause me any headaches (and i have no idea how the bridge would be made or if i can physically remove it in a laptop or if it'd be soldered into he motherboard)?

Any other pitfalls with this sort of setup I may not be aware of? I've googled it and it seems like once it's set up most people find success, but I may be missing something still.

Any insight is hugely appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by statikregimen on Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:20 am; edited 2 times in total
Keruskerfuerst
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you really want to have a SLI system?
statikregimen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keruskerfuerst wrote:
Do you really want to have a SLI system?

No, I want to have a gaming-grade laptop with 2 GPUs, so that I can dedicate one to a Windows guest running in KVM/Qemu. If there are other better approaches, I'm open to suggestion. I have a DisplayLink adapter that maybe could be used for the host Gentoo, while the Windows guest uses the laptop's GPU, but I'm just not sure how to do the switch on the fly (b/c eventually I want Gentoo to have the GPU back for it's own gaming - this is just so I can play all my non-Linux compatible games on one machine w/o dual boot).

EDIT: I think the real problem will be that there's probably no way to connect a monitor to the 2nd GPU. The SLI laptop I'm looking at has 1xHDMI, 1xmDP, and 1xThunderbolt (same as my current). I've considered external GPUs, but I can build a whole computer for the cost of that.

This is ultimately what I'm trying to achieve: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37D2bRsthfI (but with a laptop ideally).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: