View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apheus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] xorg-server cannot find any symbols of its driver Reply with quote

Hello,

I have a gentoo virtualbox guest (Windows 10 host). Mostly stable, but virtualbox-guest-additions-5.2.16. Xorg video driver is xf86-video-vboxvideo. The setup used to work fine, but rendering has always been done by modesetting_drv. Vboxvideo_drv could never load correctly, so xorg fell back to modesetting.

I always had LDFLAGS="${LDFLAGS} -Wl,--hash-style=gnu -Wl,-z,now -Wl,-z,relro -Wl,-z,noexecstack" in make.conf.

Today I read that these can cause problems with vboxvideo_drv. The ebuild seems to add "lazy", but this is not enough without "norelro", or is it?

I configured xf86-video-vboxvideo and xorg-server with "lazy", "execstack" and "norelro". No change after remerging xf86-video-vboxvideo. The problems started after remerging xorg-server: No x session. From the Xorg.0.log (cannot paste, not at the machine right now):

Code:
Failed to load /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/vboxvideo_drv.so: Undefined symbol "vgaHWFreeHWRec"
Failed to load /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/modesetting_drv.so: Undefined symbol "shadowRemove"

The first one has probably alway been so, but modesetting used to work.

So I thought "Get at least a working desktop again with vesa?" Nope:

Code:
Failed to load /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/vesa_drv.so: Undefined symbol "VBESetModeParameters"

This is even after rolling back the LDFLAGS changes to what LDFLAGS were before, and remerging mesa, xf86-video-vesa, xf86-video-vboxvideo and xorg-server. And without LDFLAGS in make.conf at all, same remerges.

How did I do this, and how to repair? Any ideas, before I start emerge -e?

Thank you.

Last edited by Apheus on Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apheus,

I had something like this. Its because Xorg does not implement real dynamic linking and requires that its modules get loaded in the right order.
See Xorg fail to start intel_drv.so: undefined symbol: v[SOLVED]

The module list there may or may not work for you but its a starting point.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Apheus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] xorg-server cannot find any symbols of its driver m Reply with quote

Thank you NeddySeagoon, working through the error messages and modules with grep led me to this /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/01-modules.conf:

Code:
Section "Module"
   Load "vgahw"
   Load "fb"
   Load "shadowfb"
   Load "shadow"
   Load "glamoregl"
EndSection

And I have a working desktop again! Xorg chooses vboxvideo as driver. Kinfocenter, inxi and glxinfo still report mesa/llvmpipe as OpenGL provider, but maybe that is supposed to be.

LDFLAGS are as before. The conf file above is necessary. I don't know why it has not been necessary before.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: