32bit Google-Chrome Stops Working
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: 32bit Google-Chrome Stops Working Reply with quote

A couple of weeks ago, all of my 32 bit installations of Google-Chrome just stopped working. By what devilish machinations was Google able to do that? Nothing works. You can't even go into settings.
amd64/23.0/split-usr/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,
I assume your experience is with a Gentoo package or you wouldn't be posting here. But when did you build chrome initially, and what package it it? Could you include some more information about the package, like maybe also emerge -pqv or emerge --info output as well as some of the potential reasons for why (if Google isn't actually changing your system libraries or other files) that could have something to do with either a change of profile, or some other enviornment related stuff that either will show up in make.conf or somewhere else.

Do you recall having removed any of those 32-bit libraries/dependencies?

Also is there anyway to get some crash log, or error output from Chrom....I am "old school" about the way of debugging I usually just start the program from a terminal and look for message that look the cause at or near the time of application crash. Sorry, if the application doesn't even start this may not apply. But you should post some more information about the package to get some suggestions from the ebuild and what it might look like from a package maintainers vantage point.

Most likely as far as I'm concerned that something had to change wth your system, hopefully it isn't malware but I wouldn't rule anything out at this early stage. Have you experienced issues elsewhere on the system? Can you do some sort of wiping clean of chrome before you restart it again to make sure that things like addons are all disabled in case they are the source of some of this.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think Google built in an expiration try turning back the clock a few months. May help to understand what's going on. OTOH, 32 bit Chrome is dead anyway, getting too heavy for low end machines.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: