Research survey: Impact of Microsoft Acquisition of GitHub
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
natnaree
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Research survey: Impact of Microsoft Acquisition of GitHub Reply with quote

Dear contributors,

I am Natnaree Asavaseri and currently undertaking a research internship at Nara Institute of Science and Technology, Japan. As a part of my research, I am analyzing the impact of Microsoft's acquisition of GitHub.

I would like to conduct a survey to understand how developers perceive the Microsoft's acquisition of GitHub, especially from contributors to Linux distributions and BSD families. So please consider voicing your opinion by allowing us up to 5 minutes to complete our short survey. 

https://goo.gl/forms/lbIL5qsinDRQyTaK2

We would like to remind you that participation in this survey is completely voluntary and your identity is hidden for anonymity. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Natnaree
Nara Institute of Science and Technology, Japan
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Research survey: Impact of Microsoft Acquisition of GitH Reply with quote

natnaree wrote:
your identity is hidden for anonymity
With a link to Google? :lol:
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokey wrote:
Done

You didn't fill that out, did you? He specifically said he wanted developers. The only thing you've developed is a case of gout.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
cokey wrote:
Done

You didn't fill that out, did you? He specifically said he wanted developers. The only thing you've developed is a case of gout.

You should appreciate other people's efforts. Do you know how hard it is to develop gout in the first world?
natnaree
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear contributors,

I am happy to announce that we are ready to release preliminary results of the "Developer Perception to Microsoft's acquisition of GitHub" survey. These results can be accessed at "https://naist-se.github.io/study-of-microsofts-github-acquisition/". Again thank you for your participation and please feel free to share or discuss these results.

Natnaree
NAIST, Japan
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a lot more opinionated than I thought it'd be. Seems like slashdot/groklaw culture is alive and well after all.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical grad student crap.

The title is "Developer Perception Of Microsoft's GitHub Acquisition", yet you have limited your sample (loosely, I might add) to Linux/BSD contributors.

Are you people there at NAIST not required to learn some proper statistics before yo go about conducting "studies" and publicizing the results? This is about the most egregious case of selection bias I have ever seen.

What was your hypothesis to begin with, that Linux contributors are not comfortable with Microsoft acquiring GitHub? I hope this isn't something some alleged academic institution is allowing you to do for a grade. If so, the faculty advisor needs to go back to school himself.

Oh, yes, you reveal your selection bias in the study's sub-title, but that does not make it go away. Moreover, the "study" is virtually devoid of real statistical analysis. While I haven't read it in depth, I see no sign of a hypothesis, no sign of statistical testing, and no analysis of uncertainty, never mind causal investigation.

A survey showing Linux developers are uncomfortable with something this obvious is not anaytically useful. This is something I would expect of 14 year olds. Worse, the methodology is of a similar level of sophistication.

Now, if you are in fact a teen-aged student. I apologize for misunderstanding the level of the work I was looking at.

Last edited by Bones McCracker on Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
The title is "Developer Perception Of Microsoft's GitHub Acquisition", yet you have limited your sample (loosely, I might add) to Linux/BSD contributors.

How are they supposed to find other demographics? Asking in Apple's Linux forum?
Marcih
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epic win. Microsoft last seen running towards the forest with its pants down. Carnelian Fedora seems to be wearing MS' company-issued "We <3 Open Source" T-shirt with a grease-stain that bears an uncanny resemblance to good old Lenny that's so very much loved on these forums.
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcih wrote:
Epic win. Microsoft last seen running towards the forest with its pants down. Carnelian Fedora seems to be wearing MS' company-issued "We <3 Open Source" T-shirt with a grease-stain that bears an uncanny resemblance to good old Lenny that's so very much loved on these forums.

Huh?
Ammunition: Federal Premium HST 124gr
Light: Inforce APLc
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just go with it, man. It means whatever you feel when you read it. Think of it as abstract art, Bitcoin, or the smell of restrooms marked "Other". Do you grok?
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, one of the most influential forums for MS tech related stuff is technet (hosted by MS themselves), is missing from the surveyed. Not to mention github community.

It would have been interesting to find out what people who're not predominantly *nix users have to say about MS takeover of github.
Morality124
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yeah, one of the most influential forums for MS tech related stuff is technet (hosted by MS themselves), is missing from the surveyed. Not to mention github community.

It would have been interesting to find out what people who're not predominantly *nix users have to say about MS takeover of github.

Bring on the sycophants!
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't work that that. You people need education.

You start out with a problem, and you form one or more testable hypotheses to confirm or deny the problem as stated.

For example, we might be thinking, "this is stupid because most github users will stop using github if Microsoft take it over".

Hypothesis A HA(1): Microsoft's acquisition of github will cause most current github users to abandon it
Null hypothesis A HA(0): Microsoft's acquisition of github will NOT cause most current github users to abandon it

Then, you structure your survey to provide data about the extent to which that is true and/or different ways in which that may be true.

Then, you analyze the data, and you compare the results to truth using statistical tests. Tests enable to say useful, mathematically supportable things like "with 95% certainty, Microsoft's acquisition of github will NOT cause most current github users to abandon it".

Now, there is a place for unstructured, loosely analyzed surveys such as the one we were given here. They can be useful as a preliminary tool to help feel out the data and formulate hypotheses. But this is not a "study" unto itself. You can't rely on anything it.
Morality124
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
It doesn't work that that. You people need education.

You start out with a problem, and you form one or more testable hypotheses to confirm or deny the problem as stated.

For example, we might be thinking, "this is stupid because most github users will stop using github if Microsoft take it over".

Hypothesis A HA(1): Microsoft's acquisition of github will cause most current github users to abandon it
Null hypothesis A HA(0): Microsoft's acquisition of github will NOT cause most current github users to abandon it

Then, you structure your survey to provide data about the extent to which that is true and/or different ways in which that may be true.

Then, you analyze the data, and you compare the results to truth using statistical tests. Tests enable to say useful, mathematically supportable things like "with 95% certainty, Microsoft's acquisition of github will NOT cause most current github users to abandon it".

Now, there is a place for unstructured, loosely analyzed surveys such as the one we were given here. They can be useful as a preliminary tool to help feel out the data and formulate hypotheses. But this is not a "study" unto itself. You can't rely on anything it.

Fully agree with you. This "study" is just asking for participation bias among other things.
Marcih
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
Just go with it, man. It means whatever you feel when you read it. Think of it as abstract art, Bitcoin, or the smell of restrooms marked "Other". Do you grok?

This man gets it. Think of it as a discount patrix_neo post with 100% less whatever substance he is on whenever he posts.
patrix_neo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcih wrote:
Bones McCracker wrote:

This man gets it. Think of it as a discount patrix_neo post with 100% less whatever substance he is on whenever he posts.

Just because you do not understand the undelying implications of my posts, doesn't mean you are wrong....
Stop posting fake news
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: