[SOLVED] SRCD Multiple monitor support
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johngalt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] SRCD Multiple monitor support Reply with quote

Hi, all,

I'm currently installing Gentoo on 3 devices - 2 laptops and a desktop. I am still booted into Windows 10 on the desktop and performing the installs on the laptops simultaneously via KiTTy and WinSCP.

When I get to installing on the desktop, I figure I'll boot System Rescue CD into the XFCE and use that - but when it does that I am limited to a single monitor.

Desktop is a Core i7 965 EE on an eVGA X58 Classified 3 mobo with an nVidia GTX 970 PCIe card, to which 2 monitors are connected via DVI and a large (but inappropriately angled) Sony Bravia TV is connected via HDMI.

Previous attempts to boot into XFCE on SRCD only yield one of the monitors working.

Anyone know how to get it to recognize a dual monitor setup? I searched SRCD forums and found no help, only requests for enabling this.

If not, I suppose I could use the more ancient Gentoo Live DVD to boot from - but does that natively support multiple monitors?

I have more than a couple of references to follow when setting up my system (including but not limited to: nVidia wiki, GPT Wiki, LVM Wiki, etc.) and being able to use multiple monitors would be a blessing (as using SSH from a laptop would be just as inefficient as using the single monitor when I need terminal at near full screen to configure the kernel....

NOTE: Yes, I know I can swap between applications in XFCE just like in any modern GUI - but it makes life a ton more easier when copying and pasting commands to have them side by side, preferably in separate monitors, so that I can make sure of what I am copying and pasting. Plus, these eyes are no longer young, and larger fonts makes everything much more readable - but takes away valuable real estate.
If you want to retain credibility as a functional adult; when you are told that you are acting boorishly, the correct response is to consider that possibility and act accordingly to correct that behavior.

Amen.

Last edited by johngalt on Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
xrandr --auto
to begin with.
johngalt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried that.

Got message
Code:
Failed to get size of gamma for output default
from inside XFCE on SRCD.
If you want to retain credibility as a functional adult; when you are told that you are acting boorishly, the correct response is to consider that possibility and act accordingly to correct that behavior.

Amen.
johngalt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I'll use the latest live disc. It does support multiple monitors, natively.

Amen.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a new kernel on SRCD, it is not booted by default, you need to choose it manually. My guess is there was no correct driver for your graphics with older kernel and X ran on fallback driver. No telling really without looking at Xorg log.
johngalt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently booted into the Live CD, but can easily abort this (Haven't started installing anything yet, still reading and gathering information and step).

I do know that the last time I attempted to boot SRCD with the default first option (boots directly to cli) it wasn't running actual nVidia provided drivers, but rather the oss nouveau drivers.

I can boot that up in a moment and post the Xorg log - as soon as I figure out where it is.

Amen.
johngalt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found another thread that listed the default location.

I'm looking for instructions now to boot the newer kernel now.

I'd actually prefer to use SRCD for the install, if I have to use a GUI / DWM, because it is much newer, and the newer profile also allows me to install more relevant apps that I need on the fly (like KeePass). Installing KP 2.34 led to a cyclic dependency error on the Gentoo Live DVD lol. The GTK version is woefully old at 2.02 and doesn't have the main feature I need, Timed One-Time PWs....

Amen.
johngalt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, it says only 2 kernels available - x86 and x64: http://www.system-rescue-cd.org/Kernel/

Quote:

Kernels provided on SystemRescueCd-5.2.x

the two kernel images are rescue32 (32bit) and rescue64 (64bit)
these kernel is based on the Long-Term-Supported linux-4.14 kernel with fedora patches and the SystemRescueCd patchset
the alternative kernels are not provided any more since version 5.0.0 (altker32 and altker64)

Since I'm doing an X64 install, I obviously need the X64 kernel.

Quote:

Available 64 bit kernel

rescue64 is the only 64bit kernel provided with SystemRescueCd since version 5.0.0
these 64bit kernels will work only if you have an intel/amd 64bit processor (x86_64)
these 64bit kernels do not work on IA64 / Itanium processors
you must use a 64bit kernel if you want to chroot to a Linux system using 64bit programs.
64bit kernels can execute 32bit programs since the IA32 instructions support is included in the kernel

Amen.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: I see, alternative kernels are not offered any more. That's new.
johngalt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup.

So, here is the entire log: https://pastebin.com/ANmncyg2

Of note:

`cat Xorg.0.log| grep -i nvidia '
Code:

[    37.696] (II) NOUVEAU driver for NVIDIA chipset families :
[    37.696] (II) NOUVEAU driver for NVIDIA chipset families :
[    37.815] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM: NVIDIA
[    37.815] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
[    38.195] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM: NVIDIA
[    38.195] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

`cat Xorg.0.log| grep -i display'
Code:

[    37.981] (II) VESA(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen section
[    38.011] (II) VESA(0): Digital Display Input
[    38.099] (**) VESA(0): Display dimensions: (510, 290) mm

`cat Xorg.0.log| grep -i monitor'
Code:

[    37.599] (**) |   |-->Monitor "<default monitor>"
[    37.599] (==) No monitor specified for screen "Default Screen Section".
   Using a default monitor configuration.
[    38.011] (II) VESA(0): Monitor name: LEN LT2323pwA
[    38.094] (II) VESA(0): <default monitor>: Using hsync range of 30.00-83.00 kHz
[    38.094] (II) VESA(0): <default monitor>: Using vrefresh range of 50.00-75.00 Hz
[    38.094] (II) VESA(0): <default monitor>: Using maximum pixel clock of 175.00 MHz

When I went looking for the configuration files to see if I could manualoly edit them, All I found were siles with scripts in them - which makes sense when it comes to a live CD that needs to be bootable and usable across a plethora of machines and configurations....

That monitor listed is exactly what I have, though - a pair of them actually, with default resolution of 1920 * 1080 @ 60hZ

Also, I paid attention when the kernel was booting and saw that it acutally listed the corect video card I have installed, nVidia GTX 970 (not mobile, full card).

But whereas the Gentoo Live DVD makes use of both screens, SRCD Does not....

Amen.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory

The kernel support is missing for your graphics hardware if you get this message. So fallback VESA is used. This also explains why xrandr failed.
johngalt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, OK.

Gonna go back to the live DVD and see about trying to get updated versions of apps on it and see if that helps any.

Amen.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: