genkernel 3.5.3.3 requires util-linux with USE="static-libs"
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jorgicio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: genkernel 3.5.3.3 requires util-linux with USE="static- Reply with quote

Hi!
I noted a recent version of genkernel came out. However, it requires the util-linux package to be with the USE="static-libs" enabled.
So the question is: What are the risks of having that USE-flag enabled? Is it recommended? Because genkernel asks for it. May I submit a bug report for that?

Thanks.
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be no immediate risk, aside from the wasted compilation time and disk space. Long term, there is some slight risk that you would install packages that would link to the static libraries, rather than the shared ones, and would then need to rebuild them to benefit from subsequent improvements in util-linux.

I discourage use of static-libs wherever possible. You could submit a bug report asking that it be undone, but my guess is that this was done because genkernel developed a dependency on the static libraries, so this was necessary to get the ebuild to work properly. If I were the maintainer, I would try to modify genkernel not to need static-libs; I am not the maintainer though.
jorgicio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Got it. Thanks for the response. I'm now submitting an issue in the Bugzilla in order to do something with that feature and optionally use shared libraries.
Or maybe to go with genkernel-next. Is that recommendable?
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jorgicio wrote:

jorgicio ... the dependency is most likely so that static components of util-linux can be included in genkernel's initramfs output. Why, when busybox would suffice, I can't say, but you can see the logic where initramfs is increasingly "the new root" (and the duplication, kitchen-sinkism, etc, that comes with it).

In terms of using system/package installed binaries for initramfs generation I'm averse to the idea, there is little reason not to build those things separately, in fact there are advantages to doing so (ie, you can uClibc, or musl, and so keep the initramfs small). For this reason I recommend using better-initramfs, it uses Aboriginal Linux (a small Linux/uClibc system capable of rebuilding itself), or (more recently) Alpine Linux (with musl libc) as the build system and so is entirely separate from the host OS. It produces very lightweight initramfs (mine is currently 2.5mb uncompressed ... and includes lvm2, cryptsetup, dropbear, busybox), doesn't require USE="static-libs", and doesn't need rebuilt on kernel updates.

So, if you're not tied to genkernel you might give it a try, pre-built binaries are available here.

best ... khay
figueroa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seemed like a bad idea. I masked genkernel 3.5.3.3 and will take a wait and see approach. I haven't actually used genkernel for 10 years or so, but it's seemed handy to keep on-hand.
Duncan Mac Leod
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

figueroa wrote:
This seemed like a bad idea. I masked genkernel 3.5.3.3 and will take a wait and see approach.

Mee too! Hope they 'll abandon the usage of static libs for genkernel.
jorgicio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

figueroa wrote:
This seemed like a bad idea. I masked genkernel 3.5.3.3 and will take a wait and see approach. I haven't actually used genkernel for 10 years or so, but it's seemed handy to keep on-hand.

Me too. Now, I'm using the 3.5.1.1 version of genkernel, which doesn't make static-libs in util-linux mandatory.
jorgicio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
jorgicio wrote:

jorgicio ... the dependency is most likely so that static components of util-linux can be included in genkernel's initramfs output. Why, when busybox would suffice, I can't say, but you can see the logic where initramfs is increasingly "the new root" (and the duplication, kitchen-sinkism, etc, that comes with it).

In terms of using system/package installed binaries for initramfs generation I'm averse to the idea, there is little reason not to build those things separately, in fact there are advantages to doing so (ie, you can uClibc, or musl, and so keep the initramfs small). For this reason I recommend using better-initramfs, it uses Aboriginal Linux (a small Linux/uClibc system capable of rebuilding itself), or (more recently) Alpine Linux (with musl libc) as the build system and so is entirely separate from the host OS. It produces very lightweight initramfs (mine is currently 2.5mb uncompressed ... and includes lvm2, cryptsetup, dropbear, busybox), doesn't require USE="static-libs", and doesn't need rebuilt on kernel updates.

So, if you're not tied to genkernel you might give it a try, pre-built binaries are available here.

best ... khay

I tried better-initramfs and I found it doesn't get so along with btrfs, so I discarded it and went with Dracut. It saved the day. Also I had to built the kernel manually, and nothing justifies the forced use of static linked libraries.

Thanks anyways.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jorgicio wrote:
I tried better-initramfs and I found it doesn't get so along with btrfs, so I discarded it and went with Dracut.

jorgicio ... I have no experience in that regard, other than knowing that you need to pass 'rootflags=' with the root btrfs subvolume.

best ... khay
jorgicio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
jorgicio wrote:
I tried better-initramfs and I found it doesn't get so along with btrfs, so I discarded it and went with Dracut.

jorgicio ... I have no experience in that regard, other than knowing that you need to pass 'rootflags=' with the root btrfs subvolume.

best ... khay

I tried with that, also, I found it can't find any /dev/sd* devices. I checked with the rescueshell and the /dev folder is empty.
johngalt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So glad this thread was put up here - ran into that in the middle of a build that I had to scrap.

Masking it as well, for now.
If you want to retain credibility as a functional adult; when you are told that you are acting boorishly, the correct response is to consider that possibility and act accordingly to correct that behavior.

Amen.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: