Issues with module signature verification
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hololeap
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Issues with module signature verification Reply with quote

I'm a bit baffled as to what is happening here, but I'll lay it all out and hopefully someone will be able to point me in the right direction. Basically, for a period of time now (and I'm not really sure when this started) I have not been able to boot a newly-built kernel without getting tons of "PKCS#7 signature not signed with a trusted key" errors and no modules being loaded. The strange thing is that I have been using the CONFIG_MODULE_SIG, CONFIG_MODULE_SIG_FORCE, and CONFIG_MODULE_SIG_ALL options for a long time, and I have never had any issues with it until now.

I am currently running a kernel built using genkernel-next from gentoo-sources-4.16.6 and I have no issues. Strangely, if I use genkernel-next to build a new kernel using the same config file and kernel version, I start getting this error. Here are the steps I'm taking to reproduce this problem:

- emerge -1c gentoo-sources:4.16.6
    - rm -r /usr/src/linux-4.16.6-gentoo
    - emerge -1 gentoo-sources:4.16.6
    - Make sure the linux-4.16.6-gentoo is selected using eselect kernel list and make sure the /usr/src symlink is correct
    - Copy the current config using zcat /proc/config.gz > /usr/src/linux/.config
    - Modify the config using make menuconfig inside /usr/src/linux, just to set CONFIG_LOCALVERSION to "-test"
    - Copy the modified config to /boot/config
    - Run genkernel --kernel-config=/boot/config all
    - Run grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

For whatever reason, when I boot 'Gentoo GNU/Linux, with Linux x86_64-4.16.6-gentoo-test', it boots fine, but no modules are able to load and I see the "PKCS#7 signature not signed with a trusted key" pop up repeatedly.

Here is the output of uname -a:
Code:
Linux triton 4.16.6-gentoo #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue May 22 02:16:13 MDT 2018 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 630 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

eselect kernel list:
Code:
Available kernel symlink targets:
  [1]   linux-4.16.6-gentoo *
  [2]   linux-4.17.1-gentoo

ls -l /usr/src
Code:
total 4
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root   80 May 30 06:46 debug
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   19 Jun 15 19:31 linux -> linux-4.16.6-gentoo
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root  168 Jun 16 10:29 linux-4.16.10-gentoo
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root   14 Jun 16 10:31 linux-4.16.12-gentoo
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1088 Jun 16 10:25 linux-4.16.6-gentoo
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root   14 Jun 16 10:25 linux-4.17.0-gentoo
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root  524 Jun 13 15:51 linux-4.17.1-gentoo

/etc/genkernel.conf: https://paste.pound-python.org/show/dFUSCvQb3ttMgDR9Lj1Y/
/usr/src/linux/.config: https://paste.pound-python.org/show/zPfQhN6zMJZA86ydI2Rv/
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: