[SOLVED - Fx / PA]No sound Gentoo Live DVD
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johngalt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:31 am    Post subject: [SOLVED - Fx / PA]No sound Gentoo Live DVD Reply with quote

Hi, all,

Using the Gentoo Live DVD for installation on my desktop. I see that the kernel is loading all sorts of modules for soung - `lsmod | grep snd' shows
Code:

snd_usb_audio         142654  0
snd_usbmidi_lib        19338  1 snd_usb_audio
snd_rawmidi            20149  1 snd_usbmidi_lib
snd_seq_device          4363  1 snd_rawmidi
snd_timer              20803  0
snd_hda_codec_realtek    64017  1
snd_hda_codec_hdmi     34595  1
snd_hda_codec_generic    47672  1 snd_hda_codec_realtek
snd_hda_intel          22430  0
snd_hda_codec          86071  4 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_intel
snd_hda_core           44369  5 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel
snd_hwdep               5785  2 snd_usb_audio,snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm                79063  5 snd_usb_audio,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_core
snd                    64359  11 snd_usb_audio,snd_hwdep,snd_timer,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_pcm,snd_rawmidi,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_usbmidi_lib,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_seq_device

And yet I am not getting sound at all. I've never noticed until now because I've not had any use for sound - but as I was emerging @world I decided that a bit of youtube would be great. Until I could only watch the video stream. :evil:

As I'm still learning m way around all this again, I'm rather clueless on what I should attempt to do - and this bodes ill for when I boot my own system and have to tackle all this again if my sound doesn't work on my native kernel.

So, I figured I'd ask - I've found posts about sound working through headphones and not speakers, which included sound working on the Live DVD - which is the opposite of me. Still, though, I've not tried to modify the live DVD at all, not since I tried to modify SRCD to use multiple monitors, which failed, but this DVD works wtih multiple monitors.

Anyhoo, `aplay --list-devices' yields
Code:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC892 Digital [ALC892 Digital]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]
card 2: Headset [Logitech USB Headset], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]

and `cat /sys/class/sound/card*/id' yields

Code:
Intel
NVidia
Headset

Which makes sense - because I originally had my headphones connected to the front panel headphone and mic jacks, and when that didn't work, I grabbed an old Logitech USB to analog headphone / mic jack and connected my headphones that way.

Now, just to be sure, I tested the headphones with my Google Pixel 2 XL, and they work fine - and they worked fine for the last 2 years on this same machine, both using that same USB dongle as well as the front panel jacks, in WinX. I also just tested them on my Nexus 6 - also working. So, headphones are not the issue.

But also according to https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/ALSA#Installation there should be asound config files - in /etc/ as well as in ~ - none of these are there.

As I'm currently installing to the local HD, I am logged in as the default gentoo user, which I created a pw for, then I did `sudo su' to get root access, changed root's pw, then finally opened a new terminal screen and used `su' to gain root access for the install. I checked in both the default gentoo user and root's ~ dirs, as well as etc - noasound config files anywhere.

Do I need to just create them myself to get sound working?

I suspect that this emerge @world is going to take at least another hour, so any help with this would be appreciated.
If you want to retain credibility as a functional adult; when you are told that you are acting boorishly, the correct response is to consider that possibility and act accordingly to correct that behavior.

Amen.

Last edited by johngalt on Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Keruskerfuerst
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post the relevant part (sound config) of the kernel?

I have seen, that the intel sound module is not loaded and this module does provide sound for Realtek ALC 892.
ali3nx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something perhaps worth considering

The gentoo livedvd is two years outdated. I'm genuinely curious how old the kernel version is that livedvd is running. the likely obsolete kernel version could be the short list of obsolete and buggy software included.

If you need a more current gentoo based live media offering that also has kde plasma sysrescuecd would be a great option.
Compile long and Prosper!
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I've noticed those developers never include support for future hardware. I think their crystal balls are out of order all the time.
Keruskerfuerst
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try to load the module snd_hd_intel manually.
johngalt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keruskerfuerst wrote:
You can try to load the module snd_hd_intel manually.

I'll give that a shot.

ali3nx wrote:
Something perhaps worth considering

The gentoo livedvd is two years outdated. I'm genuinely curious how old the kernel version is that livedvd is running. the likely obsolete kernel version could be the short list of obsolete and buggy software included.

If you need a more current gentoo based live media offering that also has kde plasma sysrescuecd would be a great option.

Yeah, about that - I used SRCD for a while, but on the desktop it became cumbersome because of the fact that it refuses to make use of my dual monitor set up. It works fantastic on single monitor setups, and devices with a single screen, e.g. laptops. If I had another desktop that I could use to SSH into the machine it would be great - but I don't. All are laptops except for this one machine.

I opted to go with the DVD as it is not too old (relatively speaking) and is using kernel 4.5.2 (-aufs-r1) - much newer than my actual hardware (see below).

Jaglover wrote:
Yea, I've noticed those developers never include support for future hardware. I think their crystal balls are out of order all the time.

Hard to need a crystal ball on a Machine that is 5+ years older than the DVD.

Core i7 965 EE on an eVGA X58 Classified 3 motherboard with 12 GB of Triple channel DDR3 :wink:
If you want to retain credibility as a functional adult; when you are told that you are acting boorishly, the correct response is to consider that possibility and act accordingly to correct that behavior.

Amen.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johngalt,

snd_hd_intel isn't always very good at guessing your hardware setup.
You may need to pass a model= parameter at module load time.

I suppose that you do have Master, Front and PCM unmuted an the sliders set to 50%
Also, the digital outputs must be muted.

snd_hd_intel can do digital or analogue output but not both at the same time.
Digital wins if its enabled.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
johngalt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, in alsamixer, all the digital were already at 00, on both intel and usb-audio.

I'm just gonna leave it as it is - I've got too much other stuff to do. No sound? No big deal.

Amen.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johngalt,

[OO] in the switch means Open. They must be [MM] for mute.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
johngalt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That might have been it.

However, I decided to boot SRCD again and give that a shot. And then when I tried to load YouTube, Firefox had a message at the top that I needed PulseAudio installed. I suspect that was hte root cause on the Gentoo Live DVD as well.

At any rate, I'm here now and in the middle of configuring a kernel, so I just plopped my headphones into my phone and am using that for music and such.

Thanks for the tip - I didn't pay attention in Gentoo Live DVD to see if the digital streams were muted, only that their levels were at 00 (nothing showing at all in terms of levels).

And thanks to everyone for trying to help - I left out a key piece of information that would have probably been solved - I just never knew that Fx was so 'special' wrt audio output. As I have always used Fx as my default browser, I just turned to it naturally on both the Live DVD and SRCD.

Marking this solved, and bookmarking for all the excellent advice (as I've done with all my posts :D )

Amen.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: