Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Dantrell's GNOME Without Systemd Project (Part 2)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14, 15, 16  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
runningnak3d
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Things I have had to do to get it to build... Reply with quote

I had to:

* manually unmerge 3.28 gnome-control-center
* Add networkmanager use flag for gnome-settings-daemon in package.use
* Temp disable branding: USE="-branding" emerge gdm due to the logo patch failing (hunk failure)

I will post the full output for gdm when I get my desktop to load again :)

EDIT:

emerge --info https://pastebin.com/kJ5nx6kw

build log: https://pastebin.com/c3cM17BU

ebuild environment: https://pastebin.com/WnEz2QJ0

Here is the pertinent part:

Code:

|From bcc651df77a429a6bf9b13892f71fedb1b87a069 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
|From: Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@gentoo.org>
|Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 22:46:58 +0100
|Subject: [PATCH 4/4] Apply Gentoo branding
|
|---
| data/org.gnome.login-screen.gschema.xml.in | 2 +-
| 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)
|
|diff --git a/data/org.gnome.login-screen.gschema.xml.in b/data/org.gnome.login-screen.gschema.xml.in
|index 03da374..5e81bc0 100644
|--- a/data/org.gnome.login-screen.gschema.xml.in
|+++ b/data/org.gnome.login-screen.gschema.xml.in
--------------------------
No file to patch.  Skipping patch.
1 out of 1 hunk ignored                                                                                                                                                                                     [ !! ]
 * ERROR: gnome-base/gdm-3.30.1::dantrell-gnome-3-30 failed (prepare phase):
 *   patch -p1  failed with /var/tmp/portage/gnome-base/gdm-3.30.1/files/gdm-3.8.4-logo.patch

EDIT2: Also, x11-libs/vte doesn't have Python bindings enabled and no way to enable them with a USE flag -- so no terminator ;)

EDIT3: Just noticed that time is in UTC

-- Brian

Last edited by runningnak3d on Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
Juippisi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those steps, really interesting to read. I thought this was just a semi-serious hobby, but now it looks really professionally made hobby :)

Thanks again dantrell, will try updating next weekend.
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm not the first one this time :)

I'll be testing 3.30.1 on my home machine later today or tomorrow. I'll let you know if any problems arise.

Once again, thanks for your amazing work.
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:

Elleni wrote:
Small issue on the combined profile, which exists only for me anyways :twisted:

Also as usual, since you are the mastermind behind the GNOME+Plasma profiles, just let me know when you want the profiles to be switched from GNOME 3.28 to GNOME 3.30.

I synced yesterday and had one ore two build errors while updating world, that were fixed in the meantime obviously, as syncing again today enabled me to update my system successfully with gnome 3.28. Now I am ready to test the brand new gnome+plasma combined profile. Thanks for switching it to 3.30. :D

Thanks again, for your amazing job :!:
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuBuaBu wrote:
I guess the networkmanager use flag should not exist.

runningnak3d wrote:
* Add networkmanager use flag for gnome-settings-daemon in package.use

I missed the "(not optional on Linux platforms)" portion when I was checking for Meson configure options.

Edit: I have corrected this for now but I'll be looking into making it optional later.

runningnak3d wrote:

Was there a file collision?

Because I upgraded from 3.14 to 3.28 and then downgraded back and while I ran into a couple of trivial issues (which I'll be correcting), this wasn't one of them.

runningnak3d wrote:
* Temp disable branding: USE="-branding" emerge gdm due to the logo patch failing (hunk failure)

I corrected the patch.

runningnak3d wrote:
EDIT2: Also, x11-libs/vte doesn't have Python bindings enabled and no way to enable them with a USE flag -- so no terminator ;)

The Python bindings for VTE are provided by GObject Introspection and I'm pretty sure that got installed.

If what happened is that the Python bindings for a specific Python 3 version are present (and not for Python 2 which is what Terminator uses) then I know where the problem is.

runningnak3d wrote:
EDIT3: Just noticed that time is in UTC

I ruled out my patchset as well as confirmed that it's GNOME (since the output of the date command is correct).

I'll be digging through some code to find out what changed.

Juippisi wrote:
Those steps, really interesting to read. I thought this was just a semi-serious hobby, but now it looks really professionally made hobby :)

Somehow it turned out that way. :o

saboya wrote:
I guess I'm not the first one this time :)

On the bright side, you probably avoided rush hour. :wink:

Elleni wrote:
Now I am ready to test the brand new gnome+plasma combined profile. Thanks for switching it to 3.30. :D

And... switched. :twisted:

Last edited by dantrell on Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, gnome-online-accounts is not a USE flag for gnome-control-center anymore... Is it really a hard dep? Because that means it's no longer possible to have a system without webkit-gtk :(
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saboya wrote:
So, gnome-online-accounts is not a USE flag for gnome-control-center anymore... Is it really a hard dep? Because that means it's no longer possible to have a system without webkit-gtk :(

There were a few packages I switched to Meson this time around and since my priority was to get GNOME 3.30 working and available for testing I didn't forward-port every patch (although in some cases there was no patch and upstream is just terrible at making dependencies optional).

These patches are what I'll be working today after I get settled in.

So while I don't know for sure yet if GNOME Online Accounts and by extension WebKitGTK+ are actually hard dependencies, if they aren't, they will be patched.
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:

There were a few packages I switched to Meson this time around and since my priority was to get GNOME 3.30 working and available for testing I didn't forward-port every patch (although in some cases there was no patch and upstream is just terrible at making dependencies optional).

These patches are what I'll be working today after I get settled in.

So while I don't know for sure yet if GNOME Online Accounts and by extension WebKitGTK+ are actually hard dependencies, if they aren't, they will be patched.

I did a little digging and there's no option for that in the meson build file. But I'm stubborn so I attempted to make it optional again. Here's my attempt:

https://gist.github.com/saboya/aad7bfdabee50caa8bc412e25d795f91

I did not test this at all yet, since it won't compile without libnm < 1.10 (and I'm still on 3.28 with libnm-1.8). But, basically I added a "enable_online_accounts" option, and conditionally added goa_dep when the flag was true when needed, and only enabled the "online-accounts" panel when the option was true.

There's another panel affected by this, the "background" panel, where you need to remove the hard dep on goa and conditionally compile the grilo background file.

Not sure if you want to maintain a patch like this, but I probably will in my local overlay anyway.
Shibotto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished with my laptop and this was the smoothest upgrade so far. Excellent work! :D

I was ready to be disappointed, but I never expected the Shell to be even considerably choppier than before :(
Anyone else noticed this? I'm disabling animations because it's giving me headache.

EDIT: It seems way more reactive as of dev-libs/gjs-1.54.2. It's still GNOME-choppy, but it's nothing compared to when I first wrote this post.

Last edited by Shibotto on Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saboya wrote:
I did a little digging and there's no option for that in the meson build file. But I'm stubborn so I attempted to make it optional again. [...]

That's actually what I meant I was going to do. :D

Thanks for confirming it's not actually a hard dependency.

I'll be forward-porting similar patches for CUPS, NetworkMangager, colord and whatever else I'm forgetting.

saboya wrote:
I did not test this at all yet, since it won't compile without libnm < 1.10 (and I'm still on 3.28 with libnm-1.8).

I'll be correcting this dependency.

saboya wrote:
Not sure if you want to maintain a patch like this, but I probably will in my local overlay anyway.

I will since I always have.

Shibotto wrote:
I was ready to be disappointed, but I never expected the Shell to be even considerably choppier than before :(
Anyone else noticed this? I'm disabling animations because it's giving me headache.

If I did I probably figured it was QEMU.

Another thing to investigate.
runningnak3d
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:

Was there a file collision?

Because I upgraded from 3.14 to 3.28 and then downgraded back and while I ran into a couple of trivial issues (which I'll be correcting), this wasn't one of them.

For some reason the 3.28 version was trying to be rebuilt instead of upgraded and there were (of course) unmet dependencies. Once I unmerged it, the 3.30 version installed fine.

If you need me to, I will downgrade to 3.28 and get your more details. I apologize, my laptop died mid-build and I was stuck finishing on the console so I was not able to grab more details

dantrell wrote:

The Python bindings for VTE are provided by GObject Introspection and I'm pretty sure that got installed.

If what happened is that the Python bindings for a specific Python 3 version are present (and not for Python 2 which is what Terminator uses) then I know where the problem is.

The gi module is being built for Python3 but not Python2. I tried to dig and find out why. I tried forcing PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7" for:

pygobject
pygtk
gobject-introspection

and that didn't solve it. I will be glad to check anything else if you point me in the right direction.

-- Brian
runningnak3d
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shibotto wrote:
I just finished with my laptop and this was the smoothest upgrade so far. Excellent work! :D

Interesting. 3.30 is MUCH smoother for me. 3.28 wasn't bad, but I would get the occasional stutter -- not the case with 3.30.

-- Brian
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runningnak3d wrote:
For some reason the 3.28 version was trying to be rebuilt instead of upgraded and there were (of course) unmet dependencies. Once I unmerged it, the 3.30 version installed fine.

If you need me to, I will downgrade to 3.28 and get your more details. I apologize, my laptop died mid-build and I was stuck finishing on the console so I was not able to grab more details

That's okay as you gave me enough information to work off of.

runningnak3d wrote:
The gi module is being built for Python3 but not Python2. I tried to dig and find out why.

This is why.

I did it that way because there was an issue with the Meson build system that didn't allow the bindings to be installed for every available version of Python so I decided to tackle it later.

This is another thing I'll be working on today.
Shibotto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm starting with the first real problems :twisted:

1)
It seems GNOME is unable to properly set my timezone. Whatever I select, it sets UTC: https://imgur.com/a/5RzICFw
/etc/localtime is set correctly and date command is able to get the timezone right.

2)
dantrell wrote:
[*]Nautilus still can't thumbnail in a sandbox (for details see GNOME bug #792250) so the previous behaviour is still used.

I remember something about this was said once, but I can't remember if some kind of workaround was needed on users end or if you patched it for us (the "previous behavior"?). Fact is now it's not working :lol:
I've been using Nautilus with +vanilla-thumbnailer and I can't generate thumbnails for any supported file.

---

dantrell wrote:
If I did I probably figured it was QEMU.

Another thing to investigate.

runningnak3d wrote:
Interesting. 3.30 is MUCH smoother for me. 3.28 wasn't bad, but I would get the occasional stutter -- not the case with 3.30.

Thank you for your inputs. I'm suspecting the culprit is Nvidia 340 (ancient history), which I'll be stuck with 'til the end of time. I rolled a quick Fedora 29 and nouveau is a lot smoother (don't know if more or less than 3.28 ). That's a bummer, cause Nvidia proprietary is way more power efficient, which is easily the most important thing in a laptop. Eh, whatever :/
I'll try with my desktop, which is stuck with 390 (guess from whom I'll never buy again?), and see if I'm any luckier.
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my build errors:

- media-gfx/gnome-photos-3.30.1::dantrell-gnome-3-30 won't build on my system because it expects gegl-0.4 >= 0.4.0 aparently. I added media-libs/gegl ~amd64 in package.accept_keywords, and emerged gegl to get media-libs/gegl-0.4.8-r1::dantrell-gnome on my system. After that, media-gfx/gnome-photos compiled successfully. Apart from this there were only a few filecollisions that I had to override to get affected packages emerged.

So I am ready to reboot and test this release :lol:
BuBuaBu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shibotto wrote:

1)
It seems GNOME is unable to properly set my timezone. Whatever I select, it sets UTC: https://imgur.com/a/5RzICFw
/etc/localtime is set correctly and date command is able to get the timezone right.

settings the TZ env variable globaly fixed the problem for me.
Code:
echo "TZ=Europe/Paris" >> /etc/environment

It's probably only a workaround to the real problem.
Shibotto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuBuaBu wrote:

Code:
echo "TZ=Europe/Paris" >> /etc/environment

Thank you! A lot of things were written and I missed that it was reported already :D
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shibotto wrote:

This was already reported but more confirmation is nice.

I'm still investigating.

Shibotto wrote:
I remember something about this was said once, but I can't remember if some kind of workaround was needed on users end or if you patched it for us (the "previous behavior"?). Fact is now it's not working :lol:
I've been using Nautilus with +vanilla-thumbnailer and I can't generate thumbnails for any supported file.

That's because it looks like you got it backwards.

Enabling the vanilla-thumbnailer USE flag (or any vanilla* USE flags provided by the project) turns on upstream's behaviour so to get my changes leave the USE flag disabled (which is generally the default).

Elleni wrote:
media-gfx/gnome-photos-3.30.1::dantrell-gnome-3-30 won't build on my system because it expects gegl-0.4 >= 0.4.0 aparently. I added media-libs/gegl ~amd64 in package.accept_keywords, and emerged gegl to get media-libs/gegl-0.4.8-r1::dantrell-gnome on my system. After that, media-gfx/gnome-photos compiled successfully.

I'll be correcting this.

Elleni wrote:
Apart from this there were only a few filecollisions that I had to override to get affected packages emerged.

But please report these when you see them since I can handle them from my end.

BuBuaBu wrote:

It shouldn't be necessary though so I believe upstream changed something unnecessarily.

When I review the code I'll figure out exactly what.
Shibotto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
That's because it looks like you got it backwards.

Enabling the vanilla-thumbnailer USE flag (or any vanilla* USE flags provided by the project) turns on upstream's behaviour so to get my changes leave the USE flag disabled (which is generally the default).

No no, I got it right: +vanilla-thumbnailer original GNOME, -vanilla-thumbnailer ffmpegthumbnailer and the likes. Fact is I always used the original GNOME behavior and it worked fine. To be sure I just finished testing -vanilla-thumbnailer and no thumbnails as well :/

EDIT: Now I remember! Could it be a problem related to the no-sandbox patch in gnome-base/gnome-desktop? (EDIT2: duh, what a genius am I, you even linked the bug report... I think it's time to go to bed for me ^^')

Last edited by Shibotto on Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the missing filecollision report, I will do so from now on.

One issue, I see on my box is that boxes is not starting and dmesg shows:

Code:
gnome-boxes[5830]: segfault at 0 ip 00007f3c6407b48f sp 00007fff3671d130 error 4 in libosinfo-1.0.so.0.1002.0[7f3c6406a000+39000]
[  113.573563] Code: 63 f6 64 48 8b 04 25 28 00 00 00 48 89 44 24 08 31 c0 48 8b 47 18 48 8b 00 48 8b 54 24 08 64 48 33 14 25 28 00 00 00 48 8b 00 <48> 8b 04 f0 75 05 48 83 c4 18 c3 e8 21 cc ff ff 90 48 83 ec 18 64

Edit: I see that also virt-manager does not start with:
Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virt-manager", line 31, in <module>
    import gi
ImportError: No module named gi

May this have something to do with pygobject? If I remember corretly, the update list to gnome 3.30 had a pygobject blocker.
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
saboya wrote:
I did not test this at all yet, since it won't compile without libnm < 1.10 (and I'm still on 3.28 with libnm-1.8).

I'll be correcting this dependency.

Done.

runningnak3d wrote:
runningnak3d wrote:
The gi module is being built for Python3 but not Python2. I tried to dig and find out why.

This is why.

I did it that way because there was an issue with the Meson build system that didn't allow the bindings to be installed for every available version of Python so I decided to tackle it later.

This is another thing I'll be working on today.

Done.

Shibotto wrote:
Elleni wrote:
media-gfx/gnome-photos-3.30.1::dantrell-gnome-3-30 won't build on my system because it expects gegl-0.4 >= 0.4.0 aparently. I added media-libs/gegl ~amd64 in package.accept_keywords, and emerged gegl to get media-libs/gegl-0.4.8-r1::dantrell-gnome on my system. After that, media-gfx/gnome-photos compiled successfully.

I'll be correcting this.

And done.

Shibotto wrote:
I think it's time to go to bed for me ^^'

What is bed? 8O

Elleni wrote:
One issue, I see on my box is that boxes is not starting and dmesg shows [...]

I can't reproduce this. Could it because it needs libosinfo-1 as a run-time dependency?

Edit: Actually it looks like that is already allowed through for stable. Does the output of:

Code:
gnome-boxes --checks

indicate anything?

Elleni wrote:
May this have something to do with pygobject? If I remember corretly, the update list to gnome 3.30 had a pygobject blocker.

I believe it does and it should be corrected now with dev-python/pygobject-3.30.1-r2 so sync up and let me know how it goes.
runningnak3d
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:11 am    Post subject: You are the man! Reply with quote

I synced up, and I now have a fully functional Gnome 3.30 lite.

I throw the fact that it is lite out there because there may be other issues with apps I don't install.

With that said, if anyone is just looking for 3.30 Gnome lite, it is ready.

Well, there is still the TZ issue, but there is a workaround for that.

Thank you very much @dantrell

-- Brian
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
saboya wrote:
I did a little digging and there's no option for that in the meson build file. But I'm stubborn so I attempted to make it optional again. [...]

That's actually what I meant I was going to do. :D

Thanks for confirming it's not actually a hard dependency.

I'll be forward-porting similar patches for CUPS, NetworkMangager, colord and whatever else I'm forgetting.

The following packages are now optional dependencies of GNOME Control Panel:
  • CUPS
  • GNOME Bluetooth
  • GNOME Online Accounts
  • MIT Kerberos V
  • NetworkManager
  • Thunderbolt
  • Wacom
  • colord
Although, now that I think of it, the Sharing panel could be optional too?

Edit: I have made the Sharing panel optional as well.

saboya wrote:
Here's my attempt:

https://gist.github.com/saboya/aad7bfdabee50caa8bc412e25d795f91

Here's mine.

I used yours as a reference so thanks for that. :)

runningnak3d wrote:
I synced up, and I now have a fully functional Gnome 3.30 lite.

Glad to hear it. :D

runningnak3d wrote:
Well, there is still the TZ issue, but there is a workaround for that.

This is next on the list.
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:

Elleni wrote:
One issue, I see on my box is that boxes is not starting and dmesg shows [...]

I can't reproduce this. Could it because it needs libosinfo-1 as a run-time dependency?

Edit: Actually it looks like that is already allowed through for stable. Does the output of:

Code:
gnome-boxes --checks

indicate anything?

It does 8O

Code:
gnome-boxes --checks

(gnome-boxes:4962): Boxes-WARNING **: 06:26:41.814: util-app.vala:250: Failed to execute child process ?restorecon? (No such file or directory)
• The CPU is capable of virtualization: yes
• The KVM module is loaded: no
• Libvirt KVM guest available: yes
• Boxes storage pool available: yes
• The SELinux context is default: no

Report bugs to <http://gitlab.gnome.org/gnome/gnome-boxes/issues>.
Boxes home page: <https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Boxes>

Actually it was like this, if I remember it correctly:
- depclean removed vala, another emerge world -uDNav installed it again, then deplcean did not complain anymore. Preserved-rebuild did not want to install anything..

Elleni wrote:

dantrell wrote:
I believe it does and it should be corrected now with dev-python/pygobject-3.30.1-r2 so sync up and let me know how it goes.

virt-manager starts with no issue now, thank you
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:

The following packages are now optional dependencies of GNOME Control Panel:
  • CUPS
  • GNOME Bluetooth
  • GNOME Online Accounts
  • MIT Kerberos V
  • NetworkManager
  • Thunderbolt
  • Wacom
  • colord
Although, now that I think of it, the Sharing panel could be optional too?

Edit: I have made the Sharing panel optional as well.

Here's mine.

I used yours as a reference so thanks for that. :)

That's awesome :) Just finished emerging everything, all good.

I had a couple warnings on gnome-control-center:
Code:
 * QA Notice: Package triggers severe warnings which indicate that it
 *            may exhibit random runtime failures.
 * ../gnome-control-center-3.30.1/panels/background/bg-pictures-source.c:550:15: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘grl_media_get_title’; did you mean ‘gtk_menu_get_title’? [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
 * ../gnome-control-center-3.30.1/panels/background/bg-pictures-source.c:553:23: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘grl_media_get_thumbnail’; did you mean ‘gnome_bg_create_thumbnail’? [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]

Not sure if those actually break anything, but I tested the background panel and had no issues.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 5 of 16

Jump to: