Xen Gentoo Dom0 does not boot after kernel upgrade
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
username63n
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Xen Gentoo Dom0 does not boot after kernel upgrade Reply with quote

I have strange issue with Xen.

Unfortunately I cannot deliver the details of the system because of a ssd failure. However when I installed gentoo all over again to my new ssd, the same issue appeared. So it is not necessary related to kernel upgrade but a general software incompatibilities in my system. The problem is following: There is two boot entries in my grub: normal gentoo and gentoo under xen. My system boots perfectly without xen but get stuck with it. There is no error messages what so ever and the system stays responsive (i can scroll up and down in the terminal). Only warnings / errors are related to acpi and when using acpi=off there is absolutely no errors / warnings. The boot process just does not continue ( Tried to wait over an hour )

/ and /home partitions are lvm volumes in luks container. /boot is in the same device. in addition there is hard drive for /var and /usr/portage. /tmp is on tmpfs

The boot process continues normally to the last point: rodata_tests: all tests were successful and hangs. This is before luks container is decrypted (or the password is asked).

I tried different use flags and grub platforms but nothing seems to work.

UEFI is not used
    ssd has MBR partition table
    no-xen kernel parameters: root=/dev/mapper/vgroup-root ro dolvm crypt_root=/dev/nvme0n1p2 root_trim=yes
    xen kernel parameters: placeholder root=/dev/mapper/vgroup-root ro dolvm crypt_root=/dev/nvme0n1p2 root_trim=yes softlevel=xen iommu=1 xen-picback.passthrough=1 xen-pciback.hide=(01:00.0)(01:00.1)
    kernel is manually compiled and installed
    initramfs is generated and installed with genkernel: genkernel --luks --lvm --install initramfs
    System is stable, but gentoo-sources, xen and xen-tools are unstable (~ keyword)

I could not install xen normally due this issue https://bugs.gentoo.org/602052 However fetching the ebuild manually and applying this patch https://602052.bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=455684 did the trick. note: the last system did work perfectly before the kernel upgrade with manually patched xen so this probably does not have anything to do with the current problem.

I tried different use flags for grub, xen and xen-tools. Nothing worked. Could someone check them?

Here is the boot sequence of normal boot and boot with xen:

Any ideas?

Code:
Linux 4.16.7-gentoocustom-i7 #1 SMP Sat May 5 13:04:54 EEST 2018 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Code:
cat /etc/fstab
#encrypted, nvme
/dev/mapper/vgroup-root                                 /               ext4            defaults,relatime               0       1
/dev/mapper/vgroup-home                                 /home           ext4            relatime                        0       2

#nonencrypted, hdd
UUID=4e83594b-d254-4a39-a0ef-52ccc33a3b90               /var            ext4            defaults                        0       2
UUID=410e9e54-4b26-4755-8ffc-5775c5f953f8               /usr/portage    ext4            defaults                        0       1

#nonencrypted, nvme
/dev/nvme0n1p1                                          /boot           vfat            defaults,noauto                 0       2

#tmpfs on ddr4
tmpfs                                                   /tmp            tmpfs           size=6G,noatime                 0       0

Code:
 * Found these USE flags for app-emulation/xen-tools-4.10.0:
 U I
 - - api                      : Build the C libxenapi bindings
 - - custom-cflags            : Build with user-specified CFLAGS (unsupported)
 - - debug                    : Enable extra debug codepaths, like asserts and extra output. If you want to get meaningful backtraces see
                                https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Quality_Assurance/Backtraces
 - - doc                      : Add extra documentation (API, Javadoc, etc). It is recommended to enable per package instead of globally
 - - flask                    : Enable the Flask XSM module from NSA
 + + hvm                      : Enable support for hardware based virtualization (VT-x,AMD-v)
 - - ocaml                    : Enable support for the ocaml language
 + + ovmf                     : Enable support to boot UEFI guest vm, needed by hvm
 + + pam                      : Enable pam support
 + + pygrub                   : Install the pygrub boot loader
 + + python                   : Add optional support/bindings for the Python language
 + + python_targets_python2_7 : Build with Python 2.7
 + + qemu                     : Enable IOEMU support via the use of qemu-dm
 + + qemu-traditional         : Build the old qemu traditional device model (useful only if you cannot change to the new device model e.g. Windows VMs)
 + + screen                   : Enable support for running domain U console in an app-misc/screen session
 + + sdl                      : Add support for Simple Direct Layer (media library)
 - - static-libs              : Build static versions of dynamic libraries as well
 - - system-qemu              : Using app-emulation/qemu instead of the bundled one
 - - system-seabios           : Using sys-firmware/seabios instead of the bundled one

Code:
 * Found these USE flags for app-emulation/xen-4.10.0:
 U I
 - - custom-cflags : Build with user-specified CFLAGS (unsupported)
 - - debug         : Enable extra debug codepaths, like asserts and extra output. If you want to get meaningful backtraces see
 - + efi           : Adds efi boot support, requires LDFLAG -melf_x86_64 for amd64
 - - flask         : Enable the Flask XSM module from NSA

Code:

* Found these USE flags for sys-boot/grub-2.02-r1:
 U I
 - - debug                    : Enable extra debug codepaths, like asserts and extra output. If you want to get meaningful backtraces see
 + + device-mapper            : Enable support for device-mapper from sys-fs/lvm2
 - - doc                      : Add extra documentation (API, Javadoc, etc). It is recommended to enable per package instead of globally
 + + efiemu                   : Build and install the efiemu runtimes
 - - fonts                    : Build and install fonts for the gfxterm module
 - - grub_platforms_coreboot  : Coreboot platform support
 - - grub_platforms_efi-32    : EFI 32 bit platform support (Old MACs)
 - - grub_platforms_efi-64    : EFI 64 bit platform support
 + + grub_platforms_emu       : Emulation platform support
 - - grub_platforms_ieee1275  : IEEE1275 platform support
 - - grub_platforms_loongson  : MIPS loongson platform support
 + + grub_platforms_multiboot : Multiboot platform support
 + + grub_platforms_pc        : PC platform support
 - - grub_platforms_qemu      : QEMU platform support
 - - grub_platforms_qemu-mips : QEMU MIPS platform support
 - - grub_platforms_uboot     : U-Boot platform support
 + + grub_platforms_xen       : XEN (pvgrub2) platform support
 + + grub_platforms_xen-32    : Build 32-bit XEN (pvgrub2) platform support on amd64
 - - libzfs                   : Enable support for sys-fs/zfs
 - - mount                    : Build and install the grub-mount utility
 - - multislot                : Allow concurrent installation of sys-boot/grub SLOT 0 and sys-boot/grub SLOT 2 by renaming all programs.
 - - nls                      : Add Native Language Support (using gettext - GNU locale utilities)
 - - sdl                      : Add support for Simple Direct Layer (media library)
 - - static                   : !!do not set this during bootstrap!! Causes binaries to be statically linked instead of dynamically
 - - themes                   : Build and install GRUB themes (starfield)
 + + truetype                 : Build and install grub-mkfont conversion utility

Last edited by username63n on Wed May 23, 2018 9:27 am; edited 2 times in total
username63n
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all it really was an kernel upgrade issue.
Xen now boots normally after removing ~ keyword for sys-kernel/gentoo sources.

(kernel was downgraded from 4.16.7 to 4.9.95)

If someone knows anything (bug reports, known issues) related to this, it would be appreciated.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: