[solved] Unknown Charset in the jDownloader Download Dir
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gladdle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: [solved] Unknown Charset in the jDownloader Download Dir Reply with quote

I am using jDownloader on my Banana Pi Server. Sometimes i download a file with a unknown charset and that caused a few problems. For a example, i use it to download a music video on youtube with the france "e". With Samba the "e" is shown as a "?" and i cant open / copy / edit the file. If i open a ssh session, and say "ls -lha1" there is also a "?" for the "e" and i can edit / rename the file if i use the [Tab] Key. I have also read the Gentoo Localization/Guide. In my "/etc/locale.gen" are 3 languages enabled:
Code:
de_DE ISO-8859-1
de_DE@euro ISO-8859-15
en_US ISO-8859-1
en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
ja_JP.EUC-JP EUC-JP
ja_JP.UTF-8 UTF-8
ja_JP EUC-JP

Is it possible to show all charsets in Samba and the ssh? I have googled a lot, but i only found solutions for a specific language. I have the same problem with chinese and korean charsets. And maybe i use the wrong words for searching. Maybe it's a failure with unicode / ISO in jDownloader and he saves in the wrong format? How can i see that?

EDIT: The File System is ext3 on a USB Stick.

Last edited by Gladdle on Wed May 16, 2018 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gladdle ...

but what does 'locale' show? I suspect that you have 'de_DE ISO-*' which are not UTF-8 locales ... if you're german then you probably want 'de_DE.UTF-8 UTF-8'.

best ... khay
Gladdle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you are right, there was a ISO locale. I have changed the locales, here is the (new) Output from "locale" (After the Reboot):
Code:
LANG=de_DE.utf8
LC_CTYPE="de_DE.utf8"
LC_NUMERIC="de_DE.utf8"
LC_TIME="de_DE.utf8"
LC_COLLATE="de_DE.utf8"
LC_MONETARY="de_DE.utf8"
LC_MESSAGES="de_DE.utf8"
LC_PAPER="de_DE.utf8"
LC_NAME="de_DE.utf8"
LC_ADDRESS="de_DE.utf8"
LC_TELEPHONE="de_DE.utf8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="de_DE.utf8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="de_DE.utf8"
LC_ALL=

But the Files still have a "?" in it (in the ssh and the samba), what can i do now?
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gladdle wrote:
But the Files still have a "?" in it (in the ssh and the samba), what can i do now?

Gladdle ... I assume the old locale was iso-8859-15. You can convert using app-text/convmv ... the following is a dry run ...

Code:
% convmv -f iso-8859-15 -t utf-8 -r /path/to/files/

... add '--notest' to have convmv perform the operation.

best ... khay
Gladdle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much, it works! If i download new files, they have the correct Filename! I only have make a # in the file "/etc/locale.gen", so i know, it was "de_DE@euro ISO-8859-15". With "convmv" i have restored 2 folders, but 6 folders still have the "?" Symbols (in ssh and samba). Is it possible to identify the charset? I didn't find any information on google.

Still another information for people who are using google or the forum search:
If you access ssh with putty, you have to set the charset here, too.
- On a current running session klick on the program icon (top left) and go to "Change settings" => "Window" => "Translation" => "Remote Character Set" => UTF-8
- To save the setting "UTF-8" as a default option:
=> Start putty, go to "Translation" (Section "Window") => "Remote Character Set" => set "UTF-8"
=> Now go to "Session", mark "Default Settings" and klick on the "Save" Button
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gladdle wrote:
Thank you so much, it works! If i download new files, they have the correct Filename! I only have make a # in the file "/etc/locale.gen", so i know, it was "de_DE@euro ISO-8859-15". With "convmv" i have restored 2 folders, but 6 folders still have the "?" Symbols (in ssh and samba). Is it possible to identify the charset? I didn't find any information on google.

Gladdle ... you're welcome. Those files would have been created with the very same encoding, so I'm not sure what would cause them to be different to those that were converted correctly, did you perhaps omit the '--notest'? As for detecting what encoding is used, I'm not sure, I'd expect dev-python/chardet to be able to do this but 'chardetect' functions pretty much like 'file -i' and only reveals the file encoding, not the filename encoding. I made a quick search but all I could find was this ... but the examples don't seem to provide the kind of output that would help you.

best ... khay
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: