[solved] Handbook install stuck @ wpa_supplicant emerge
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NivekOgre
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: [solved] Handbook install stuck @ wpa_supplicant emerge Reply with quote

Hi @everybody!

Im OCD as f**k, and if it´s not finish compiling without any errors, it´s not worth it to keep it, and i have to nuke & pave or else it hurts so much inside my head, i´m guilty. This is my third attempt. Im aiming a minimal console installation with a minimal xfce4 install without login display managers. (Also got my custom kernel .config - tested and working - so im kinda just half dumb - i came from debian)

Im doing everything by the book, except im running the bootstrap script before compiling the kernel (and it finishes fine), this is while still installing by the handbook, just after the `Filesystem tools´ and ´dhcpcd´ emerge.

Code:
# emerge --ask --verbose wpa_supplicant

Code:

WARNING: One or more updates/rebuilds have been skipped due to a dependency conflict:

dev-libs/openssl:0

(dev-libs/openssl-1.0.2o-r1:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) conflicts with
      >=dev-libs/openssl-1.0.1:0=[bindist] required by (net-misc/openssh-7.7_p1-r2:0/0::gentoo, installed)
      >=dev-libs/openssl-1.0.1:0/0=[bindist] required by (net-misc/openssh-7.7_p1-r2:0/0::gentoo, installed)

The following USE changes are necessary to proceed:

# required by dev-python/m2crypto-0.27.0-r1::gentoo[-libressl]
# required by net-wireless/crda-3.18-r1::gentoo
# required by net-wireless/wpa_supplicant-2.6-r6::gentoo
# required by net-wireless/wpa_supplicant (argument)
=dev-libs/openssl-1.0.2o -bindist

Last time i tried i could finish it successfully after
Code:
# USE=-ssl emerge --ask --verbose wpa_supplicant
since it was failing the compile with some missing openssl libraries and it worked, but now the message is a little, well, i have no proper knowledge to solve it, and it´s another `error`.

So please, somebody, shoot me in the head. Thank you very much. :twisted:

Last edited by NivekOgre on Tue May 22, 2018 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove bindist from make.conf and run
Code:
# emerge -UD @world

bindist use flag is only required if you redistribute certain binary
NivekOgre
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oi @fedeliallalinea!

im still getting around USE flags and it was kept from the livedvd, yes, sorrey.

REMOVING that one, any of those will cause me any trouble? Im using the 17 desktop profile, but started at the stage3 default profile:

USE=`-bluetooth -gnome -kde -qt4 -systemd alsa mmx sse sse2`
CFLAGS=´-march=k8 -O2 -pipe -msse3´

aiming for a slimmed minimal xfce install.

alsa cards, video cards and input devices fine. 64 multlib.

Thank you for your time.
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stage 3 has some packages compiled that require, for legally matters, bindist use flag.
Removing that use flag causes no trouble, keep it can cause some conflicts
bghoons
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:49 am    Post subject: wpa_supplicant openssl collision Reply with quote

This solution worked for me:

1) create a file with the name bindist in /etc/portage/package.use/
example: sudo touch /etc/portage/package.use/bindist

2) add these two entries in the bindist file:
Code:
                        dev-libs/openssl -bindist
                        net-misc/openssh -bindist

Alternately, you could echo those two entries into the bindist file rather than touch the file, or you could create it with an editor --there is more than one way to skin a cat

Your /etc/portage/package.use/bindist file should look like this:

Code:
dev-libs/openssl -bindist
net-misc/openssh -bindist

You can then keep the bindist USE flag in /etc/portage/make.conf
Some packages, like Firefox, give a message about license and distribution if you try to compile without bindist

This is the error I received:

Quote:
You are enabling official branding. You may not redistribute this build to any users on your network or the internet. Doing so puts yourself into a legal problem with Mozilla Foundation

There may be a Mozilla Mafia who will come and bust your kneecaps but I have not confirmed this.

[Moderator edit: added [code] tags to preserve output layout. -Hu]
Hu

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: wpa_supplicant openssl collision Reply with quote

bghoons wrote:
You can then keep the bindist USE flag in /etc/portage/make.conf
You can, but you should not. There are numerous forum threads where people had problems due to setting +bindist on some packages and -bindist on others. Various packages built with -bindist may require that their supporting libraries also be built -bindist. Suggesting that openssl/openssh be -bindist is a good start, but in my opinion, if you are in a position to set -bindist at all, it should be set globally. If you are not in a position to set -bindist globally, you will get minimum trouble by setting +bindist globally.
bghoons
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you should not (set bindist globally). There are numerous forum threads where people had problems due to setting +bindist on some packages and -bindist on others

I was one of those people who had problems :( The bolded items below are what the original poster of this thread had issues with, as did I.

But I have to ask, if you should not set bindist globally in make.conf then why does Gentoo have it set as global by default in the installation process?

Anyway, it does not seem to be a big deal except for name branding. There are not many packages that use it (from the wiki):

dev-libs/gf2x.....................Disable automatic fine-tuning to local processor features like pclmul or sse2.
net-misc/openssh............Disable EC/RC5 algorithms in OpenSSL for patent reasons.
dev-libs/openssl ..............Disable/Restrict EC algorithms (as they seem to be patented) -- note: changes the ABI
dev-qt/qtnetwork.................Disable EC support via dev-libs/openssl
mail-client/thunderbird...........Disable official Thunderbird branding (icons, name) which are not binary-redistributable according to upstream.
media-libs/freetype...............Disable ClearType support (see http://freetype.org/patents.html)
media-libs/mesa..................Disable patent-encumbered ARB_texture_float, EXT_texture_shared_exponent, and EXT_packed_float extensions.
net-libs/liboauth....................Alias for the nss USE flag, since there are license compliancy trouble when using OpenSSL.
www-client/firefox.................Disable official Firefox branding (icons, name) which are not binary-redistributable according to upstream.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bghoons wrote:
But I have to ask, if you should not set bindist globally in make.conf then why does Gentoo have it set as global by default in the installation process?

It might be set in the example make.conf provided, i agree that's not the best example, but it's an example, not something anyone should use as-is, the provided fstab is also an example.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bghoons wrote:

bghoons ... because the stage3 (which includes binaries) is distributed by gentoo, and so it has to be set to allow that distribution.

best ... khay
bghoons
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the stage3 (which includes binaries) is distributed by gentoo, and so it has to be set to allow that distribution.

Thanks, I understand now. I'm still just a n00b, a grasshopper who has not yet walked across all the rice paper without tearing it with my feet. (Kung Fu TV Series reference)

Maybe one day I'll lift the big burning kettle with my forearms and have a "G" branded on each of them.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bghoons,

The stage3 has to be legal to distribute. Hence its made with USE=bindist.

Until recently, the make.conf distributed with the stage3 included USE=bindist because it was the make.conf used for buiding the stage3. This caused problems for a lot of users.

For new stage3 tarballs there is an extra step. USE=bindist is removed from make.cont after the stage3 software has been built.

Users wanting to distribute binaries need to take care that USE=bindist is set properly on the packages that they wish to distribute.
That's not changed. Its always been up to the distributor to comply with patent and other restrictions.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Hu

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bghoons wrote:
Others have addressed why the default image sets this. I want to address a potential ambiguity regarding "should [not] be set". Due to its impact, USE=bindist or USE=-bindist should always be managed globally in make.conf. Whether to enable or disable it depends on user circumstances described by other posters, but whichever setting the user needs, that setting should be applied globally.
bghoons
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
bghoons wrote:
Others have addressed why the default image sets this. I want to address a potential ambiguity regarding "should [not] be set". Due to its impact, USE=bindist or USE=-bindist should always be managed globally in make.conf. Whether to enable or disable it depends on user circumstances described by other posters, but whichever setting the user needs, that setting should be applied globally.

Thanks for the clarification.

As a Gentoo user (a happy one at that) I have decided to have +bindist to be global in make.conf because I like the Gentoo branding and icons in LibreOffice and FireFox (Aurora) as well as perhaps other applications. It makes my laptop seem more "Gentoo-ey"

Purple is one of my favorite colors but If Gentoo had gone with bright orange as its color I would probably go with "-bindist" to get rid of the branding.

I know that sounds kind of stupid, to like a distro based on its color scheme, but I will not deny it was a factor in my choosing it. In the past, the reason I chose OpenBSD over FreeBSD is because I liked the OpenBSD puffer fish mascot more than I did the FreeBSD devil mascot which I did not like at all. Silly, I know, but it is the truth.
NivekOgre
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@fedeliallalinea solution all the way, just came here to say what you already know, you was right. just took some time cause you know me, i have started all over again, i think a more responsible approach is to have -flags globally and then set flags per package as suggested but DONT set nothing undesired at first place. god i took some time to understand that.

I dont know why i kept it while installing, lazy maybe. the only flag im keeping globally? USE=offensive :twisted:

how to mark it solved. In the end it wasnt wpa_supplicant.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: