Multi-channel sound + rear out for cs46xx chipset soundcards
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dolio
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 2:46 am    Post subject: Multi-channel sound + rear out for cs46xx chipset soundcards Reply with quote

<NEW>
I found out that the recent (past couple days) ALSA snapshots happen to do other interesting things with the cs46xx chipset, like enabling rear output (on the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz at least, if not on other chipsets). So, here's a quick guide on how to get it working for you (hopefully):

Make a directory to put the cvs sourcecode. Like ~/alsa-cvs (I'll assume you're using that in this guide). Go to that directory.

Now you need a copy of the cvs code. You can go about this in two ways, which I won't describe here, since they're already on the alsa website. Here's A link to the download page. Make sure you either get the stuff direct from cvs or get a snapshot after August 2nd (I synced with cvs on August 6th, so I know that works).

Update: I learned how to enable the new dsp stuff without editing the actual source files.

Now you need to edit a file. Open the ~/alsa-cvs/alsa-driver/pci/cs46xx/Makefile file, and uncomment the lines under
Quote:
# Hack for new dsp flag
This will enable the fun stuff.

Now, with that done, back out to the ~/alsa-cvs/ directory, and run make as root (because it installs all the modules and stuff. There is no make install target in the Makefile. Don't ask me why).

Hopefully, the compile went off without a hitch. Now, run the following (as root):
Code:

/etc/init.d/alsasound stop
update-modules
/etc/init.d/alsasound start

If you get errors about unresolved symbols, one of the above CONFIG_SND_CS46XX_NEW_DSP steps was done wrong. When you start alsa again, you should get warnings about name mismatches in alsactl. Now, go into alsamixer and unmute the rear channels (they have the same names as the front channels with a '1' appended). and you should be able to hear sound in 4 channels now (as far as I can tell, the rear channels just mirror the front channels, but the devel mailing list has something about rectifying this that apparently hasn't been implemented yet).

Also, you should be able to play audio from multiple sources (30 or 31) now (I can play Quake and listen to music now, I'm happy).

Note: On the alsa-devel archives, people with the Terratec Xfire card have reported problems recording after using this code (that was two days ago) and I'm not sure if it's been fixed yet, so you may not want to use this if you have that card.

P.S: This is also supposed to enable SPDIF output on this card (I believe), but I don't have anything that uses SPDIF, so I haven't tested it. Might be interesting to hear if it works if someone cares to test it.

Cheers.
</NEW>
<OLD>
I was looking around at the ALSA devel mailing list today and I noticed the following posts:

http://www.mail-archive.com/alsa-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg03804.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/alsa-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg03808.html

Multichannel (up to 31, supposedly) support for cs46xx (i.e. You can play music and play games without using a sound mixing daemon, like EsounD or aRts).

What I did, was go to the first link there, grap the tarball, unzip it, and then went to the second post and applied the patch manually (I'm not really use how to use diffs. Another thing to learn, I guess :)). Then,

Code:

./configure
make
make install
/etc/init.d/alsasound stop
depmod
update-modules
/etc/init.d/alsasound start

And I was hapily playing Quake 3 and listening to xmms, with all of the squishing and explosions I could have dreamed of.

:)

Cheers.
</OLD>
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 3:49 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

I've been trying to find out if this was possible for weeks :) My old Vortex 2 card can do it, and it was really annoying me.
andreasw
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe it :). Mulit Channel + Digital Optical out, thank you very much for that post, I already wanted to install windows for recording mp3s to my md v
ia optical out :)

PS: I use a Terratec DMX Xfire 1024 and till now all works fine

mfg

Andy
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 8:08 pm    Post subject: Hmm Reply with quote

I've got the latest CVS snapshot installed at the moment, but I've tried two older ones and had the same problem both times. While the sound(s) are playing everything is fine, but when XMMS starts a new song, or I load a new file in MPlayer, everything freezes for a second or so, then it starts playing. Anyone know why?
Dolio
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm still using the August 6th snapshot that I made myself, as in my first post, and I don't have the problem you specified currently.

However, I did install 1.4 (with gcc 3.2), and I do recall getting what you specified (a little freeze, as if lots of cpu power were being used) with that, using the exact same source (I shared my home directory where I keep the code), and I don't really have any explanation for that.

Are you using 2.95 or 3.x? If you're using 3.x, that might be it (I don't know why). If not, then maybe you should recompile (or reboot! That always works!). :)
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using 1.2 with gcc 2.95. I'll try the same snapshot you're using and see if that helps.
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd say that the new rc 4 drivers that have been added to portage seem to enable the new DSP settings by default, so you don't need to edit the makefile anymore.
raid517
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I know this is a long shot, but does anybody know how to do this on via82xx based chips? All I want to do is enable digital SPDIF out (optical or coaxil is fine). I have a Via 8233 based chip. This is a very common chip used on many boards - and I do know digital out was well supported with alsa in Redhat 9.0, so any advice anyone can offer on getting digital out sound wiorking on this card would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Q
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: