View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Bare bones EFI boot setup Reply with quote

venquessa wrote:
So I have long been holding out with MBR but a new system with Windows 10 installed kind of forces my hand to boot Linux from GPT/EFI.

I have found rEFInd and managed to get as far as it's boot screen booting windows.

I tried creating the refind_linux.cfg with PARTUUIDs and kernel parameters, but the boot screen doesn't list these.

Does that computer provide its own boot menu? If so, there is no need for grub, refind or the likes. Maybe not even for efibootmgr.
venquessa2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it turned out to be the EFI Framebuffer device support was not enabled.

The kernel was booting fine and in fact the whole system was booting correctly I just couldn't see it.

Is this FB_EFI? It seemed to fix my issue, but maybe there is a better option. I'll try a few other FB options to see as I'm having issues with other things including GPM support in the console.
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this could help?
OldTango
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

venquessa2 wrote:
So it turned out to be the EFI Framebuffer device support was not enabled.

The kernel was booting fine and in fact the whole system was booting correctly I just couldn't see it.

Is this FB_EFI? It seemed to fix my issue, but maybe there is a better option. I'll try a few other FB options to see as I'm having issues with other things including GPM support in the console.
If the FB_EFI solves your blank boot screen then stick with it. The only two framebuffers I have used when booting in EFI mode are FB_EFI and simple frame buffer. Which one I use depends on the kernel, the graphics card drivers I plan on using and UEFI firmware.

As for GPM have a look at the Wiki. You should find everything you need there.
jeff-g
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Bare bones EFI boot setup Reply with quote

[quote="OldTango"][quote="DONAHUE"]@ OldTango
"...You are absolutely correct on all points, but it's that complexity and the never ending documentation out there, some excellent, some down right difficult and confusing to understand, that make it more difficult than it really needs to be for new comers. Along with the fact that not all EFI firmware are created equally."

Could have said it better meself - maybe there is hope in the wasteland.

Forgive me for replying 2 weeks later, Old Tango, but I wanted to give you kudos for your way with words.
I also have a hard time with web based forums, being an old nntp user myself, so I am just stumbling into this place for the first time (after around 2-3 days of searching that never ending documentation. Looks like this may be a good place to start.
bammbamm808
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:
bammbamm808 wrote:
Sorry for.not rereading the entire thread, but have you tried using only FB_EFI?

I've been using a new laptop with AMD A9-9420 processor and Windows 10 as a pre-installed virus. FB_EFI was useless. To quote the kernel documentation:
Quote:
This is a generic EFI platform driver for Intel based Apple computers.
efifb is only for EFI booted Intel Macs.

Useless except for folks like the venquessa and myself, for whom it works, documentation not withstanding. I tried everything else and that is what got me up and running. EFI implementations seem to vary quite a bit from board to board and I doubt that the two lines of kernel help lavished on the driver can, or were intended to cover all the possible outcomes.
Geforce RTX 2070S 8GB
Samsung m.2 NVME pcie-3.0
Etc....
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: