[SOLVED] Error while watching videos on Prime Video
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alogim
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Error while watching videos on Prime Video Reply with quote

I have the following programs:

• www-client/firefox version 59.0.2
  • www-client/chromium version 66.0.3359.139

My GPU is a Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 and my monitor is a Dell SE2717H.

Whenever I try to watch a video on Prime Video with Firefox, I get the following message:
Code:
Your web browser is missing a digital rights component.

In your web browser's address bar, type about:addons, press Enter, and then on the left, click Plugins. For the Widevine Content Decryption Module, select Always Activate, and then refresh the video's page and try watching the video.

If the video doesn't play, go back to Plugins, click the gear icon at the top of the page, and then click Check for Updates. When the plugins have updated, refresh the video's page, and then try watching the video.

Firefox dropped support to external video plugins (if I am correct), so there is no such an option under Plugins.

Whenever I try to watch a video on Prime Video with Chromium, I get the following message:
Code:
Protected Content Error
To watch protected content, in the top right of Chrome, click the three dots icon, and then tap Settings > Site settings > Protected content. Under Blocked, tap Amazon.com > Clear and Reset. Refresh or reload the video's detail page, and then tap Watch Now.

So, first thing there is no such thing as Site Settings where they say there should be. I managed to find it under the green lock symbol, however under Site Settings there is no such an option called "Protected content".

What should I do?

Last edited by alogim on Sat May 05, 2018 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In firefox on settings you tried enable 'Play DRM Content"?
alogim
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the quick answer. That option was not even visible. I had to go inside about:config and set browser.eme.ui.enabled to true. That does not solved the issue though.

I tried downloading the latest stable version of www-client/firefox-bin: there, I disabled and enabled Play DRM Content and everything works perfectly, in fact in about:plugins I can see the Widevine Content Decryption Module listed. It started to update itself as soon as I re-enabled Play DRM Content.

So, the problems seems related to the non-binary version of Firefox: there, no such module is listed. I also tried enabling and disabling Play DRM Content, but no avail. I also checked the USE flags used during the build:
Code:

dbus gmp-autoupdate pulseaudio screenshot startup-notification -bindist -custom-cflags -custom-optimization -debug -eme-free -hardened -hwaccel -jack (-neon) (-selinux) -system-harfbuzz -system-icu -system-jpeg -system-libevent -system-libvpx -system-sqlite {-test} -wifi

Last edited by alogim on Thu May 03, 2018 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my firefox-59.0.2 the option is visible in Settings and when I try to play a video with drm a message appear with a button for enable drm (like this image).
My use flags
Code:
USE="dbus gmp-autoupdate hwaccel kde nsplugin pulseaudio screenshot startup-notification system-harfbuzz system-jpeg system-libevent system-libvpx system-sqlite -bindist -custom-cflags -custom-optimization -debug -eme-free -hardened -jack (-neon) (-selinux) -system-icu {-test} -wifi" L10N="de fr it -ach -af -an -ar -as -ast -az -bg -bn-BD -bn-IN -br -bs -ca -cak -cs -cy -da -dsb -el -en-GB -en-ZA -eo -es-AR -es-CL -es-ES -es-MX -et -eu -fa -ff -fi -fy -ga -gd -gl -gn -gu -he -hi -hr -hsb -hu -hy -id -is -ja -ka -kab -kk -km -kn -ko -lij -lt -lv -mai -mk -ml -mr -ms -nb -nl -nn -or -pa -pl -pt-BR -pt-PT -rm -ro -ru -si -sk -sl -son -sq -sr -sv -ta -te -th -tr -uk -uz -vi -xh -zh-CN -zh-TW"

EDIT: yes I use www-client/firefox-kde-opensuse not in official portage tree but the ebuild is the same with some patches for kde integration
alogim
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I got that message only on the binary version of firefox, when I disabled Play DRM Content. If I try and disable it on the non-binary version, no message appears.

EDIT: I tried several times and finally the message was shown. However, under Plugins, only OpenH264 Video Codec provided by Cisco Systems, Inc. 1.7.1 is present. The Widevine Content Decryption Module is not listed at all.
Hu

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: Error while watching videos on Prime Video Reply with quote

alogim wrote:
What should I do?
Contact the provider and ask them to fix the settings on their video. They chose to serve a Digital Restrictions Management-encumbered video (sometimes misspelled "Digital Rights Management" by doublethink groups that think "copy protection" is the right name for a system that prevents copying) when open formats are widely supported. Let the provider deal with getting it to work properly.
Josef.95
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Error while watching videos on Prime Video Reply with quote

Hm I'm not sure, but the first firefox-59.0.2.ebuild has a Bug 654072
This Bug is already fixed, without a revision bump.
Please try a fresh `emerge --sync` and then a firefox rebuild.
alogim
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
Contact the provider and ask them to fix the settings on their video. They chose to serve a Digital Restrictions Management-encumbered video (sometimes misspelled "Digital Rights Management" by doublethink groups that think "copy protection" is the right name for a system that prevents copying) when open formats are widely supported. Let the provider deal with getting it to work properly.

Well, it is certainly not a good practice, however, as I explained, this problem only occurs on the non-binary version of Firefox/Chromium. The binary version of Firefox in fact allows me watching any movie/tv series on Prime Video.

Josef.95 wrote:

I will try that as soon as possible.
alogim
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Error while watching videos on Prime Video Reply with quote

Josef.95 wrote:

That fixed the issue. Thank you very much! :) :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: