View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18, 19, 20  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you okay paying extra for iPhone now?

Oh right, carrier subsidies...
richk449
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
richk449 wrote:
Old School wrote:
sugar wrote:
All the Major Retailers That Say They’ll Have to Raise Prices Because of New Tariffs on China

Fantastic! Only commies like you and big industrialists like artificial prices on goods and services.

Artificial? You can argue whichever way you like about the merits of trade policy, but generally the more the government interferes in the free market (i.e. by erecting trade barriers), the more "artificial" the price is considered.

I would wager that the moment the Chinese and Europeans dropped THEIR large tariffs on US goods, the US would drop their much lower tariffs. The US is not the bad guy here. Even with all their protestations, the above mentioned trading partners have much more regressive trade policies than the US.

What does that have to do with what I wrote?
sugar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
richk449 wrote:
Old School wrote:
sugar wrote:
All the Major Retailers That Say They’ll Have to Raise Prices Because of New Tariffs on China

Fantastic! Only commies like you and big industrialists like artificial prices on goods and services.

Artificial? You can argue whichever way you like about the merits of trade policy, but generally the more the government interferes in the free market (i.e. by erecting trade barriers), the more "artificial" the price is considered.

I would wager that the moment the Chinese and Europeans dropped THEIR large tariffs on US goods, the US would drop their much lower tariffs. The US is not the bad guy here. Even with all their protestations, the above mentioned trading partners have much more regressive trade policies than the US.

*facepalm*
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sugar wrote:
Old School wrote:
richk449 wrote:
Old School wrote:
sugar wrote:

*facepalm*
Hey commie, are you denying that the EU and China have higher tariffs on US goods than the other way around? :lol:
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
Old School wrote:
richk449 wrote:
Old School wrote:
sugar wrote:

What does that have to do with what I wrote?
And who has the largest trade barriers? The US or China and the EU?
richk449
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:

Feeling a bit insecure?
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
Old School wrote:

Feeling a bit insecure?
I've never needed anymore.

But you are ignoring the point. :wink: Would you be happy if the US just applied the same percentages for the same products? We could raise the rate for automotive parts from China by 10%.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you hear the one where world leaders laughed at Trump at the UN?

No?

Here look: https://youtu.be/RysHaASZs80
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And why should I care the opinion of those that continue to push their authoritarian order, and are the problem, not the solution?
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't but Trump did. He campaigned on the premise that the US president is the laughing stock of the world, when Obama was in power.

The same exact standards are being applied to Trump. This time with proof.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
And why should I care the opinion of those that continue to push their authoritarian order, and are the problem, not the solution?
You are right, why should you care about the Trumpsters opinion? Doesn't make sense...
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:
Old School wrote:
You are right, why should you care about the Trumpsters opinion? Doesn't make sense...
Yep. Just bury your head in the sand a little deeper.
richk449
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
richk449 wrote:
Old School wrote:

Feeling a bit insecure?

But you are ignoring the point. :wink: Would you be happy if the US just applied the same percentages for the same products? We could raise the rate for automotive parts from China by 10%.

No, I'll be happy when there are no tariffs, not more tariffs.

Are you saying that you want prices to be more artificial and more based on government interference in markets?
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
Old School wrote:
richk449 wrote:
Old School wrote:

Feeling a bit insecure?

No, I'll be happy when there are no tariffs, not more tariffs.

Are you saying that you want prices to be more artificial and more based on government interference in markets?

Not at all, but the US should apply equal treatment to any country that does erect trade barriers on US goods. Mexico has renegotiated and Canada is close. If China wants to continue to charge a 25% tariff on US auto parts, then the US should take reciprocal action.

I want free trade and fair trade. But if it ain't free then it's gonna be fair.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
Old School wrote:
sugar wrote:

This is correct, but it makes you "FAR RIGHT WING".
How can you vote democrat, if you understand reality to this degree?
Hashtag doesn't make fucking sense.
richk449
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
richk449 wrote:
Old School wrote:
sugar wrote:

This is correct, but it makes you "FAR RIGHT WING".
How can you vote democrat, if you understand reality to this degree?
Hashtag doesn't make fucking sense.

I guess that depends on whether you are referring to rhetoric or practical implementation. At least in my lifetime, there has been one US political party that has talked about free markets, balanced budgets, and limiting foreign engagements, and a different party that has actually been successful in providing those outcomes.
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What party has been successful about free markets, balanced budgets, and limiting foreign engagements?

I can't think of one.
richk449
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
What party has been successful about free markets, balanced budgets, and limiting foreign engagements?

I can't think of one.

Yea, I want to retract my claim. Let me try again:

At least in my lifetime, there has been one US political party that has talked about free markets, balanced budgets, and limiting foreign engagements, and a different party that has been slightly less terrible in achieving those outcomes.
desultory
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:

I can't think of one.
The Reform and Libertarian parties have both done everything in their power to work toward those goals, everything. Which is, as one might infer, effectively nothing.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultory wrote:
Old School wrote:

I can't think of one.
The Reform and Libertarian parties have both done everything in their power to work toward those goals, everything. Which is, as one might infer, effectively nothing.

++

Nailed it.

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Peace Emits Positive Energy
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNAdj4GFDjQ

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Peace Emits Positive Energy
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
desultory wrote:
Old School wrote:

I can't think of one.

++

Nailed it.
Apropos of maybe nothing at all.

Muso wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNAdj4GFDjQ
If only it didn't have significant collateral damage, I might care.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
Old School wrote:

I can't think of one.

At least in my lifetime, there has been one US political party that has talked about free markets, balanced budgets, and limiting foreign engagements, and a different party that has been slightly less terrible in achieving those outcomes.

The Democrats have incessantly attempted to restrict free trade (up until Obama revealed his inner Bush), engage in protectionism, and supported unionization that drove nearly all manufacturing overseas. The Democrats are the party that forced the U.S. into every major war we've been in and the vast majority of smaller military conflicts we've been in. The Democrats are the party responsible for the "Domino Theory" and the Cold War. The Democrats are the party responsible for a hundred years of Jim Crow, segregation and racist domestic terrorism. The Democrats are the party responsible for bringing us to the brink of nuclear war with the Soviet Union (and then secretly caved in while lying to the People about it). It is the Democrats who are responsible for institutionalized racism and sexism in the form of hiring quotas and forced compensation equity based on race/sex alone, irrespective of actual ability or output. The Democrats are the party who have persistently, relentlessly, and onerously brainwashed the ignorant public into believing that bloated government spending has the effect of income redistribution (when in fact most government spending goes right into the pockets of the wealthy). It is the Democrats, in towns, cities, counties, and states across America who wouldn't attempt to balance a budget if they had any idea how to and who, at Federal level, often never even manage to complete a budget, never mind adhere to it. It is the Democrats who have created virtually every commerce-stifling regulatory measure. It is the Democrats who have turned America into an Orwellian police state controlling minds and stifling free speech and thought through unprecedented propaganda and social bullying of thought criminals and using Big Data technology, AI, and drones to spy on and assassinate its own citizens. What planet are YOU living on? The one where Hillary was a shoe-in, right?
richk449
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
richk449 wrote:
Old School wrote:

I can't think of one.

I specifically said “in my lifetime”. I realize it is a bit arbitrary, but I have to draw the line somewhere. The Republican Party has changed a lot since Reagan. If I was born twenty years earlier, I might have a different view of the parties right now.

Quote:
The Democrats are the party that forced the U.S. into every major war we've been in and the vast majority of smaller military conflicts we've been in.

All wars started in my lifetime have been started by Republicans.

Quote:
The Democrats are the party responsible for the "Domino Theory" and the Cold War. The Democrats are the party responsible for a hundred years of Jim Crow, segregation and racist domestic terrorism. The Democrats are the party responsible for bringing us to the brink of nuclear war with the Soviet Union (and then secretly caved in while lying to the People about it).

All true, and all a long time ago.

Quote:
It is the Democrats who are responsible for institutionalized racism and sexism in the form of hiring quotas and forced compensation equity based on race/sex alone, irrespective of actual ability or output.

True

Quote:
It is the Democrats, in towns, cities, counties, and states across America who wouldn't attempt to balance a budget if they had any idea how to and who, at Federal level, often never even manage to complete a budget, never mind adhere to it.

That’s a bit of an versimplification at the state and local level, and flat out wrong at the federal level. Since Reagan, it is very simple - republicans increase the federal deficit, democrats decrease it.

Quote:
... drones to spy on and assassinate its own citizens.

Both parties have been increasing th use of drones for spying. Only democrats have assinated us citizens with them though.

I left out the bs and hyperbole.

Last edited by richk449 on Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you believe A and vote B, basically. It's because your wife controls you, isn't it. It's okay to admit it here.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 13 of 20

Jump to: