[solved] compile24 and compile40 processes
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
needMoreFirmware
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:09 am    Post subject: [solved] compile24 and compile40 processes Reply with quote

I just checked my running processes in htop, and I noticed two strange processes that I'd never seen before, compile40 and compile26 (can't actually recall if it was 26 or 24), I worried more when I noticed they were taking a good percentage of my CPU usage, from 30% jumping to 100%, I checked if I was emerging something (since the name of the processes hinted that), but not at all, I then killed the processes.

I have looked up the names but I've got 0 results, anyone knows what this could be?, I'm seriously considering the possibility that my system could be compromised, even though it wouldn't make much sense since it's only been a week since I installed it (for the second time since I accidentally deleted my root partition before) and I haven't been running anything questionable, nothing wine, just sandboxed discord, sandboxed firefox (blocking most scripts) and a torrent client and I am very finicky about security, I hope someone knows what this is and if it's normal.

Last edited by needMoreFirmware on Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:35 am; edited 2 times in total
needMoreFirmware
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhhh, well this is embarrasing, I figured it out, hours ago I was learning go and I was goin through gotour, and apparently I made a bad program in the rot13 exercise, which I ran multiple times, little did I know it was actually infine looping, and compileXX are probably just the names gotour gives to the executables, here's the code (which is probably pretty bad) if anyone's curious:

Code:
package main

import (
   "io"
   "os"
   "strings"
)

type rot13Reader struct {
   r io.Reader
}

func rot13(c byte) byte {
   if c >= 'a' && c <= 'z' {
      c += 13
      if c > 'z' {
         c = ('a'-1) + (c - 'z')
      }
   } else if c >= 'A' && c <= 'Z' {
      c += 13
      if c > 'Z' {
         c = ('A'-1) + (c - 'Z')
      }
   }
   return c
}

func (r rot13Reader) Read(b []byte) (int, error) {
   var tb []byte
   var i int

tb = make([]byte, 1)

for i = 0; i < len(b); i++ {
      _, e := r.r.Read(tb)
      if e == io.EOF {
         break
      }
      b[i] = rot13(tb[0])
   }
   return i, nil
}

func main() {
   s := strings.NewReader("Lbh penpxrq gur pbqr!")
   r := rot13Reader{s}
   io.Copy(os.Stdout, &r)
}

It genuinely just hit me right after making the post, haha, fun fact I still don't know why it goes into an infinite loop. Please don't spread.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: