Will portage become "transactional"?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fpemud
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:35 am    Post subject: Will portage become "transactional"? Reply with quote

I just found out GNU Guix is a "transactional package manager".
Quote:
Dependable. It comes with the GNU Guix package manager, which in addition to standard package management features, supports transactional upgrades and roll-backs, unprivileged package management, per-user profiles, and more.

I think this feature is great.
Will portage be "transactional" in future?
mimosinnet
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which are the "transactional" features? This post, considers:

The system works fine.
    User upgrades a set of packages.
    The system does not work anymore.
    User wants to roll back to state 1.

This other thread discusses the advantages and disadvantages of a transactional package manager. Among other issues it considers:

Quote:
You write down all the details of a very specific, reproducible software stack, but you do not make that software much more composable or extensible than it already was. The user can install the version combination that you packaged, but can they easily try their own? Can they easily try to build with a different compiler/compiler version/set of compiler flags/dependency version/etc.?

From what I understand, transactional means that, after emerging a set of packages, it would be possible to uninstall these packages to a previous state by uninstalling them as a set. The guix configuration files seem to suggest you need a declaration of the packages that are installed/uninstalled.

Your post made me realise that portage can install packages on non-root locations ;) :)

Cheers!
Torro
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrt. rollback: you can utilize quickpkg and simply reinstall with emerge when needed.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fpemud ...

there is a cost in terms of disk space if the package manager is handling such rollback (ie, with binpkg, or whatever means guix uses). I better approach would be to have the filesystem do the transaction, similar to what you find in FreeBSD/TrueOS with ZFS boot environments.

best ... khay
yoshi314
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torro wrote:
wrt. rollback: you can utilize quickpkg and simply reinstall with emerge when needed.

that's fine and all, except for situation where you want to downgrade glibc for some reason. or other core library which might have changed ABI.
Maitreya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO the filesystem snapshot is the more correct way to handle this.
Rolling back usually means undoing the steps in reversed order which also might not execute properly. And not all changes might have been recorded?
The Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me like a feature for people who have never had a hard drive fail. Wait, I meant people who don't do backups. I get those two confused but I guess they are basically the same group.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory, rolling back to a filesystem snapshot or to a defined transaction point should be faster than restoring the affected packages from backup. Depending on backup timing and what upgrades are later rejected, it might also be possible to retain a greater number of desired changes by rolling only to a transaction point instead of rolling to the nearest backup. For example, if you maintain weekly system backups, but upgrade every 2-3 days, you might need to redo several days worth of good transactions if you were forced to revert to a nearly-week-old backup. A well-managed transaction system (or filesystem snapshot design) might let you roll back to the minute before the first unwanted upgrade, retaining all the desired upgrades of the preceding days.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, however that is a lot of overhead for a feature that you might only use a few times a year if that.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, under current usage it's not needed often enough to be worth it. As is, using testing or masked packages carries some risk of breakage, so it should only be done on systems that can afford the downtime when something breaks. However, if rollback were trivially easy, people might be more willing to live on the edge on systems that are currently upgraded very cautiously.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: