Xmonad and Citrix Receiver
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doc1623
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Xmonad and Citrix Receiver Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm hoping I can get someone familiar with one or both of these. I use xmonad as my window manager and I have to have Citrix Receiver for work. I'm on Gentoo. I know I can tame this beast; I'm just not sure how.

What I want is to use the vdi in half the screen. So I can continue to switch between the vdi and my gentoo box. I have a wide monitor.

I use Xmonad but I'm no expert. I normally just leave things full screen and mod tab to go through my windows. When Citrix is conneced to my work vdi I can't do that. It seems to capture all keystrokes. I think the key is going to lie in creating a hook in my xmonad config but I don't know that well.

I've tried using Mod space and then Mod enter to move the vdi window to the main but it doesn't work. I know I can learn Xmonad inside out and then I could do it but I just don't have time. I'm back to work tomorrow. Let me know if you know how to deal with this or have a great tutorial link. In the meantime, I'll be trying to figure out Xmonad hooks!

Thanks for any help!
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on your description, I think this is a Citrix problem, not an Xmonad problem. X11 permits applications to grab the keyboard and/or mouse, at which point all input from that device goes to the grabber. While the grab is active, your window manager will not get a chance to process the key first. As far as your window manager can see, you never pressed the key at all.

I found through Google some Citrix pages that suggest the Windows-hosted Citrix agent grabs the keyboard, so it seems likely that the Linux-hosted Citrix agent will also grab the keyboard. Unfortunately, Citrix IT still hasn't fixed their TLS configuration (despite having years to do so), so all connections fail with SSL_ERROR_UNSAFE_NEGOTIATION. Unless I reconfigure to allow unsafe negotiation, I can't get to their documentation to dig deeper.

If you want to see keyboard grabbing in action using only open tools:
  • Pick some Xmonad keybinding that definitely fails when Citrix Receiver is active.
  • With Citrix Receiver inactive, verify the binding works.
  • In an xterm, enable Secure Keyboard mode from the control+left-mouse-button pop-up.
  • Try your binding again. It should fail, because the xterm grabbed the keyboard.
  • Use control+LMB pop-up to end Secure Keyboard mode.
As for researching your problem, I would try keywords such as "Citrix receiver Linux keyboard grab".
doc1623
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
Based on your description, I think this is a Citrix problem, not an Xmonad problem. X11 permits applications to grab the keyboard and/or mouse, at which point all input from that device goes to the grabber. While the grab is active, your window manager will not get a chance to process the key first. As far as your window manager can see, you never pressed the key at all.

I found through Google some Citrix pages that suggest the Windows-hosted Citrix agent grabs the keyboard, so it seems likely that the Linux-hosted Citrix agent will also grab the keyboard. Unfortunately, Citrix IT still hasn't fixed their TLS configuration (despite having years to do so), so all connections fail with SSL_ERROR_UNSAFE_NEGOTIATION. Unless I reconfigure to allow unsafe negotiation, I can't get to their documentation to dig deeper.

If you want to see keyboard grabbing in action using only open tools:
  • Pick some Xmonad keybinding that definitely fails when Citrix Receiver is active.
  • With Citrix Receiver inactive, verify the binding works.
  • In an xterm, enable Secure Keyboard mode from the control+left-mouse-button pop-up.
  • Try your binding again. It should fail, because the xterm grabbed the keyboard.
  • Use control+LMB pop-up to end Secure Keyboard mode.
As for researching your problem, I would try keywords such as "Citrix receiver Linux keyboard grab".

Wow thank you for your efforts! I'll work on it!

I think there is a way just to have certain apps open to a specific size. Like I said I use Xmonad but I've never really worked/learned to configure it. I got stuck today in trying to install some ports. The latest Haskell-platform failed with

Code:

/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/6.4.0/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: -r and -pie may not be used together
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status

but this was a bit down the rabbit hole because compiling the sample config failed

Code:

/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/6.4.0/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: final link failed: Nonrepresentable section on output
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
`x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc' failed in phase `Linker'. (Exit code: 1)

Please check the file for errors.

xmonad: xmessage: executeFile: resource exhausted (Argument list too long)

Code:

%xmonad --version                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         4780
xmonad 0.13

sample config from

/usr/share/xmonad-0.13/ghc-8.0.2/man/xmonad.hs

I thought maybe the sample failed because I was missing some dependencies
doc1623
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FOUND IT

Thank YOU HU!

https://askubuntu.com/questions/744672/switch-to-host-desktop-from-citrix-session

Press ctrl+F2 in the citrix session. This enables keyboard shortcuts from the host system (Ubuntu).
Now you can use alt+tab to switch the focus to the application you used before opening citrix (or the desktop).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: