Open Source Video Editors
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Document
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:33 am    Post subject: Open Source Video Editors Reply with quote

Are there any which utilize opencl? Especially for encoding.
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_editing_software
Marcih
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Open Source Video Editors Reply with quote

The only one I know of that utilizes OpenCL (and CUDA) that is also available for Linux is Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve with serious drawbacks such as not being FOSS or needing Blackmagic's DeckLink expansion card in order to have audio monitoring during editing.
Personal opinion: DaVinci Resolve being commercial software, it is not unsurprising that it's not free(dom software). The audio issue however is unacceptable, especially since it is not present on Windows or macOS (at least to my knowledge) and highlights the issues of non-free software (power over the user, blah blah blah, you know the deal) while treating Linux users as second-class.

EDIT: There is hope though! As I was writing this, I remembered that it was quite some time ago that I tried DaVinci Resolve and I checked what the status of Linux audio is. ALSA support is planned for the next release and a beta is already available. I've just installed it and it Just Works(tm). I have to say, a much better experience than what I had when I tried it last year September; no hunting down for missing libs and audio working. What boggles my mind is the use of ALSA instead of JACK for professional stuff but nevermind, I'm glad we've got audio support on the way.

NeddySeagoon wrote:
The problem with leaving is that you can only do it once and it reduces your influence.
dkasak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blender uses OpenCL for some things, though I don't know if this would include what you're after. While it might sounds like an overkill, and it's UI is pretty daunting compared to other FOSS video editors, it's by FAR the best around.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: