New install can only ping from the liveCD as root and chroot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a9p6
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: New install can only ping from the liveCD as root and chroot Reply with quote

I'm having a weird issue with my recent Gentoo install. The problem is that I can't seem to connect to the outside world once I'm booted into the actual install. I can ping as root from the livecd, I can even ping when I'm chrooted into my system from the livecd, but as soon as I boot directly into my Gentoo install, I can no longer ping 8.8.8.8 or google.com. I've copied over the /etc/resolv.conf file from the livecd into /mnt/gentoo/etc but still no luck. Any ideas on what this could be?
mike155
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please show us the output of 'ifconfig -a' and 'route -n' after you booted from your LiveCD (when you can ping 8.8.8.8 ) and after you booted your installed system (when you can't ping 8.8.8.8 ).
Hu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you know you cannot ping those hosts? What output tells you that? What tests did you do to determine if that output is correct?
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

resolv.conf and dns, like google 8.8.8.8, are use to translate a name into an IP address.
so with a failure with dns, you cannot translate google.com to its IP and when you ping google.com, ping don't know what IP to ping.

but if you feed it directly with the IP, no dns are need, no resolv.conf is use, nothing to translate.
result: if you cannot "ping whatevername" -> maybe dns ; if you cannot "ping 8.8.8.8" -> not a dns issue because no dns is use there.
maybe this will help you https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7746228.html#7746228
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: