View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djentoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Similar to Gnome2/Mate? Reply with quote

I am not sure what DE to go with, but I went with the Gnome profile because I usually go with gtk stuff. I haven't tried Gnome3. I set all my profiles up the same: like Gnome2; top panel for Applications and tray, bottom for taskbar and cycling through desktops. I don't like the goofy names Mate gives everything. What to try? What to read about? Enlightenment sounds kinda cool and it isn't super common. I have never liked KDE since I tried Mandriva in 2007. :-/
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't use gnome or kde you can use generic desktop profile default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop.
You can try xfce4 or cinnamon as DE
djentoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fedeliallalinea wrote:
If you don't use gnome or kde you can use generic desktop profile default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop.
You can try xfce4 or cinnamon as DE

This is good to know. I figured I would end up with a lot of programs that use the GTK toolkit so I might as well go with the gnome/systemd profile.

I like Cinnamon on Mint. It's very familiar. I installed XFCE on my mother's computer and wasn't personally a fan of that one. I could probably just slap together my own DE, couldn't I?
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once had a laptop with only OpenBox on it. With the help of tint2 (taskbar/panel), nitrogen (background setter), idesk (Icons on the root window) and compton (Compositor) it was good to go.

But with that approach you have to do everything yourself...
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djentoo wrote:
This is good to know. I figured I would end up with a lot of programs that use the GTK toolkit so I might as well go with the gnome/systemd profile.
With a quick look in profile make.default gnome profile add these use flags

Code:
USE="colord eds evo gnome gnome-keyring gnome-online-accounts gstreamer introspection libsecret nautilus pulseaudio tracker"

If you want use general desktop profile with systemd you can combine the two profile default/linux/amd64/17.0/systemd and default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop
C5ace
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Similar to Gnome2/Mate? Reply with quote

djentoo wrote:
I am not sure what DE to go with, but I went with the Gnome profile because I usually go with gtk stuff. I haven't tried Gnome3. I set all my profiles up the same: like Gnome2; top panel for Applications and tray, bottom for taskbar and cycling through desktops. I don't like the goofy names Mate gives everything. What to try? What to read about? Enlightenment sounds kinda cool and it isn't super common. I have never liked KDE since I tried Mandriva in 2007. :-/

I changed from Gnome 2 to Xfce with openrc and configured the Desktop with the Taskbar on the bottom to look like Windows 2000. Now have 21 like this to look after.
djentoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to try Gnome3 first since I haven't even used it yet. I actually do like it. Just a few annoyances like not being able to hide/minimize windows.

I just finished compiling MATE to see if that's better than Gnome Classic, which is not at all what I was expecting.
OldTango
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djentoo wrote:
I just finished compiling MATE to see if that's better than Gnome Classic, which is not at all what I was expecting.

Not sure what you were expecting.

MATE is a clone of Gnome 2 and while not as light as some DE's it is much lighter than Gnome 3 and yet still provides a fairly complete and usable desktop environment. I find MATE much smoother and more responsive (apps load much faster) than Gnome 3. You can run MATE without systemd which for me is a plus.

What you pick for a DE is more a matter of personal preference and available system resources. I just prefer a classic desktop.

I run ~mate-1.18 with a generic profile default/linux/amd64/17.0 and set my own use flags as necessary.

:)
djentoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldTango wrote:
djentoo wrote:

Not sure what you were expecting.

MATE is a clone of Gnome 2 and while not as light as some DE's it is much lighter than Gnome 3 and yet still provides a fairly complete and usable desktop environment. I find MATE much smoother and more responsive (apps load much faster) than Gnome 3. You can run MATE without systemd which for me is a plus.

What you pick for a DE is more a matter of personal preference and available system resources. I just prefer a classic desktop.

I run ~mate-1.18 with a generic profile default/linux/amd64/17.0 and set my own use flags as necessary.

:)

Ahh, well I was just expecting to be able to add and customize panels. Gnome3 feels like a playpen; like OSX.
OldTango
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djentoo wrote:
Ahh, well I was just expecting to be able to add and customize panels. Gnome3 feels like a playpen; like OSX.
As far as I know you can add and customize as many panels as you like. I customize my panels and menus as I see fit to suit my needs.

There not going to resemble the Gnome 3 panels, as they shouldn't.

..... :)
ian.au
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djentoo wrote:
I decided to try Gnome3 first since I haven't even used it yet. I actually do like it. Just a few annoyances like not being able to hide/minimize windows.

Why is it you think you can't hide / minimize windows on Gnome3? A double-click anywhere on the top bar will min / max a window, there aren't icons for that.

To get Gnome3 to work the way I wanted required installation of the gnome-extra/gnome-tweak-tool and quite a bit of experimentation / configuration initially to even get things like a right-click option to grab a terminal from the current desktop, and a bunch of other options an experienced user would expect to see as defaults.

DE's a personal thing I guess, but I'm putting up with systemd on a bunch of machines to keep Gnome 3 around, that's my main annoyance with it.

Dantrell has done some excellent work on Gnome3 without systemd which would be fine for personal use. I haven't installed that since elogind became a thing, but it's on the list to try again when I get a spare machine and a bit of time.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: