Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
xf86-video-sisusb history? And how to use "hot plug video"?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: xf86-video-sisusb history? And how to use "hot plug vi Reply with quote

Did xf86-video-sisusb get lastrited or something? It seems like it bitrotted in the past, but later seems to have been updated in early 2017?

I tried hacking up an ebuild and tried the tarball from xorg (xf86-video-sisusb-0.9.7), and it seems to work! I was curious how bad it was to get dropped from portage?

Alas now I need to figure out a way for the driver to be automatically loaded regardless if the device is actually plugged in or not, it was meant to be a hot pluggable video card...
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kernel has a driver under CONFIG_USB_SISUSBVGA; with that you should be able to use the modesetting driver with it. The X driver likely got culled for being one of the last few that required giving X direct root access to the hardware outside the kernel.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange, thought it would simply be marked unstable as it compiles and works, letting the user decide whether the security risk is worth it. I do wonder now whether it still requires root access.

I was a bit annoyed at trying to get this to work with the built-in graphics on the machine. Despite having it built, it does not read it in automatically nor try to configure it - an explicit xorg.conf set was needed to get it to work, which interfered with the autodetect of the laptop's internal graphics processor.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it doesn't show up in /sys/class/graphics/ or /sys/class/drm/, X is doing all the driving itself. Technically it doesn't *need* root for that since it's a USB device and those can be accessed directly through generic /dev/ nodes and appropriate file permissions, but in practice it's never going to be configured that way (especially since it pre-dates the whole rootless X and modesetting effort). It's really easy to spoof a USB device too, which is probably why they removed the package - prevent clueless people from ticking every box at install and then getting pwned by a rpi zero.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: