100% CPU Utilization on MacBook Air 4,2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremy.hastings
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: 100% CPU Utilization on MacBook Air 4,2 Reply with quote

Hello,

I've been trying to solve this issue for a couple weeks to no avail. I am trying to install Gentoo on a 13" MacBook Air Mid-2011 (4,2). When I boot up off the live installation media, I immediately peg 100% CPU utilization at idle and no corresponding processes (ie there is nothing indicating a process is consuming that much CPU processes). I've also used a couple different command line system monitor and still there is no indication. It doesn't matter if the logic board is the i5 or the i7. I've tried both and the issue is the same. Originally I purchased a 13" MacBook Air with the i5 and a 128GB SSD. I can only verify the issue on the 4.4 kernel and the 4.5 kernel. I was going to give the 4.9 a try and see if the same issue is present. The side effect of all this is the computer runs hot and the fan is audible at idle. It pegs at full speed during any medium load and during compilation the i7 will thermal shutdown. I've installed the latest MacOS to see if it was possibly hardware and with the MacOS idle CPU Utilization is 4 - 8% so I believe all hardware is in perfect working condition. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I've done plenty of searches in google and I've checked the forums, and I find nothing related. Of course, I may be searching for the wrong information. I'm not exactly what information anyone would require to help diagnose. Thanks.
guitou
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.
You should try "top" command in a terminal.

++
Gi)
jeremy.hastings
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used htop, is that similar? It still showed 100% CPU Utilization in Core 1 and 3 or 4 processes taking a couple % each. Would you like a screenshot? Is there something else you would like to see the output from? Thanks for your response.
guitou
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, top or htop, this should make no difference. Anyway, I'm afraid your case is just a mistery (at least to me), and you may rather try another installation medium (SystemRescueCD, or maybe, mac OS X being an Unix could you run install from there?)

++
Gi)
jeremy.hastings
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try installing a different distro later and see if that makes a difference. I just prefer Gentoo ... It makes me feel like I'm actually learning something.
guitou
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not suggesting you to give up with Gentoo, just to try and install from another medium (or media, as you prefer).

++
Gi)
jeremy.hastings
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image of my htop output if that helps.

http://tinypic.com/r/2ni5nrp/9
PrSo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremy.hastings wrote:
Image of my htop output if that helps.

http://tinypic.com/r/2ni5nrp/9

Please, sort the htop output out with F6 key and PERCENT_CPU.

EDIT:
I have old Toshiba laptop with PentiumM 765 running plasma desktop and it is quite snappy as for such old stuff, so it is really something wrong with your setup/config, your hardware should be flying with that.

Last edited by PrSo on Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremy.hastings wrote:
When I boot up off the live installation media, I immediately peg 100% CPU utilization at idle and no corresponding processes (ie there is nothing indicating a process is consuming that much CPU processes).
Since this happens with the live install media and does not happen with Mac OS, I'd try different installation media. As guitou mentioned, SystemRescueCD would be a good option to try. Many people use it to install Gentoo, myself included (I don't recall the last time I used something else).

Other kernel versions may be worth testing as well.

After you've at least tried booting with SystemRescueCD, maybe try different kernel sources. I found reference to what sounds like a similar problem, and for that user, using ck-sources seemed to resolve the issue.

Code:
[N] sys-kernel/ck-sources (~4.15.15(4.15.15)): Con Kolivas' high performance patchset and Gentoo's genpatches for Linux 4.15

jeremy.hastings
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. I just booted up off the Elementary OS Live Install Disk and I ran top. Now top only showed a 65% utilization but it showed a kworker process utilizing that 65%. When I installed htop and ran it the kworker process doesn't show but it shows that the 65% utilization was all on one processor and eventually the fans started running. I did some searches kworker 100% CPU utilization and I found something more useful.

grep . -r /sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/

that command shows gpe15 at 29736382 which apparently is an issue with some Macs. Supposedly disabling it takes care of the issue, at least in Ubuntu based systems.

sudo echo "disable" > /sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe15

Last edited by jeremy.hastings on Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:32 am; edited 1 time in total
jeremy.hastings
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's it ... problem solved thanks.
PrSo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know, but IMHO it is only temporary solution (i.e. putting this command into startup script).

If https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=117481 sounds familiar, and in the newest kernel this problem is not resolved I think it is worth to open a bug report upstream because it seems to me like this is the firmware issue.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: