No audio being output after unmerging pulseaudio with ALSA
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
osilkin98
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject: No audio being output after unmerging pulseaudio with ALSA Reply with quote

I recently installed KDE yesterday and had configured my kernel to be compliant with ALSA. After the KDE installation completed, however, I noticed that the hardware buttons on my ThinkPad T420 (volume up, down, mute) weren't actually performing the actions that they were meant for.

They are getting registered by Gentoo if I press them, however they aren't actually mapped to their correct actionscripts. The sound DID work, however it was I think halfway up as alsamixer would've had it (I hadn't checked it until later). I tried using speaker-test and it gave output from both the left and the right speaker correctly, just quietly. Since the buttons didn't work properly I decided to look for a fix and ended up stupidly installing pulseaudio, with hopes that it would somehow remedy my issue.

When I emerged pulseaudio, it prompted the installation of an additional 7 packages whose names I cannot recall, along with pulseaudio. (8 in total)

After everything finished and I rebooted the system, the volume buttons DID function the way they were supposed to, and the mute button lit up when pressed, so that was a good sign. However, no audio was actually playing. When I went into alsamixer, it said that both the card and the device were pulseaudio. I tried using speaker-test again to test, but strangely, now there was only one side whenever the audio would be tested. Just the front left, and it wouldn't make any noise as previously mentioned.

I then realized that I had made a mistake and decided to unmerge pulseaudio, however it only unmerged pulseaudio itself, and not the remaining 7 packages that came along with it when I installed it. I tried playing around with ALSA a bit more, but no luck.

Now that pulseaudio is gone, however, if I go into alsamixer it'll tell me my proper card infromation to be
Code:
Card: HDA Intel PCH
Chip: Conexant CX20590

The audio widgets still exist and the hardware buttons DO change the volume, however no audio is being output,

`lspci | grep -i audio`:
Code:
 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)

/etc/asound.conf
Code:
defaults.pcm.!card PCH
defaults.pcm.!device 0

bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah good ole hda-intel... do you have the correct codec installed (I'm guessing conexant)?

I can't imagine installing pulseaudio would break something... Have you tried deleting the asound.conf completely? AFAIK you shouldn't need it.

banned from #gentoo since sept 2017
osilkin98
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunder wrote:
do you have the correct codec installed (I'm guessing conexant)?

Yeah I had the codec and everything installed, apparently I just needed to call alsactl init and it fixed my problem.

And you were right it was conexant
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: