View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
statikregimen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: .Xscreensaver does not accept password Reply with quote

Hi all,

Seems this is a rare problem, but I've found some other, much older posts with similar issues.Most of the solutions didn't work/apply. This is the 3rd machine I've set up recently with Gentoo, and the other two (last I checked) are working normally with default configs/use flags. However, on this one I had to build xscreensaver without pam support which has resolved the issue for now. Is this in any way suboptimal for local security? It certainly does not seem ideal for new users who generally expect things to work out of the box.

With that, I was hoping somebody might be able to provide some insight on other things I can look at, since this is a fresh install presumably configured identically to the other machines I've done Perhaps I overlooked something in my configs, or I've found a bug and should report? If the later, how to narrow down where the bug lies (in pam, xscreensaver, something else)?

Any guidance is appreciated!

Cheers.

Last edited by statikregimen on Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:24 am; edited 3 times in total
JWJones
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this happen to me before, too. I was unable to resolve it (PAM was not involved, however, as I recall), so I simply gave up on xscreensaver altogether and went minimal with slock for screen locking, avoiding screensavers.

Sorry, but I don't really remember any specifics beyond that.
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does xscreensaver log when the unlock fails? I have seen this when it is configured to use PAM and it is unable to load PAM. I have also seen this when it is run with the no-new-privs restriction set, since it needs a privileged helper to verify the password.
statikregimen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
What does xscreensaver log when the unlock fails? I have seen this when it is configured to use PAM and it is unable to load PAM. I have also seen this when it is run with the no-new-privs restriction set, since it needs a privileged helper to verify the password.

Sorry, I forgot to include that!

I'm not sure where the xscreensaver logs are? But I get a lot of this kind of stuff in /var/log/auth.log :

Code:
Mar 26 17:09:05 anony-mouse xscreensaver: pam_unix(xscreensaver:auth): conversation failed
Mar 26 17:09:05 anony-mouse xscreensaver: pam_unix(xscreensaver:auth): auth could not identify password for [statik]
Mar 27 09:13:38 anony-mouse unix_chkpwd[19858]: check pass; user unknown
Mar 27 09:13:42 anony-mouse unix_chkpwd[19898]: check pass; user unknown
Mar 27 09:13:42 anony-mouse unix_chkpwd[19898]: password check failed for user (statik)
Mar 27 09:13:42 anony-mouse xscreensaver: pam_unix(xscreensaver:auth): authentication failure; logname= uid=1000 euid=1000 tty=:0.0 ruser= rhost=  user=statik
Mar 27 09:13:44 anony-mouse xscreensaver[3229]: FAILED LOGIN 1 ON DISPLAY ":0", FOR "statik"
Mar 27 09:13:45 anony-mouse unix_chkpwd[19933]: check pass; user unknown
Mar 27 09:13:48 anony-mouse unix_chkpwd[19964]: check pass; user unknown
Mar 27 09:13:48 anony-mouse unix_chkpwd[19964]: password check failed for user (statik)

Seems I only got that "conversation failed" message once...Then after that, it's just a bunch of the others in no apparent pattern.

JWJones wrote:
I've had this happen to me before, too. I was unable to resolve it (PAM was not involved, however, as I recall), so I simply gave up on xscreensaver altogether and went minimal with slock for screen locking, avoiding screensavers.

Sorry, but I don't really remember any specifics beyond that.

Not sure what you mean by "minimal with stock"? I use xscreensaver for timed locking. I'm a pretty unpredictable person, and will often times impulsively walk away from my computer, forgetting to lock it. Not much worse than coming back to it w/ a pron tab front and center and wondering who's seen it!
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

statikregimen wrote:
JWJones wrote:
I simply gave up on xscreensaver altogether and went minimal with slock
Not sure what you mean by "minimal with stock"?
Clean your monitor (or, if applicable, your glasses) and/or check your font. He said slock, an alternate screen locking program, not stock. :)

You should be able to use xscreensaver for locking. What is the output of ls -l /sbin/unix_chkpwd? It should be mode 4711. Are you running xscreensaver under setpriv --nnp or equivalent? If yes, don't.
statikregimen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
statikregimen wrote:
JWJones wrote:
I simply gave up on xscreensaver altogether and went minimal with slock
Not sure what you mean by "minimal with stock"?
Clean your monitor (or, if applicable, your glasses) and/or check your font. He said slock, an alternate screen locking program, not stock. :)

You should be able to use xscreensaver for locking. What is the output of ls -l /sbin/unix_chkpwd? It should be mode 4711. Are you running xscreensaver under setpriv --nnp or equivalent? If yes, don't.

lmao...derp. Totally misread.

Here is the output of the command you requested:

Code:
-rwx--x--x 1 root root 31184 Mar 22 15:25 /sbin/unix_chkpwd

I believe that to be 0711... I will not have local access to the machine until Monday. So I'll try adjusting to 4711.

I am running xscreensaver via ~/.xsession thusly:

Code:
xscreensaver -no-splash &

Also, fwiw, I'm running XDM+Qtile on all my machines, and again, only 1 of 3 has the issue so far. I was able to test my others tonight, and they continue to work fine.
JWJones
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, slock, not stock, which can be started after a specific period of user inactivity using xautolock. More info here:

https://tools.suckless.org/slock/
statikregimen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, JWJones - I'll definitely switch to sLock for my mobile machines where eye candy is not useful :D

Also, just finished setting up another machine. It is also having the same issue. It occurred to me that my working systems have not been updated in several days (i.e. since before these 2 new installs) So I'll update those, and see if the problem appears. If so, I'd say that's a strong indicator of a bug somewhere, rather than anything I'm doing wrong (but pro-tip: it's probably me lol).

Cheers
Hu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

statikregimen wrote:
I believe that to be 0711... I will not have local access to the machine until Monday. So I'll try adjusting to 4711.
You interpret that output correctly. Monday has arrived. Was fixing this sufficient?
statikregimen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
statikregimen wrote:
You interpret that output correctly. Monday has arrived. Was fixing this sufficient?

Sorry! Completely forgot to try this.

I've set the permissions as prescribed, and rebuilt xscreensaver w/ pam support again. Lo and behold, it worked!

So I guess now the question is, why was that file set incorrectly? I'm 99% sure I extracted the stage3 with the proper command provided in the handbook:

Code:
tar xpf stage3-*.tar.{bz2,xz} --xattrs-include='*.*' --numeric-owner

But not even really sure when that file would come into play or where it comes from...

Going to give this same thing a try on the latest machine I set up.

Thanks!

EDIT: Seems to have done the trick on the other machine as well. So problem solved on my end.
Hu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to equery belongs, that file is owned by sys-libs/pam. On an affected machine, what is the output of cat -n /var/db/pkg/sys-libs/pam-*/FEATURES? What version of pam is in use? What is the output of emerge --info?
statikregimen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
According to equery belongs, that file is owned by sys-libs/pam. On an affected machine, what is the output of cat -n /var/db/pkg/sys-libs/pam-*/FEATURES? What version of pam is in use? What is the output of emerge --info?

Code:
$ cat -n /var/db/pkg/sys-libs/pam-*/FEATURES
     1  assume-digests binpkg-logs config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles merge-sync multilib-strict news parallel-fetch preserve-libs protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch userpriv usersandbox usersync xattr

Code:

*  sys-libs/pam
      Latest version available: 1.2.1-r2
      Latest version installed: 1.2.1-r2
      Size of files: 1,729 KiB
      Homepage:      http://www.linux-pam.org/
      Description:   Linux-PAM (Pluggable Authentication Modules)
      License:       || ( BSD GPL-2 )

Code:
$ emerge --info
Portage 2.3.24 (python 3.5.4-final-0, default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop, gcc-6.4.0, glibc-2.25-r11, 4.15.14 x86_64)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-4.15.14-x86_64-AMD_A12-9720P_RADEON_R7,_12_COMPUTE_CORES_4C+8G-with-gentoo-2.4.1
KiB Mem:    15905536 total,   9201448 free
KiB Swap:   17459196 total,  17219324 free
Timestamp of repository gentoo: Tue, 03 Apr 2018 02:00:01 +0000
Head commit of repository gentoo: 5558078abf664d63fead55f6fde1d4b95d18e426
sh bash 4.4_p12
ld GNU ld (Gentoo 2.29.1 p3) 2.29.1
app-shells/bash:          4.4_p12::gentoo
dev-lang/perl:            5.24.3-r1::gentoo
dev-lang/python:          2.7.14-r1::gentoo, 3.5.4-r1::gentoo
dev-util/cmake:           3.9.6::gentoo
dev-util/pkgconfig:       0.29.2::gentoo
sys-apps/baselayout:      2.4.1-r2::gentoo
sys-apps/openrc:          0.34.11::gentoo
sys-apps/sandbox:         2.13::gentoo
sys-devel/autoconf:       2.13::gentoo, 2.69-r4::gentoo
sys-devel/automake:       1.15.1-r2::gentoo
sys-devel/binutils:       2.29.1-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc:            6.4.0-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc-config:     1.8-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/libtool:        2.4.6-r3::gentoo
sys-devel/make:           4.2.1::gentoo
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 4.13::gentoo (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc:           2.25-r11::gentoo
Repositories:

gentoo
    sync-type: rsync
    sync-uri: rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage
    priority: -1000
    sync-rsync-extra-opts:
    sync-rsync-verify-metamanifest: no

steam-overlay
    masters: gentoo
    priority: 50

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -march=native"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/gnupg/qualified.txt"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/dconf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -march=native"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FCFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles merge-sync multilib-strict news parallel-fetch preserve-libs protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch userpriv usersandbox usersync xattr"
FFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://ftp.ussg.iu.edu/pub/linux/gentoo http://lug.mtu.edu/gentoo/ ftp://lug.mtu.edu/gentoo/ http://cosmos.illinois.edu/pub/gentoo/ ftp://cosmos.illinois.edu/pub/gentoo/"
LANG="en_US.utf8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
MAKEOPTS="-j5"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --omit-dir-times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages --exclude=/.git"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
USE="X a52 aac acl acpi alsa amd64 berkdb bluetooth branding bzip2 cairo cdda cdr cli consolekit crypt cups cxx dbus dri dts dvd dvdr emboss encode exif fam flac fortran gdbm gif git glamor gpm gtk iconv ipv6 jpeg lcms ldap libnotify mad mng modules mp3 mp4 mpeg multilib ncurses nls nptl ogg opengl openmp pam pango pcre pdf png policykit ppds pulseaudio qt3support readline sdl seccomp spell ssl startup-notification steamruntime svg tcpd tiff truetype udev udisks unicode upower usb vorbis wxwidgets x264 xattr xcb xml xv xvid zlib" ABI_X86="64" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" APACHE2_MODULES="authn_core authz_core socache_shmcb unixd actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="kexi words flow plan sheets stage tables krita karbon braindump author" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" CPU_FLAGS_X86="aes avx avx2 f16c fma3 fma4 mmx mmxext pclmul popcnt sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 xop" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock isync itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf skytraq superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ublox ubx" GRUB_PLATFORMS="efi-64" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev synaptics" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer" OFFICE_IMPLEMENTATION="libreoffice" PHP_TARGETS="php5-6 php7-0" POSTGRES_TARGETS="postgres9_5" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_5" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_5" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby22 ruby23" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="amdgpu radeonsi" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  CC, CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, CXX, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, LINGUAS, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS

Last edited by statikregimen on Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know when I checked on my system, unix_chkpwd came up with permissions as 0711. I can't really say if xscreensaver locking works or not for my system, as I don't use that side. What would be interesting, is finding out if that file defaults as 0711 when pam is installed or was it possibly changed in a earlier version or changed by some other package.

I may just do a little test on my system, by intentionally breaking the system and removing pam; and reinstall it and see what the permissions of that file is
Note: I am fully aware, in doing so I get to pick up all pieces; and DO NOT recommend anyone do the same thing without knowing exactly what they are doing.

Update:
Well, I confirmed for my system at least, unix_chkpwd comes by default with permissions of 0711 only. This was tested, but completely remove pam from system and verify the file is gone; then freshly recompiling pam again and rechecking the file's permissions.

Code:

Using username "ct85711".
Oate /home/ct85711 # emerge -pv pam xorg-server

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R    ] sys-libs/pam-1.3.0-r2::gentoo  USE="berkdb cracklib filecaps nls pie -audit -debug -nis (-selinux) {-test} -vim-syntax" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] x11-base/xorg-server-1.19.5-r1:0/1.19.5::gentoo  USE="dmx glamor ipv6 kdrive suid udev xcsecurity xephyr xnest xorg xvfb -debug -doc -libressl -minimal (-selinux) -static-libs -systemd -tslib -unwind -wayland" 0 KiB

Total: 2 packages (2 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 KiB
Oate /home/ct85711 # ls -l /sbin/unix_chkpwd
-rwx--x--x 1 root root 31224 Apr  4 03:27 /sbin/unix_chkpwd
Oate /home/ct85711 # emerge -pv xscreensaver

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R    ] x11-misc/xscreensaver-5.38::gentoo  USE="jpeg opengl pam perl xinerama -gdm -new-login -offensive (-selinux) -suid" 0 KiB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 KiB
Hu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ct85711, thank you for prompting me to look more closely. If sys-libs/pam is built with USE=filecaps, it can install a mode 711 unix_chkpwd and rely on file capabilities to grant CAP_DAC_OVERRIDE. If built without file caps, unix_chkpwd must be 4711 so that it gets CAP_DAC_OVERRIDE (and many other unnecessary capabilities) as a result of being suid root. So if the OP had built with USE=filecaps, then telling him to enable suid was wrong. OP: what is the output of emerge --pretend --verbose sys-libs/pam?
statikregimen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
OP: what is the output of emerge --pretend --verbose sys-libs/pam?

Code:
[ebuild   R    ] sys-libs/pam-1.2.1-r2::gentoo  USE="berkdb cracklib filecaps nls pie -audit -debug -nis (-selinux) {-test}" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)" 0 KiB

[Moderator edit: added [code] tags to preserve output layout. -Hu]
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice may have worked, but since you have USE=filecaps, my advice was the wrong solution. We need to determine whether unix_chkpwd had the file capability annotation. If it did, we need to know why it did not work for you. If it did not, we need to know why it did not, since USE=filecaps should have caused it to be there. If you re-emerge sys-libs/pam, keeping USE=filecaps, what is the output of ls -l /sbin/unix_chkpwd ; getcap /sbin/unix_chkpwd? How did you install PAM previously? Was this system created using only Portage to install files or were some files installed through other means, such as cp -r from some other source?
statikregimen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
My advice may have worked, but since you have USE=filecaps, my advice was the wrong solution. We need to determine whether unix_chkpwd had the file capability annotation. If it did, we need to know why it did not work for you. If it did not, we need to know why it did not, since USE=filecaps should have caused it to be there. If you re-emerge sys-libs/pam, keeping USE=filecaps, what is the output of ls -l /sbin/unix_chkpwd ; getcap /sbin/unix_chkpwd? How did you install PAM previously? Was this system created using only Portage to install files or were some files installed through other means, such as cp -r from some other source?

After re-emerging pam:

Code:
# ls -l /sbin/unix_chkpwd
-rws--x--x 1 root root 31184 Apr  5 22:57 /sbin/unix_chkpwd

pam should have been installed automagically based on my profile or as a dependency of something...

Code:
$ eselect profile show
Current /etc/portage/make.profile symlink:
  default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something is strange here. If you have USE=filecaps, your file should not be suid, and should have a file capability. Your older output says you have USE=filecaps. Your most recent post says you have suid. You did not show getcap. Please show that, and add -v so that it prints even if there are no capabilities.

Yes, pam is a dependency. I wanted to know if this system had been installed through Portage or had been copied from a working Gentoo install. The latter might, depending on options used, lose file capabilities.
statikregimen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wtf...? I swear I copied/pasted the command you were looking for...

Code:
# ls -lv /sbin/unix_chkpwd ; getcap /sbin/unix_chkpwd
-rws--x--x 1 root root 31184 Apr  5 22:57 /sbin/unix_chkpwd
Failed to get capabilities of file `/sbin/unix_chkpwd' (Operation not supported)

The system was installed entirely via Portage - no files copied from elsewhere.

I'm not sure what you mean about my older posts showing filecaps vs most recent?
Hu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted -v on getcap, not on ls. However, the error message you received is good enough. There is no need to provide getcap -v now. I interpret that error message to mean that your filesystem does not support file capabilities. What type of filesystem did you use for the /sbin directory? What mount options are set for it?

Regarding USE=filecaps vs suid: if you build the package with USE=filecaps, then unix_chkpwd should not be suid and should have a file capability annotation. If you build with USE=-filecaps, then unix_chkpwd should be suid. In your most recent post where you showed the USE flags, you have USE=filecaps, so I would expect you not to have the suid flag on unix_chkpwd. However, your most recent post where you showed permissions shows that unix_chkpwd is suid. So either you set it manually, per my (now known to be incorrect) advice earlier in the thread, or something else strange is happening.
statikregimen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delayed response. I use ext4 for everything

I did in fact change the permissions per your original suggestion prior to learning that it was not the proper solution. I'm not sure how to undo it. I need to educate myself quite a bit more on this stuff.
Hu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

statikregimen wrote:
I did in fact change the permissions per your original suggestion prior to learning that it was not the proper solution. I'm not sure how to undo it. I need to educate myself quite a bit more on this stuff.
You said you re-emerged PAM, then showed output indicating that the permissions were suid. If you re-emerged pam with USE=filecaps, that should not have happened, unless you reapplied the permissions change by hand.

You can undo it by setting the permissions back to what they were: 711.

Do you have EXT4_FS_SECURITY enabled in your kernel configuration? If I read the kernel source correctly, that is required to use file capabilities on ext4.
pablo_supertux
Advocate
Advocate

Location: Somewhere between reality and Middle-Earth and in Freiburg (Germany)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

sorry to revive such an old thread, but I'm dealing with exact the same issue here.

neither xscreensaver nor mate-screensaver did accept my password, on the log files, I also got

Quote:

Mar 26 11:05:13 gallifrey xscreensaver[6632]: FAILED LOGIN 1 ON DISPLAY ":0.0", FOR "shaoran"
Mar 26 11:05:17 gallifrey unix_chkpwd[6684]: check pass; user unknown

so after reading this thread I realized that /sbin/unix_chkpwd did not have suid bit set so I tried the chmod 4711 and now it works. However I kept reading and found this:

Hu wrote:

My pam has the filecaps USE flag set, so that's why suid was not set. However the getcap command shows no output and exists with return status 0:

Code:

# getcap /sbin/unix_chkpwd ; echo $?

# getcap -v /sbin/unix_chkpwd ; echo $?
/sbin/unix_chkpwd

Quote:

Do you have EXT4_FS_SECURITY enabled in your kernel configuration? If I read the kernel source correctly, that is required to use file capabilities on ext4.

Yes, it it set.

Code:

# zcat /proc/config.gz | grep EXT4_FS_SECURITY
CONFIG_EXT4_FS_SECURITY=y

In the OP case, getcap returned a "Operation not supported", in my case I just get no output. I don't know how to interpret it. How can I get xscreensaver to work without the incorrect solution if setting suid?
Gilthoniel, A! Elbereth!
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, unix_chkpwd is mode 711 and the getcap output is:
Code:
# getcap /sbin/unix_chkpwd
/sbin/unix_chkpwd cap_dac_override=ep
My =sys-libs/pam-1.5.1 has USE=filecaps enabled. I think we need to understand why your pam is installed without the capabilities enabled. Is your filesystem mounted with xattr enabled?
pablo_supertux
Advocate
Advocate

Location: Somewhere between reality and Middle-Earth and in Freiburg (Germany)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
I think we need to understand why your pam is installed without the capabilities enabled. Is your filesystem mounted with xattr enabled?

I don't know how to check that. My /etc/fstab looks like this:

Code:

UUID="f3963fed-6fab-45b2-870e-c654dbaeb62c"  /            ext4       noatime     0 1

but I also boot with an initrd generated by dracut with this config:

Code:

# Equivalent to -H
hostonly="yes"

omit_dracutmodules+=" dash biosdevname"
show_modules="yes"

i18n_vars="/etc/conf.d/keymaps:keymap-KEYMAP,extended_keymaps-EXT_KEYMAPS /etc/conf.d/consolefont:consolefont-FONT,consoletranslation-FONT_MAP /etc/rc.conf:unicode-UNICODE"

and I build my initrd with dracut -i /lib/firmware/nvidia /lib/firmware/nvidia --kver <kernel version> --force.

The directory /run/initramfs/log/ is empty and dmesg has only a few lines:

Code:

$ dmesg  | grep dracut
[    2.662341] dracut: Checking ext4: /dev/disk/by-uuid/f3963fed-6fab-45b2-870e-c654dbaeb62c
[    2.663005] dracut: issuing e2fsck -a  /dev/disk/by-uuid/f3963fed-6fab-45b2-870e-c654dbaeb62c
[    2.668781] dracut: ROOT: clean, 876388/34422784 files, 20200095/137685169 blocks
[    2.670178] dracut: Mounting /dev/disk/by-uuid/f3963fed-6fab-45b2-870e-c654dbaeb62c with -o rw,noatime,ro
[    2.685973] dracut: Mounted root filesystem /dev/nvme0n1p5
[    2.704281] dracut: Switching root

It's strange that dracut mounts my root partition with rw and ro at the same time, never noticed that.

My GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX variable has only one value "net.ifnames=0", so grub-mkconfig generated this config:

Code:

echo    'Loading Linux 5.4.97-gentoo ...'
    linux   /boot/kernel-5.4.97-gentoo root=UUID=f3963fed-6fab-45b2-870e-c654dbaeb62c ro net.ifnames=0
    echo    'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
    initrd  /boot/initramfs-5.4.97-gentoo.img

Gilthoniel, A! Elbereth!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: