unchangable bad hiDPI scaling with Plasma on Wayland
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wenguiGwok
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject: unchangable bad hiDPI scaling with Plasma on Wayland Reply with quote

i have wayland, egl, gles2 USE globally enabled and able to launch a "Plasma on Wayland" session from sddm login screen.
but what i see within this Wayland session is TERRIBLE. see Fig. 1 and Fig. 2 below.
(had to shoot with cellphone because those widgets auto-close upon spectable screenshot):
Fig. 1 too large calendar occupies almost 80% of the screen width, and letter-spacing ("March") is werid.

Fig. 2 the quicksearch bar shows only half of it (it's crashed somehow and cannot be invoked any more while i'm typing this forum post...)

if i go to display scaling in system settings (which works well under Xorg), the setting panel is just incomplete (Fig. 3) and keeps flickering.
Fig. 3 incomplete setting panel
what is noteworthy is that, the size of the screenshot is 1280 * 720 (half of my "correct" resolution).
and issuing a qdbus org.kde.KWin /KWin org.kde.KWin.supportInformation in CLI confirmed this incorrect resolution.

here is some debug info by launching systemsettings5 from CLI:
Code:

qt5ct: using qt5ct plugin
Using Wayland-EGL
file:///usr/lib64/qt5/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/private/ActionButton.qml:434:21: Cannot assign to non-existent property "checkable"
file:///usr/lib64/qt5/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/private/ActionButton.qml:434:21: Cannot assign to non-existent property "checkable"
KActivities: Database connection:  "kactivities_db_resources_139930695538688_readonly"
    query_only:          QVariant(qlonglong, 1)
    journal_mode:        QVariant(QString, "wal")
    wal_autocheckpoint:  QVariant(qlonglong, 100)
    synchronous:         QVariant(qlonglong, 0)
Nothing to load - the client id is empty
Nothing to load - the client id is empty
file:///usr/share/kpackage/genericqml/org.kde.systemsettings.sidebar/contents/ui/SubCategoryPage.qml:140: Error: Cannot assign to non-existent property "checkable"
kscreen.kcm: LOAD
file:///usr/share/kpackage/genericqml/org.kde.systemsettings.sidebar/contents/ui/SubCategoryPage.qml:140: Error: Cannot assign to non-existent property "checkable"
kscreen.kwayland: Loading Wayland backend.
kscreen.kcm: Activate output 1
KActivitiesStats( 0x55d608117e70 ) ResultModelPrivate::onResultScoreUpdated  result added: "kcm:kcm_kscreen.desktop" score: 29.8335 last: 1522128554 first: 1517121941
Closing SQL connection:  "kactivities_db_resources_139930695538688_readonly"

if i close the flickering window right away, it can be closed; if i keep it there for a while (like 30sec), this GUI window can't be closed the normal way but only by pid kill from CLI.
This very problem can be found also in "Application Style -> Window Decorations", "Desktop Behavior -> Desktop Effects", etc.

my laptop's screen resolution is 2560x1440 (so-called hiDPI). the only graphics card is an Intel HD 5500.

i'm running: KDE Plasma 5.11.5, KDE Frameworks 5.43.0, Qt 5.7.1
emerge --info: https://pastebin.com/ab33Ciq2

actually all display/graphics stuff are good under Xorg, where i'm able to set systemwide scaling, font scaling, etc.

any advice or help would be appreciated!
should more info be needed, please just let me know.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You run plasma, so stop using qt5cfg. If you want to use waylaid, then upgrade to latest ~arch versions of Frameworks, Plasma and Qt.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: