Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Latest film (or show) you're not going to watch?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 17350

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Latest film (or show) you're not going to watch? Reply with quote

Official Cobra Kai Trailer - The Karate Kid saga
_________________
The whole system has to go. The modern criminal justice system is incompatible with Neuroscience. --Sapolsky
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dr.Willy
Guru
Guru


Joined: 15 Jul 2007
Posts: 458
Location: NRW, Germany

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John-Boy
Guru
Guru


Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Posts: 440
Location: Desperately seeking moksha in all the wrong places

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's on the list to watch, right behind Justice League.


The exercise as to if that's a bad thing is left to the reader.
_________________
Like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 131
Location: India

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost rented Justice League on Amazon yesterday. The only reason I held back was because of the fat man playing Batman.
_________________
"Defeat is a state of mind. No one is ever defeated, until defeat has been accepted as a reality." -- Bruce Lee
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John-Boy
Guru
Guru


Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Posts: 440
Location: Desperately seeking moksha in all the wrong places

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
I almost rented Justice League on Amazon yesterday.


I've come close a couple of times.

Alcohol is a terrible, terrible thing - you rent something like that and wake up feeling cheap, humilated and used in the morning.
_________________
Like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 131
Location: India

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hear! Hear!
_________________
"Defeat is a state of mind. No one is ever defeated, until defeat has been accepted as a reality." -- Bruce Lee
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cokey
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 23 Apr 2004
Posts: 3343

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucifer on amazon prime. My gf keeps trying to get me to watch it
_________________
"Sex: breakfast of champions" - James Hunt
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
saellaven
Guru
Guru


Joined: 23 Jul 2006
Posts: 480

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo... The Last Jedi killed all of my interest in the Star Wars universe.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 241
Location: West Bank of the Coast Fork

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saellaven wrote:
Solo... The Last Jedi killed all of my interest in the Star Wars universe.
After Rogue One, I thought there was hope, yet Last Jedi dashed all on jagged rocks of bad acting, bad scripts, and someone masquerading as Luke Skywalker.
_________________
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
George Orwell

It just keeps getting better
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 17350

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saellaven wrote:
Solo... The Last Jedi killed all of my interest in the Star Wars universe.
++

Didn't see it because I expected them to deliberately mess it up. Then I found enough spoilers.


Old School wrote:
After Rogue One, I thought there was hope, yet Last Jedi dashed all on jagged rocks of bad acting, bad scripts, and someone masquerading as Luke Skywalker.
I was pretty certain it was over with whatever they called 7, but hoped I was wrong. I had accepted that they were going to kill off Luke, and just hoped they did right by the character. R1 was bad, but not as bad as 7, just pointless.

I may not waste my time with anything new until they figure out to not waste my time with awful and not needed reboots and remakes, and just plain garbage.
_________________
The whole system has to go. The modern criminal justice system is incompatible with Neuroscience. --Sapolsky
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 241
Location: West Bank of the Coast Fork

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll never again see one in the theater.
_________________
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
George Orwell

It just keeps getting better
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
saellaven
Guru
Guru


Joined: 23 Jul 2006
Posts: 480

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
saellaven wrote:
Solo... The Last Jedi killed all of my interest in the Star Wars universe.
After Rogue One, I thought there was hope, yet Last Jedi dashed all on jagged rocks of bad acting, bad scripts, and someone masquerading as Luke Skywalker.


I found Rogue One to be horribly mediocre... the story was meh, the characters had absolutely no development, and, outside of "these are the people that we know get the plans to the Death Star," there was no reason for me to like any of the characters. They could have done so much more with that movie. It was disappointing, but serviceable.

TLJ was just terrible at every level - from the terrible opening jokes and misplaced forced humor, to intentionally cutting away from meaningful moments (Rey tells Luke Han is dead and... cut scene to a joke rather than see him react), to the complete misunderstanding of characters (Jake Skywalker), to the attempt to get us to sympathize with a mass murderer (Kylo) and - according to some - buy into a Reylo relationship (sorry, I never picked up love interest vibes), to the horrible 40 minute meaningless distraction on the casino plot just to give Finn something to do, the attempted feminism which failed on every level (and I swear Rian doesn't know how to write a female character at all and all of the women in this movie are pathetic tropes) and the creation of new, useless one dimensional stereotypical characters, to the stupidity of the plot, the continuity errors, the violation of important historical canon (force users can't activate light sabres with telekinesis for a reason, they've now weaponized light speed so why both with the attacks on the death star if we could just lightspeed ram it?), and the violations within the internal plot of the movie itself, etc. I swear that, at every opportunity to do something serious or cool, they deliberately missed the opportunity, and that, with every possible story decision, they took the worst option they could think of.

By the end of the movie, I no longer cared about what is coming in Episode 9 (is there any story left to tell?), the characters from the earlier movies (who are all unceremoniously dead after destroying their legacy), etc. Rey is such a Mary Sue that I'm no longer vested in her (despite loving her potential in TFA and feeling like, as a woman that identified more with Luke than Leia, having a hero of my own). I can't take Kylo seriously as the head of the First Order and Hux is such a laughing stock, he's not even interesting as the leader of the First Order's military. Leia will die off screen. I don't care about Rose. The one character I may have cared about a little, Finn, had his character development utterly halted while some crazy girl went, well, crazy for the guy she tazed a couple hours earlier.

Kathleen Kennedy needs to be fired and Rian Johnson should never work for Lucasfilm again (much less have a trilogy of his own).

Forget never seeing one in the theater again... I don't care to watch the discs I already own, much less bother to catch new ones when they become available on free TV.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 18 Apr 2009
Posts: 5166

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of them. I wouldn't even bother pirating the blue and orange slurry hollywood dumps into civilization, none of it interests me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HungGarTiger
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 04 Feb 2014
Posts: 145
Location: /nz/auckland

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Panther
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sugar
Guru
Guru


Joined: 07 Aug 2004
Posts: 579
Location: Morrinsville, New Zealand

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
I'll never again see one in the theater.


I said that after the prequels. They were an order of magnitude times more awful than anything coming out now.
_________________
He who calls for full employment calls for war!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John-Boy
Guru
Guru


Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Posts: 440
Location: Desperately seeking moksha in all the wrong places

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem I had with Rogue One is erm ...Galen Erso, I kept hearing Galen Arsehole for some reason.
_________________
Like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 10 Apr 2004
Posts: 5684

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John-Boy wrote:
I kept hearing Galen Arsehole for some reason.


one of those already exists. :lol:
_________________
overlay | patches
Neddyseagoon wrote:
The problem with leaving is that you can only do it once and it reduces your influence.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cokey
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 23 Apr 2004
Posts: 3343

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Latest film (or show) you're not going to watch? Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Official Cobra Kai Trailer - The Karate Kid saga
What are you on about? That looks AWESOME!!!
_________________
"Sex: breakfast of champions" - James Hunt
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cokey
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 23 Apr 2004
Posts: 3343

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
CREED 2 - Sylvester Stallone, Dolph Lundgren

Quote:
Adonis Creed, the son of the Heavyweight champion Apollo Creed travels to Russia seeking revenge for his father's death after hearing that his killer- Former Soviet Boxer Ivan Drago was released from Russian prison


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrWNl8grkrU
_________________
"Sex: breakfast of champions" - James Hunt
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
patrix_neo
Guru
Guru


Joined: 08 Jan 2004
Posts: 445
Location: The Maldives

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arent it easier just to tell what to watch?

Everyone wants to watch He-Man. So what's the fuss?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 241
Location: West Bank of the Coast Fork

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Latest film (or show) you're not going to watch? Reply with quote

cokey wrote:
pjp wrote:
Official Cobra Kai Trailer - The Karate Kid saga
What are you on about? That looks AWESOME!!!
++

That's what I think. I was showing the wife one of the trailers, and she says,"I hope he kicks Daniel's ass!"
_________________
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
George Orwell

It just keeps getting better
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
patrix_neo
Guru
Guru


Joined: 08 Jan 2004
Posts: 445
Location: The Maldives

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saellaven wrote:
Old School wrote:
saellaven wrote:
Solo... The Last Jedi killed all of my interest in the Star Wars universe.
After Rogue One, I thought there was hope, yet Last Jedi dashed all on jagged rocks of bad acting, bad scripts, and someone masquerading as Luke Skywalker.


I found Rogue One to be horribly mediocre... the story was meh, the characters had absolutely no development, and, outside of "these are the people that we know get the plans to the Death Star," there was no reason for me to like any of the characters. They could have done so much more with that movie. It was disappointing, but serviceable.

TLJ was just terrible at every level - from the terrible opening jokes and misplaced forced humor, to intentionally cutting away from meaningful moments (Rey tells Luke Han is dead and... cut scene to a joke rather than see him react), to the complete misunderstanding of characters (Jake Skywalker), to the attempt to get us to sympathize with a mass murderer (Kylo) and - according to some - buy into a Reylo relationship (sorry, I never picked up love interest vibes), to the horrible 40 minute meaningless distraction on the casino plot just to give Finn something to do, the attempted feminism which failed on every level (and I swear Rian doesn't know how to write a female character at all and all of the women in this movie are pathetic tropes) and the creation of new, useless one dimensional stereotypical characters, to the stupidity of the plot, the continuity errors, the violation of important historical canon (force users can't activate light sabres with telekinesis for a reason, they've now weaponized light speed so why both with the attacks on the death star if we could just lightspeed ram it?), and the violations within the internal plot of the movie itself, etc. I swear that, at every opportunity to do something serious or cool, they deliberately missed the opportunity, and that, with every possible story decision, they took the worst option they could think of.

By the end of the movie, I no longer cared about what is coming in Episode 9 (is there any story left to tell?), the characters from the earlier movies (who are all unceremoniously dead after destroying their legacy), etc. Rey is such a Mary Sue that I'm no longer vested in her (despite loving her potential in TFA and feeling like, as a woman that identified more with Luke than Leia, having a hero of my own). I can't take Kylo seriously as the head of the First Order and Hux is such a laughing stock, he's not even interesting as the leader of the First Order's military. Leia will die off screen. I don't care about Rose. The one character I may have cared about a little, Finn, had his character development utterly halted while some crazy girl went, well, crazy for the guy she tazed a couple hours earlier.

Kathleen Kennedy needs to be fired and Rian Johnson should never work for Lucasfilm again (much less have a trilogy of his own).

Forget never seeing one in the theater again... I don't care to watch the discs I already own, much less bother to catch new ones when they become available on free TV.


You should check out the Teletubies... way more character and plots. Worst thing is I am not kidding you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 131
Location: India

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melissa McCarthy apparent not content with butchering other films, sets sight on Sesame Street.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5772967/Sesame-Street-takes-legal-action-obscene-new-puppet-movie-Happytime-Murders.html
_________________
"Defeat is a state of mind. No one is ever defeated, until defeat has been accepted as a reality." -- Bruce Lee
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tuggbuss
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Mar 2017
Posts: 208

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything "Star Wars"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Marcih
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 19 Feb 2018
Posts: 81

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want Star Wars Expanded Universe ("""Legends""" if you're a braindead Disney human) to come back. I always found both the Old Republic era (especially circa the Mandalorian Wars like in the KotOR games), the not-shown-in-films-but-Clone-Wars era (Republic Commando and The Force Unleashed were good) and the what's-now-being-butchered-after-fall-of-the-Empire era so fun. I never really cared for the films themselves, I much prefered the EU books and games. It seems like the people writing those stories had more creativity and talent than everybody working on all existing current-canon Star Wars material combined.
_________________
Bones McCracker wrote:
It wouldn't be so bad, if it didn't suck.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum