Installing Gentoo on PowerMac 9600 problems - hwsetup fails
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xav2075
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Installing Gentoo on PowerMac 9600 problems - hwsetup fails Reply with quote

Trying to install Gentoo Linux on this banger. Using bootX (https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:PPC/Installation/Media#Alternative:_Booting_the_installation_CD_with_BootX) with the kernel and ram disk image files from install-powerpc-minimal-20140713.iso. One problem is where booting stalls on detecting the SCSI cd-rom a Matshita CR-8012 that otherwise works fine in Mac OS 9. I can get around this by plugging in a PCI IDE\SATA adapter and connect a IDE CD-ROM to that with the Gentoo minimal CD. Then boot continues until failing at hwsetup.

Any tips on how to get hwsetup to work so I can get stuck in and start installing Gentoo.
rbshep78
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you hook up the disc to another PPC machine? Then boot the CD , mac-fdisk partition / mkfs.ext4 and extract the stage3 tarball? And as a minimum, set a root password ;)

You should be able to copy the kernel and initrd from the CD to your Mac OS partition and continue to use BootX, i've used the CD kernel / initrd with grub before.

I don't know the exact parameters you would need to specify the root device though - root=/dev/sdaX perhaps?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: