[SOLVED] Kontact/KMail crashes
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lebkoungcity
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Kontact/KMail crashes Reply with quote

Good evening,

some time ago I had a problem with java/icedtea which is solved by now: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1077086-highlight-.html :D

I tried to solve this problem with different actions (like re-compiling all sorts of things) and unfortunately I made a big mistake when I thought I could try a newer (unstable) version of glibc. This is the way sys-libs/glibc-2.26-r5 found its way on the system. Afterwards a new problem became visible:
Kontact crashes when I try to read certain eMails in KMail. I don't know what's special in those eMails - at least they have in common that they contain HTML and external sources of pictures.

This is the output when I start Kontact in a terminal:
Code:
$ kontact
kf5.kxmlgui: cannot find .rc file "kontactsummary_part.rc" for component "kontact"
No such XML file "/home/andy/.local/share/kontact/default-.rc"
*** KMail got signal 11 (Exiting)
*** Dead letters dumped.
KCrash: Application 'kontact' crashing...
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib/libexec/drkonqi from kdeinit
sock_file=/var/run/user/1000/kdeinit5__0

[1]+  Angehalten              kontact

And a moment later the terminal is flooded with:
Code:
$ QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 8 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 80 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 59 and type 'Read', disabling...
[warn] epoll_wait: Ungültiger Dateideskriptor

(the '[warn] epoll_wait: Ungültiger Dateideskriptor' - maybe 'invalid file describtor'? - is repeated again and again...)

What did I try to solve this:
    - downgrade glibc to the previous - stable - version (this was the moment portage remembered me that there was something special with glibc...) - so I kept sys-libs/glibc-2.26-r5
    - recompile the complete list of dev-qt, kde-frameworks, kde-plasma and all of kde-apps related to Kontact/KMail - no difference
    - I upgraded to versions: qt >5.9.5, kde-frameworks >5.45.0, kde-plasma >5.13.0, kde-apps >17.13.0 - no difference
    - recompiled binutils, glibc, libtool - no difference
    - made a clean start of akonadi like described here: https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/pim/kmail2/clean-start-after-a-failed-migration.html - lot's of traffic on the network but no difference

I hesitate to upgrade glibc to a newer - even more unstable? - version to see if this would help... I don't want to go further on this dark and uncertain one-way street :wink:
And I don't even know if the crashes are related to sys-libs/glibc-2.26-r5...

Is there anybody out there with some hints what to do next?

Thanks!
Andy

Last edited by Lebkoungcity on Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:04 am; edited 2 times in total
Lebkoungcity
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I think it's solved.
Since then I have always updated dev-qt/*, kde-plasma/*, kde-frameworks/* and kde-apps/* to the latest unstable - last Friday kde-apps/* was put to kde-apps/*-18.04.0. And afterwards kmail/kontact didn't crash anymore (even not with the 'test-emails' I used to test if it would crash).
Now I hope this issue will not come back because I still don't know what caused it in the end :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: