Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Firefox right click context menu "back" ... disable?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Firefox right click context menu "back" ... disabl Reply with quote

Long shot...

This would be an "accessibility" issue. Sort of. Maybe my mouse buttons need to have stronger pushback against my heavy hand.

My hand sort of rests on my mouse and occasionally clicks the right mouse button and I notice so I lift my finger. Normally it would pull up a context menu and be fairly benign. However if I drag the slightest bit, it will select the first context item.

That first context item tends to be "back" or undo or something not so benign which changes pages or destroys whatever I was doing, which is extremely annoying, depending on where it gets clicked. What would be nice if that first option in the context was a blank item so it would not do anything unless I dragged more.

Maybe this is just a pet peeve or something. Or I need a new mouse because no problems with the left mouse button...
Apheus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting from firefox-58, there is an about:config option to change the rightclick behaviour to windows-style: Trigger the context menu on mouse-up, not on mouse-down. Gesture-addons like FoxyGestures or Gesturify intercept that if the mouse has been dragged between up and down, to do their gesture magic and suppress the context menu.

The option is

Code:
ui.context_menus.after_mouseup=true

Set that option to true and no accidental commands should happen. You would have to left click again to trigger a command.

Before firefox quantum - as in current stable 52.x - Gesture addons did some internal magic to change that behaviour. Install one of these if you use a pre-quantum firefox version. FireGestures is the most popular, I think.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could probably do something with the userChrome.css file to add a bit of blank space at the top of the context menu. I've never used it though, maybe someone else who knows the weird XUL internals can explain it.
skellr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
You could probably do something with the userChrome.css file to add a bit of blank space at the top of the context menu. I've never used it though, maybe someone else who knows the weird XUL internals can explain it.

This!

The themers @mozillazine might be able to help you out.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: