[SOLVED] About eudev...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vcmota
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] About eudev... Reply with quote

I was in the process of searching for a good tutorial for udev, which I believed to be the default option for my minimal install, when I found out that what I have installed is virtual/udev and not sys-fs/udev, and that I had sys-fs/eudev installed instead. For what I have read I got the impression that there is/was a kind of a civil war between eudev and udev advocates, and I read somewhere that udev was the gentoo default. I do not recall the post, but since I am using openrc the default is eudev instead. Although I prefer the default option, I am fine choosing either one of them, but whoever I choose I want to master its usage. So I have two questions: 1) why do I have sys-fs/eudev and virtual/udev, why not just sys-fs/eudev? 2) is there a tutorial for writing eudev rules? Because there are for udev, but I could not find yet none for eudev. Thank you all !

Last edited by vcmota on Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zucca

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rules and tutorials for udev work on eudev too. eudev was forked from udev to be a standalone project, seperated from systemd.

virtual/udev is a virtual package, not a real one. It's there to pull either eudev or udev with it upon install. Its purpose is to tell portage that there is an udev or udev compatible device manager installed into the running system.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
gerard27
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK eudev rules are the same as udev.
Eudev was created to protect openrc users from systemd making udev unsuited to openrc.
Gerard.

zucca ninjaed me.
http://www.sysresccd.org/Download

Last edited by gerard27 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vcmota,

Today, eudev and udev are functionally interchangeable. Even down to the files that they install and the rules they read.
You can learn either.

You have virtual/udev so that packages can depend on virtual/udev without caring about what you have installed to satisfy the dependency.
virtual/udev will make sure you have something and eudev is preferred over udev.

The fork came about because udev was subsumed into systemd and the systemd developers declared a goal of making it impossible to use udev without systemd.
That hasn't happened ... yet.

If you use systemd today, you get udev for free and cannot have eudev.
If you don't use systemd, you can choose any of the packages that satisfy virtual/udev.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

udev is the default device manager if you use the systemd stage3 tarball
eudev is the default device manager if you use the standard stage3 tarball

virtual/udev (and all virtuals) is gentoo's method of providing dependency management for children while providing the end-user with options for packages that are drop-in-replacements.

Right now udev and eudev are drop in replacements. If you want udev then you can choose to emerge this.

eudev was created/forked as a mitigation for some very VERY aggressive rhetoric and coding from systemd developers, ie this wasn't just done because someone said something, actual code changes occured...
vcmota
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all guys for your kind replies, I understand now the situation. Thank you again.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: