Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[Solved] Dolphin slow to start on laptop with ssd
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
The_Document
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 03 Feb 2018
Posts: 265

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: [Solved] Dolphin slow to start on laptop with ssd Reply with quote

Heres what it says when launching from command line:
Code:
zakhar@laptop ~ $ dolphin
kf5.kio.core: Refilling KProtocolInfoFactory cache in the hope to find "stash"
kf5.kio.core: Refilling KProtocolInfoFactory cache in the hope to find "mtp"
kf5.kio.core: Refilling KProtocolInfoFactory cache in the hope to find "mtp"
kf5.kio.core: Refilling KProtocolInfoFactory cache in the hope to find "mtp"
org.kde.dolphin: Ignore KIO url: QUrl("timeline:/today")
org.kde.dolphin: Ignore KIO url: QUrl("timeline:/yesterday")
org.kde.dolphin: Ignore KIO url: QUrl("timeline:/thismonth")
org.kde.dolphin: Ignore KIO url: QUrl("timeline:/lastmonth")
org.kde.dolphin: Ignore KIO url: QUrl("search:/documents")
org.kde.dolphin: Ignore KIO url: QUrl("search:/images")
org.kde.dolphin: Ignore KIO url: QUrl("search:/audio")
org.kde.dolphin: Ignore KIO url: QUrl("search:/videos")
qt.accessibility.core: Cannot create accessible child interface for object:  PlacesView(0x55a5e7ce5a90)  index:  5
kf5.kio.core: KSambaShare: Could not find smb.conf!


pretty sure can be optimised not sure how. Help needed.


Last edited by The_Document on Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blopsalot
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 28 Jan 2017
Posts: 231

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aasdasasdasdas

Last edited by blopsalot on Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The_Document
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 03 Feb 2018
Posts: 265

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blopsalot wrote:
dolphin needs a bug report to stabilize a current snapshot and/or fixing the git build. They don't do releases for linux anymore. 5 is a couple years old now. running from git is preferred upstream at this point after 5 was stabilized.

here's a working git ebuild, i just removed the section moving around the externals and such
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1076674-postdays-0-postorder-asc-start-25.html


This is for kde-apps/dolphin. I was wondering why it had wxwidget support.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mike155
l33t
l33t


Joined: 17 Sep 2010
Posts: 995
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Document: the output of dolphin you showed in your first post is fine. I get nearly the same output (especially the message 'Cannot create accessible child interface'), but dolphin starts quickly.

1) Did you emerge dolphin with USE flag semantic-desktop? If you did: what happens if you emerge it without that USE flag?

2) Do you know strace? I would strace dolphin to find out what happens when it's slow to start.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The_Document
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 03 Feb 2018
Posts: 265

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike155 wrote:
The_Document: the output of dolphin you showed in your first post is fine. I get nearly the same output (especially the message 'Cannot create accessible child interface'), but dolphin starts quickly.

1) Did you emerge dolphin with USE flag semantic-desktop? If you did: what happens if you emerge it without that USE flag?

2) Do you know strace? I would strace dolphin to find out what happens when it's slow to start.


kde-apps/dolphin is built with semantic-desktop, I don't know strace but I did run:

Code:
strace -o log.txt dolphin


output:
https://paste.pound-python.org/show/1nH1xNf9PLkHWSC5ZJsq/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mike155
l33t
l33t


Joined: 17 Sep 2010
Posts: 995
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_document: thanks for your data.

1) Please emerge dolphin WITHOUT USE flag 'semantic-desktop'. Is it still slow? Or is it faster?

2) I looked at your strace file. I didn't find anything wrong, but I noticed that there are many systems calls regarding /sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00. This could be the problem, but it can also be perfectly fine.

OK, please test without USE flag 'semantic-desktop' first. If this doesn't help, please post the output of:
Code:
strace -f -T -tt -o log.txt dolphin

The output will contain timestamps, which will tell us what takes time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The_Document
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 03 Feb 2018
Posts: 265

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike155 wrote:
The_document: thanks for your data.

1) Please emerge dolphin WITHOUT USE flag 'semantic-desktop'. Is it still slow? Or is it faster?

2) I looked at your strace file. I didn't find anything wrong, but I noticed that there are many systems calls regarding /sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00. This could be the problem, but it can also be perfectly fine.

OK, please test without USE flag 'semantic-desktop' first. If this doesn't help, please post the output of:
Code:
strace -f -T -tt -o log.txt dolphin

The output will contain timestamps, which will tell us what takes time.


Code:
strace -f -T -tt -o log.txt dolphin

without semantic-desktop yeilds
https://paste.pound-python.org/show/ZIzHVMkGzwLQuLHDn9Vp/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mike155
l33t
l33t


Joined: 17 Sep 2010
Posts: 995
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at your strace file. It seems that dolphin needs approx. 4 seconds to start up. Correct?

1) Unfortunately, there is no single event which consumes extraordinarily long time. So there is no easy solution.

2) It seems that either your CPU or your filesystem is a little slower than my computer. But that could explain 1 second delay - not 4.

3) Dolphin on your computer scans many files in /sys, which takes time. To give you an idea: 'grep /sys/devices log.txt | wc -l' gives 20 on my computer, but 9000 on your log file. I have no idea why dolphin scans so many files in /sys. But I guess that this could be the cause for the delay. Maybe something is wrong with your device management?

I'm sorry. I can't help you any further.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The_Document
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 03 Feb 2018
Posts: 265

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike155 wrote:
I looked at your strace file. It seems that dolphin needs approx. 4 seconds to start up. Correct?

1) Unfortunately, there is no single event which consumes extraordinarily long time. So there is no easy solution.

2) It seems that either your CPU or your filesystem is a little slower than my computer. But that could explain 1 second delay - not 4.

3) Dolphin on your computer scans many files in /sys, which takes time. To give you an idea: 'grep /sys/devices log.txt | wc -l' gives 20 on my computer, but 9000 on your log file. I have no idea why dolphin scans so many files in /sys. But I guess that this could be the cause for the delay. Maybe something is wrong with your device management?

I'm sorry. I can't help you any further.


I truly believe its an issue with devices. I posted to kde bugs.

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=391738
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum